Houston looking to trade 1st pick (Buffalo?)

I believe he was referring to trading up "in" round 1, not "into" round 1 from round 2

Right. We also did that for Eric Wood, one of the only times I can think of that a trade into round one actually made sense.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right. We also did that for Eric Wood, one of the only times I can think of that a trade into round one actually made sense.

With the new rookie deals, it makes sense for a team to trade into round 1 if they are at the top of round 2 if they want to have an opportunity to lock up a player (like a QB) for 5 years.

We need a QB. Period. Don't look at the world through rose colored glasses. I can't understand why we would trade down, use that latter pick to take a QB from a weak class of QB's knowing that there were far better QB's in the following draft. We haven't made the playoffs because the right players, or coaches haven't been put in place. All I am saying is use a little common sense. It will go a long way when drafting or trading picks or whatever. You wouldn't draft a running back if there wasn't a decent running back to draft would you? We do. I can't understand why. Now Kiko was an awesome pick. A definite game changer. An impact player for sure. If they can keep drafting players that impact this team like Kiko has, I will change my opinion of them, but I doubt it. I really don't intend to sound negative, but there is a reason we haven't made the playoffs in over a decade. Shake the tree. Go Bills and hopefully no one gets to terribly offended. I would like to think as Bills fans, everyone would want this monkey off our backs. It just comes down to smart decision making, great marketing, and good business sense. Something we have lacked for far to long.

Got it, we keep drafting bad RBs and need to take more guys that play like Kiko.

We actually traded Peters for that pick.

I say do it. I am with Whaley we are 1-2 players from making the playoffs if we stay healthy in relative terms. Why the hell not? I mean hell why not? These guys have no idea if they are going to be here or not in 1-2 years so screw future picks. I would do it, trade up, make an impact and get our names in the news even more.

You're kind of right. Eric wood was selected with the eagles pick we obtained for Jason Peters. I don't believe we technically traded up there.

We are and have been one player from making the playoffs for a few years. A quarterback. Not a DE. They aren't taking a QB early, so they absolutely have to hold on to the 2015 just in case.

I agree. I'm all in on EJ this year and I do believe in his ability to get better, I have everything crossed that he stays healthy and we see enough to think "yes this really could be the guy". He doesn't have to prove he absolutely IS the guy but he has to play well enough for us to think there is a very real reason to give him a 3rd year. But if he doesn't play any better then for me 2015 we should be willing to mortgage the house to get up for Mariota or Winston. I believe in those guys a ton more than I believe in the Quarterbacks in this draft class, and I know next year's crop always looks good this far out but if they keep playing well and EJ doesn't then do it.... then give up 3 picks, 4 picks whatever it takes next year to get up and take one.

Edited by GunnerBill

I am completely against a trade up, but I'm starting to think if it does happen, it will be for an offensive player (probably Watkins, but possibly one of the OTs), not Clowney. Whaley has repeatedly said he wants to provide EJ all the tools he needs to succeed. I don't see how trading half your draft for Clowney accomplishes that.

Please no trade up for Clowney. Can't they see the red flags?!!! His last name is appropriate. He's a clown!! There's a chance he'll be like J.Russell and take all his money and not care how he plays.

Please no trade up for Clowney. Can't they see the red flags?!!! His last name is appropriate. He's a clown!! There's a chance he'll be like J.Russell and take all his money and not care how he plays.

That's a clown opinion bro

We are and have been one player from making the playoffs for a few years. A quarterback. Not a DE. They aren't taking a QB early, so they absolutely have to hold on to the 2015 just in case.

Exactly. I don't think Doug Whaley is an idiot. It would be so stupid to bet everything on EJ. If we trade next year's number one, and EJ doesn't work out, we are screwed..........I don't get these rumors at all.

Very unlikely given that Russell signed a deal with $30M guaranteed, and Clowney is subject to a rookie wage scale. If he ever wants the BIG contact, he'll need to spend 3 years earning it.

What do you think it would take to acquire the #1 pick? I agree with what Whaley said, "would rather miss on a 6'4" 270lb 4.4 guy than someone with lesser ability"

The more I think about it, the more I would love a trade up for him DE is a much bigger need for this team than most are thinking... Maybe even Barr at 9