Schefter: Bills tried acquiring Chris Johnson

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the aggressiveness

Well, our FO is certainly getting after it.

Definitely. I'm not sure if this is a player they should have gone after, but you have to give credit to Whaley & Co. for being aggressive, as they said they would be.

I won't like that at all but that's just me. Spiller is special and we're goign to get a good prospect at #9 anyways.

Not sure this staff views Spiller as special. Especially the way last year went, and his penchant for getting strung out. At Syracuse,Marrone used the speed back, Prince Tyson-Gulley, as more of a change up. Maybe Spiller will be traded to move up in the draft. They certainly seem to be bringing in power backs to OBD.

think about it:

Fred is 33, CJ is in a contract year. In one season our runningback core could be our biggest problem.

This.

I imagine FredEx might be retiring after this season, and we'll see if we have the cap space to keep CJ (hopefully Mario can take a pay cut?). I won't be surprised if we draft a RB in the middle rounds this year.

Not sure this staff views Spiller as special. Especially the way last year went, and his penchant for getting strung out. At Syracuse,Marrone used the speed back, Prince Tyson-Gulley, as more of a change up. Maybe Spiller will be traded to move up in the draft. They certainly seem to be bringing in power backs to OBD.

Dixon is certainly a power guy. Seastrunk and Chris Johnson are definitely speed guys. There is no need to have 2 speed guys at RB. I can't think of any team that does. That's kind of why they call them "change of pace" backs. I cannot imagine a scenario where your RBs include Spiller and either of those guys. Something's up...

think about it:

Fred is 33, CJ is in a contract year. In one season our runningback core could be our biggest problem.

This is a valid point.

Let's not forget that we did sign Anthony Dixon, whom I think will be doing more than just Special Teams. Granted he's not a spectacular RB, but he is a good insurance policy.

think about it:

I'll do you one better - CJ AND Fred are both in contract years.

After this season, they don't have a starting caliber RB under contract. I expected them to take one in the draft to protect themselves in case CJ leaves and/or Fred starts to break down. So it's not all that surprising.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

Well, I'd be very disappointed if they don't. He battled an high ankle sprain and still showed flashes. Rbs who get over 1,200 yards while averaging 6 ypc and 10 yards per catch are special. My biggest fault with the coaching is the inability to get Spiller in space. If you can't figure out how to use a weapon like Spiller, that's bad coaching.

Well, I'd be very disappointed if they don't. He battled an high ankle sprain and still showed flashes. Rbs who get over 1,200 yards while averaging 6 ypc and 10 yards per catch are special. My biggest fault with the coaching is the inability to get Spiller in space. If you can't figure out how to use a weapon like Spiller, that's bad coaching.

I can't agree with you more.

I love watching CJ highlight packages from 2011-2012... he's generally given the ball with loads of room to make something happen. None of this, stuff the guy into a pile of bodies and see what happens, nonsense.

think about it:

i agree with this 1,000% and at the rate CJ has disappointed is, and both of them have gotten injured, there's not even close to a sure thing. Hell, Fred could get hurt walking out of the tunnel on opening day and CJ could grow a giant vagina like last year and were boned.

I'm not saying to go out and get CJ2K but as it's been said, where there's smoke, there's fire. I've been hoping we get the kid out of Boston myself in round 4 but this would put a whole new spin on things.

I love watching CJ highlight packages from 2011-2012... he's generally given the ball with loads of room to make something happen. None of this, stuff the guy into a pile of bodies and see what happens, nonsense.

Yup. Gailey had his faults, but he was one of the best coaches I have ever seen with screens. Biggest disappointment from the offense this year was the lack of screens. Spiller is an animal in space. They are very few backs as explosive.

I think that Spiller is a weapon too. He is a weapon like Reggie Bush is though not like AD. He is not an every down back. He is a guy that needs 12-15 touches a game in space and he may bust one. He needs to catch more balls out of the backfield and less runs between the tackles. I like Spiller a lot as a weapon but I wouldn't be shocked (at all) if he is dealt.

i agree with this 1,000% and at the rate CJ has disappointed is, and both of them have gotten injured, there's not even close to a sure thing. Hell, Fred could get hurt walking out of the tunnel on opening day and CJ could grow a giant vagina like last year and were boned.

I'm not saying to go out and get CJ2K but as it's been said, where there's smoke, there's fire. I've been hoping we get the kid out of Boston myself in round 4 but this would put a whole new spin on things.

To be fair.... a high ankle sprain can take a couple months to heal. And then there's the fact that he's a speed back, so he kind of depends on that area being healthy.

If there is something big brewing like trading up to get Clowney I am in favor of trading Spiller!

If it comes down to Spiller not fitting into Hackett's offense, then Hackett should be the one to go. Spiller showed something special in Gailey's offense. Hackett made me want to put my head in the oven at times.