Schefter: Bills tried acquiring Chris Johnson

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WORD!!!

Skycap has it pegged.

Who cares whose contract is up, whose old and is a nice f'in guy or who signed with the Bills in free agency. It doesn't matter.

If the opportunity is there to upgrade your team with a pro bowl talent, you do it! Is he better than Fred? Hell yes everyday. Will Freds feelings be hurt? Who the F cares? This management and coaching group want to win and win now. They don't give a rats a$$ who gets shoved off the bus or into a retirement home. Winning is all that matters and every fan of this team should see that right now!!

Fred had a higher yards per carry and more TDs last year with less carries.

And why should we care whose contracts are up? Let's just let guys walk for nothing and not worry about maximizing our assets. Let's not have a well thought out plan. Thanks for the well thought out plan!! I'm sure that you are right on the Bills line of thinking.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I don't think Marrone likes the way Spiller runs. Yes, he is electrifying when he gets it right, but too often he created negative plays this year and you can't have that when you're trying to develop a rookie QB. Getting behind the chains early is the kiss of death. To me this is further proof that they want to go a different direction at RB sooner rather than later. We'll know for sure if they reach out and try to sign him. You'd figure they are willing to offer some good money seeing as they were willing to trade for him at his current salary, right? It also seems like they've been sniffing around a lot of RBs with interviews and pre-draft visits. Off the top of my head they've spoken with Andre Williams, Lache Seastrunk, and Hill from LSU.

Very interested to see how it plays out. I can't imagine they keep Spiller if they sign Johnson. Who would trade for CJ though knowing you'll probably just cut him? IMO Spiller could be devastating in Denver with all that room to run.

I don't think Marrone likes the way Spiller runs. Yes, he is electrifying when he gets it right, but too often he created negative plays this year and you can't have that when you're trying to develop a rookie QB. Getting behind the chains early is the kiss of death. To me this is further proof that they want to go a different direction at RB sooner rather than later. We'll know for sure if they reach out and try to sign him. You'd figure they are willing to offer some good money seeing as they were willing to trade for him at his current salary, right? It also seems like they've been sniffing around a lot of RBs with interviews and pre-draft visits. Off the top of my head they've spoken with Andre Williams, Lache Seastrunk, and Hill from LSU.

Very interested to see how it plays out. I can't imagine they keep Spiller if they sign Johnson. Who would trade for CJ though knowing you'll probably just cut him? IMO Spiller could be devastating in Denver with all that room to run.

Great post. I don't think that they will release CJ. He will either be traded or play out his contract. I have mentioned in a few places using CJ and the 9th pick to move up. They may even have that deal on the table already.

Can't disagree with anything you said. Marrone wants to run the ball through the line and wants an RB who can block. Spiller can be deadly when he turns the corner, but I think Marrone honestly wants a TT type back who can run up the gut and make people miss, pass block and catch and make plays....

Great post. I don't think that they will release CJ. He will either be traded or play out his contract. I have mentioned in a few places using CJ and the 9th pick to move up. They may even have that deal on the table already.

While I would love Clowney; I think we would trade up for Mack (Hometown and SU players). Clowney could be even better than Mario and gives us a second deadly DE and a ridiculous front 4. Mack would be a force to be reckoned with as well.

Lots of WR talent, Williams might be enough for us to get by with this year well a later round big WR develops...

Not trying to hijack, just wanted to respond...

Fred had a higher yards per carry and more TDs last year with less carries.

And why should we care whose contracts are up? Let's just let guys walk for nothing and not worry about maximizing our assets. Let's not have a well thought out plan. Thanks for the well thought out plan!! I'm sure that you are right on the Bills line of thinking.

I don't disagree with the fact that maximizing our current assets is the way to go, but I don't think the current management is going to sit around to wait and see if cj is going to sign an extension either. If they trade him great, if he walks so be it. This current staff didn't draft him, nor do I think they would have given the chance. I'm just saying that if the opportunity is there to upgrade your team regardless whose feelings get hurt, you do it.

I'm a huge fan of spillers and I do like everything Fred has done for the Bills. All I am saying is that this new management/coaching staff is going in a new direction. Half of the players under gailey were gone last year and the rest are soon to follow. Don't be surprised to see maybe 6-10 players left from the team that played in 2012.

It's a new era for the Bills and hopefully new results.

I don't disagree with the fact that maximizing our current assets is the way to go, but I don't think the current management is going to sit around to wait and see if cj is going to sign an extension either. If they trade him great, if he walks so be it. This current staff didn't draft him, nor do I think they would have given the chance. I'm just saying that if the opportunity is there to upgrade your team regardless whose feelings get hurt, you do it.

I'm a huge fan of spillers and I do like everything Fred has done for the Bills. All I am saying is that this new management/coaching staff is going in a new direction. Half of the players under gailey were gone last year and the rest are soon to follow. Don't be surprised to see maybe 6-10 players left from the team that played in 2012.

It's a new era for the Bills and hopefully new results.

I agree with all of that. This staff has been and will continue to be aggressive it appears. I think that Spiller may very well be on his way out but they will only do it if they are getting good value back. Freddie had 890 yards, 4.3 YPC and 9 TDs and is a team captain. He will be back but I suspect that this will be his last year (maybe 1 more). I am with you though that whatever it takes to make this team better -do it.

I just don't see CJ2K and Spiller on the roster. I don't recall a team having 2 speed backs? If they add Johnson I would be very surprised if they didn't subtract Spiller.

Dallas just had two in Demarco Murray and Felix Jones. How about Forsett and Williams in Carolina?

Because by next year you can't pay both. I would guess that Johnson will be at least $3-$4m (he was scheduled for $8m). Spiller is going to want to get paid after this season and you may get ahead of it and trade him to avoid a Byrd situation (the Houston rumors are already out there). It's possible that they have a standing offer in place with Spiller and 9.

How many teams have 2 elusive speed backs (ever)? I can't think of 1. You just won't invest that kind of money in duplicate players, at least no one that I can think of ever has. I would be really surprised if it was both.

I'd think Spiller is smart enough to see that the RB isn't getting the big bucks they used to. Look at what happened to the FA RBs this year.

Dallas just had two in Demarco Murray and Felix Jones. How about Forsett and Williams in Carolina?

I wouldn't say Williams is in that mold but Dallas is a good call. I think that both of those guys run like that. As soon as Murray emerged though Jones was gone. There aren't many examples as most teams try to build with complimentary skill sets. FJax is the complete back, Dixon the power guy and Spiller the speed back. Who knows what the plan is but based on the CJ2K rumors and the number of RBs in for pre draft visits they have to be considering one.

ugh so many of you dont get that spiller was the number one weapon banged up or not.

If you were playing the Bills and had to game plan against their offense you would key in on Spiller every play and dare someone else to beat you. EJ hasnt proven he can consistently.

Healthy Spiller was good enough to make Gailey look good (if 6-10 is good), but banged up Spiller was not enough to make Hackett and his carousel of QBs look good, especially since the book was out on Spiller.

Spot on. I'm a little taken aback by the amount of Spiller haters. This offense was completely 1 dimensional last season; zero threat from our passing game. When you're starting a rookie or Thad Lewis or Jeff Tuel at QB, defenses know they can stack the box & go after the Bills' most dangerous weapon: CJ Spiller. This completely one dimensional aspect of the offense is what really did this team in. You can't win in today's game when the defense knows that you're going to run the ball because your QB is so inept.

Spiller also dealt with injuries (knee, ankle) yet still appeared in 15 games and started 10 of those. The injuries to players around him also had a negative effect. Even with his nagging injuries, defenses' focusing on him completely knowing that Thad Tuel couldn't complete a 10 yard slant, Spiller still managed a respectable season:

202 / 933 / 4.6ypc

What really concerned me was that his receptions dropped to only 33- that's barely 2 receptions per game. He needs to be in the 4-5 receptions per game category. Spiller proved he is one of the most deadly players in space & he should have been a main stay in the passing game. Especially with their inexperience at QB- the screen pass and wheel route should have been their young QB's best friends.

You don't get rid of Spiller because he doesn't fit into Hackett's scheme; you get rid of Hackett and his terrible scheme if that's how he views a player like Spiller. For Christ's sake, Spiller averaged 6 yards per carry on OVER 200 carries. That is almost unheard of & truly elite production. Yes, he will never be that 300+ carry, ram straight down your throat type RB but that is why you have FJax & Anthony Dixon

Once they add a OT in the 1st coupled with the additions of Mike Williams & Chris Williams, and EJ Manuel not being a rookie a healthy Spiller should pick up right where he left off in 2012

Edited by smapdi

You're forgetting the players themselves have egos and aren't automatons. Why would either one want to split carries when they can be the number 1 back on nearly any other team in the league? They're already going to have to split carries with Freddy.

im guessing they wouldn't mind splitting caries when they are each getting 15 carries a game. and I'm sorry i don't have a ton of faith freddy will be as good as he has been. how many 33yo running backs are there in the league?

the love for fred is strong but he's gonna be done sooner rather than later. its just the way it is.

Because by next year you can't pay both. I would guess that Johnson will be at least $3-$4m (he was scheduled for $8m). Spiller is going to want to get paid after this season and you may get ahead of it and trade him to avoid a Byrd situation (the Houston rumors are already out there). It's possible that they have a standing offer in place with Spiller and 9.

How many teams have 2 elusive speed backs (ever)? I can't think of 1. You just won't invest that kind of money in duplicate players, at least no one that I can think of ever has. I would be really surprised if it was both.

from what we just saw in free agency running backs are not being paid like they use to. and cj2k turns 29 in september so if he is signed for a one year deal what kinda deal is a 30yo speed RB gonna get in 2015? bills will have more than enough to sign them both.

Spliier is more flash then substance. Which usually means the player gets over paid. Second his -1 , 2 ,3 no gain then 20 yard plays is not how some coaches want to run their teams. Barry Sanders had that trait and it doesn't lead to winning teams. Give me a Curtis Martin type anyday. So now you have a talented player who could be over payed in the free agent market and a coach who doesn't like east west home run hitters and it is easy to conclude Spiller is not long for the team. I like the Idea of using him as a chip during the draft. It is a weak running back class so interest should be there. Thinking 49ers . They could use breakaaway speed and have 2 second round picks

Spiller is precisely the kind of player whom Jerry Jones would love to acquire - I've always thought so. If there is a deal to be made, it's very likely with the Cowboys. I could also see the Falcons going for him. Considering he's a running back and he's in a contract year, make the trade if you can get a high pick or two in return.

Spiller is precisely the kind of player whom Jerry Jones would love to acquire - I've always thought so. If there is a deal to be made, it's very likely with the Cowboys. I could also see the Falcons going for him. Considering he's a running back and he's in a contract year, make the trade if you can get a high pick or two in return.

The Saints make the most sense to me. Their window is small and Payton has had great success with Bush and later Sproles. They have a lot of confidence in Khiry Robinson but if given the chance to acquire Spiller I would think that they would jump at it. Payton would use him exactly as he should be used.

Every time the Bills played the Titans when CJ2K was on that team, CJ2K absolutely gashed us. Imagine him being on an AFC East team, now the Bills must face him twice. Trying to obtain him in a trade could have been more of an attempt to keep him from joining the enemy. Once he went to free agency, there is no way to stop him from joining the Patriots, Jets, or Dolphins

Bills likely don't think a RB is worth paying what Spiller will demand once he voids the final year of his contract after next year, and I can't blame them with the number of low round picks and UFA's that have become stars at RB...probably more than any other position it doesn't matter where they get one, they can get a good player if its the right player

Edited by matter2003