Evan Mathis (Eagles All-Pro Guard) on the trading block

dubs

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes a ton of sense from the Bills' standpoint, which obviously means it won't happen.

Thanks for adding your thoughtful insight to this forum.

Before you make a trade like this you have to ask yourself if you can do as good or better by just drafting a player with the pick you are trading.

The odd part is that Williams' contract is certainly not at a discount. They paid a premium price for a discount guard. I don't really understand why he was the one that they handed that money to when there were a bunch of guards considered to be superior that ultimately went for roughly the same amount? The Williams thing is puzzling to me.

yea - its still less compared to some of the premiere guys but they certainly seemed to give decent/average vet money to a guy that hasnt shown to be as good as that. not a huge deal, so im not losing sleep over it, but im strongly on record as agreeing with your take.

yea - its still less compared to some of the premiere guys but they certainly seemed to give decent/average vet money to a guy that hasnt shown to be as good as that. not a huge deal, so im not losing sleep over it, but im strongly on record as agreeing with your take.

It is not Levitre money but they could have paid less for someone like Travelle Wharton who is considered a better player (albeit older). The whole thing was kind of weird with all of the names that were out there. Hopefully, he pulls a Jerry Hughes and resurrects his career. Buffalo can be the place that 1st round "busts" go to become good NFL players.

I would rather roll with Williams and Urbik for 2014, draft a quality young G/OT like Gabe Jackson or Brandon Thomas in the 2nd or 3rd, and save the excess cap money to re-sign our current talent.

I totally hear what you are saying and as others pointed out it looks like the Bills way. Not drafting one at all and finding one on a practice squad or after cuts late in the summer, could be another route they take. The second allows them to see what they have first.

i get the feeling that the eagles office heard the offer and said, 'we think that what you have is more than reasonable. but if you can find someone who is willing to take your salary, increase it annnnnd give us a draft pick in the process then go with god my son.'

since they've been at it a few weeks, i'm getting the feeling that the list of people who are willing to do that is not very long.

Guys the bills are not going to do this....not in a draft where it is widely speculated that starting OL talent will be found as deep as the 3rd round

I agree, this likely won't happen. As far as I know, there's not any speculation that the Bills are interested in him or any trade talks between the two teams.

That being said, it's an interesting topic. I think in some cases, it's worth taking a risk by trading and paying a guy. This could be a good example. First, there is really no guarantee that drafting a Guard in the 3rd or 4th round will work out. In fact, no matter how deep the draft is, chances are better that the draft pick flames out than he becomes a solid NFL starter. It's just statistics.

Thanks for adding your thoughtful insight to this forum.

Before you make a trade like this you have to ask yourself if you can do as good or better by just drafting a player with the pick you are trading.

I'm sure you've seen this persons many posts lately so I'm sure you know he's not even really looking at the content of whats being talked about. He/she is just taking every opportunity to bash the Bills.