Evan Mathis (Eagles All-Pro Guard) on the trading block

dubs

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's 32 years old. I'd rather roll the dice on a Guard in round 2 or 3 of the draft. There are some good ones. Will come a lot cheaper too. Mathis wants more money than his current 5 million plus base salary.

Makes a ton of sense from the Bills' standpoint, which obviously means it won't happen.

What exactly makes sense? I can think of a few reasons why this would be a bad move. Age? Price tag? Giving up valuable draft picks?

Would take a shot at him...always need to be looking to improve that line. 3rd rounder and a 3 year deal to protect ej and get the running game going.

Why not spend that 3rd rounder on a 21 year old mauler who would be playing for a small rookie salary? This guy wants big money. Why do you think the Eagles are trying to move him?

Why not spend that 3rd rounder on a 21 year old mauler who would be playing for a small rookie salary? This guy wants big money. Why do you think the Eagles are trying to move him?

One is a proven all-pro in the NFL, the other is a question mark in the 3rd round and a rookie. Like I said, if we have the cap space and it isn't a top pick, there isn't much better place to invest than the OL when you have an inexperienced QB.

If you can get an All-Pro or even above average starter at guard in the 3rd, sure. Why wouldn't you do that. If it was that easy though, everyone would have great guards. Unfortunately, it's not really that easy.

32 isn't too bad for a G. I like some experience on the OL. If we have the cap space I'd take him for a 4th rounder.

He's slated to make more than $5M and he wants a new deal. What about that makes you say "yeah, let's make a trade?"

got to agree with you unless the Bills do both, Then they would have a pretty darn good line for 3 years. Glenn is not making crazy money. Only guy right now on the line with decent money is Woods.

I would jump at a 4rth rounder and a 3 year deal. Put money up front, so in year three when you need to re-sign Glenn you can.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

He's slated to make more than $5M and he wants a new deal. What about that makes you say "yeah, let's make a trade?"

i would guess part of it is the unknown of what that contract would be -- but at his current pay, yet alone a raise from the 5.5m hes getting the next 3 years coupled with williams contract would kind of make you wonder why we wouldnt just sign a premiere free agent guard, or kept levitre for less

This team is trending in the youthful, yet upward trajectory, and this year's Draft is deepest at a couple positions, including Offensive Line...trading anything more than a 7th round pick is ludicrous in my mind...if it took a 7th to gain a veteran presence and quality depth, fine...but otherwise, this would be a step in a direction that made no sense to me...

i would guess part of it is the unknown of what that contract would be -- but at his current pay, yet alone a raise from the 5.5m hes getting the next 3 years coupled with williams contract would kind of make you wonder why we wouldnt just sign a premiere free agent guard, or kept levitre for less

bingo

True. Maybe they didn't think Levitre was that good or worth the $8.6m cap hit per year. Levitre makes a base of $6.5, his signing bonus is prorated $2.1 per year.

Would giving up a 4th rounder and restructuring the Mathis contract to give him a $1m raise per year or a big signing bonus seem worth it? At this point in the offseason, why not try to use up the difference is what cap space you have left and what need to do to sign your draft picks so you can front load as much as possible and keep the cap flexibility in years to come?

True. Maybe they didn't think Levitre was that good or worth the $8.6m cap hit per year. Levitre makes a base of $6.5, his signing bonus is prorated $2.1 per year.

Would giving up a 4th rounder and restructuring the Mathis contract to give him a $1m raise per year or a big signing bonus seem worth it? At this point in the offseason, why not try to use up the difference is what cap space you have left and what need to do to sign your draft picks so you can front load as much as possible and keep the cap flexibility in years to come?

even without that, weve passed on a number of guards in that 6m range and instead added legursky and williams. i thought that given his time in New Orleans that marrone may come with a philosophy that hed want to pay for great guard play but its looking like they are looking at it as a spot that they can get by on a discount....

Edited by NoSaint

even without that, weve passed on a number of guards in that 6m range and instead added legursky and williams. i thought that given his time in New Orleans that marrone may come with a philosophy that hed want to pay for great guard play but its looking like they are looking at it as a spot that they can get by on a discount....

yeah...i think that's spot on with the Bills philosophy. Hope it works out, so far, not so much.

The odd part is that Williams' contract is certainly not at a discount. They paid a premium price for a discount guard. I don't really understand why he was the one that they handed that money to when there were a bunch of guards considered to be superior that ultimately went for roughly the same amount? The Williams thing is puzzling to me.