I'm mad as hell & I'm not gonna take it any more!

Virgil

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Face to face visits are much more effective. That's why teams don't like to let players leave until they have a signed contract. This is a valid problem in my opinion.

It's a valid problem but the OP is off base blaming our FO.

Can't we just Skype these guys?? Put Doug in front of a big poster of Jamaica, white sand beaches, cocktails, ladies in bikinis....the free agents would never know.

Haha. It was 70 in March when Mario signed. But I think Whaley is more referring to the inability to take the free agents to Pure Platinum.

Couldn't sign Poz because money was needed for Levitre, couldn't sign Levitre because money was needed for Byrd, couldn't sign Byrd because money is needed for Dareus, won't sign Dareus because money will be needed for Glenn, won't sign Glenn because money is needed for Kiko and that is how you miss the playoffs for 15 years.

:worthy: :worthy:

Im trying to figure out why so many are all of a sudden outraged and borderline suicidal about the Bills' past and future failures. The only thing of note that has happened in the last 24 hours is Byrd signing a monster contract that many experts would seriously question.

If that's not the cause of the outrage, I'm guessing people think we should have maybe overpaid for Talib? Or TJ Ward? Or Albert? Etc.

I'm just as frustrated as anyone, but right now they are playing their hand and I am glad the Bills aren't in the free agent headlines today.

Because we signed a loser guard.

Because we signed some other loser causin something.

Because we addressed the kicking position.

Because we didnt over pay anybody.

Because we let the #1 most wanted player in free agency walk. At least tag the m*****er.

Pick any of these reasons.

@Kirby Jackson, you're right on multiple fronts. It's so much fun reading comments from arm chair chicken littles about how the sky is falling because our team didn't sign this player or that player to some huge deal. A team will never be made and be successful by one player. We love to praise the Patriots for how well they're managed, but outside of Tom Brady, how many guys do they have that have claimed 3 rings will be going to the HOF? McGinnis, Bruschi, Vrabel, Seymour, Law, Samuel, Harrison, and I'm sure there's others I've forgotten; are all good players. They're not individually though even close to the best at their position. Tell me how many Superbowls the Jets have been to with arguably one of the best cornerbacks in our generation on the roster. Now tell me how many more games that Tampa Bay won than they otherwise would have without him last year. Byrd, Levitre, Poz are all in the same boat for me. Just not critical to team success and certainly not so from a $$ perspective. I would honestly rather have two safeties of Aaron Wiliams caliber than one of Byrd's, and that's about what it comes down to.

Lmao. I love how you bring up the Patriots and then have the balls to talk down to those of us who "complain". Great comparison.

The joke is on you my friend. Because when week 12 comes and we're 4-7 again itll be posters like you who start 100 threads on how much we suck while the rest of us go into this blackhole with our eyes wide open.

Byrd isnt worth $9M

Bingo

Whaley and Co. made a fair market offer to him and he declined. The saints overpayed period. Now that being said let me say if I'm Byrd I would not want to be here either. These players know their window is a small one. I can't blame them for wanting to get a championship with a contender. That is the pinnacle of their profession. Our track record says it all. This team is awful. It's not getting any better and the management team in place will not overspend for free agents. not to mention players don't want to play here because this team sucks. I am a die hard fan as alot of us here are but if I hear you don't overspend for free agents and you build through the draft one more time I will need a bucket. 14 yrs out of the playoffs. How's that philosophy working out for us?

Bingo

Whaley and Co. made a fair market offer to him and he declined. The saints overpayed period. Now that being said let me say if I'm Byrd I would not want to be here either. These players know their window is a small one. I can't blame them for wanting to get a championship with a contender. That is the pinnacle of their profession. Our track record says it all. This team is awful. It's not getting any better and the management team in place will not overspend for free agents. not to mention players don't want to play here because this team sucks. I am a die hard fan as alot of us here are but if I hear you don't overspend for free agents and you build through the draft one more time I will need a bucket. 14 yrs out of the playoffs. How's that philosophy working out for us?

Byrd is not worth $9/yr? Tell me, how much do you think a 3x probowler with the most INT's by a safety since 2009 who is still in the prime of his career at 27 worth then? $3m/yr?! Some of you are delusional.

so Byrd isn't worth 9 mill, levire wasnt worth 8 mill. Heres to moral victorys and being 20 million under the cap. Cheers to another 6 win season

Theres a trend. Dareus wont be worth it either - wait and watch the circus here.

Dareus will demand top $$$ at his position. He wont be worth it.

I think we all agree that signing Carpenter was a good idea and releasing Kolb was a good idea.

I don't think any of us are excited about the Caussan signing.

The Williams signing is an enigma, I guess we'll find out. Just how good he is next September. We have all these guards that the Bills are high on, Unga, Asper, Colling and we add another to the mix.

But we would like a marquee signing, that fills one of our holes. A MLB, TE, OT.

I agree on Kolb and Caussin, and I won't touch the Williams signing in this thread, but I don't agree with the rest. Carpenter was great last year, but look at kickers historically, and you'll see that their performance is crazy inconsistent from year to year. I don't know how much they're paying him, but given that he signed a 4 year deal, I'm guessing it's too much. In general, I don't think it's smart to sign a K to a long-term deal, especially when he's already not good at kickoffs. (And kickoff distance, unlike FG accuracy, usually is pretty consistent from year to year.)

As for the marquee signing, I don't think I need that. Sure, I wouldn't mind it if they signed Jared Allen or someone like that, but I don't mind the "wait for the dust to settle/get lower-tier free agents" strategy. I think it's generally pretty strong, but if you're going to go that route, I think you need to either sign a lot of guys, or hit on an uncommonly high percentage of your signings. Lower-tier free agents are lower-tier for a reason. You're not going to bat 1.000 on them. The Bills went 2 for 3 last year with Lawson, Branch, and Legursky. We keep some of our guys, but we lose talented guys pretty much every year (some more talented than others). If we're going to not just make up for those losses, but actually get better, then something needs to give. Instead of 1 good starter (Lawson), 1 good rotational player (Branch), and 1 unacceptably bad starter (Legursky), we need to add something like 3 good starters and 3 good rotational players. If that also means we have 4 bad and slightly overpaid FA busts riding the bench or cut, so be it.

Sometimes it seems like the plan is to hope we stay healthy, hope we get every break in every game, and then maybe we'll have a chance at sneaking into the playoffs. That's not a great plan.

Byrd is not worth $9/yr? Tell me, how much do you think a 3x probowler with the most INT's by a safety since 2009 who is still in the prime of his career at 27 worth then? $3m/yr?! Some of you are delusional.

Theres a trend. Dareus wont be worth it either - wait and watch the circus here.

Dareus will demand top $$$ at his position. He wont be worth it.

Either Dareus or (more likely) Spiller is probably gone in the next couple years. If they draft OT at #9, I think there's a good chance that 2 out of 3 of Dareus, Spiller, & Cordy Glenn are gone. I'll be shocked if all 3 are still on the team in 2017 no matter what.

so Byrd isn't worth 9 mill, levire wasnt worth 8 mill. Heres to moral victorys and being 20 million under the cap. Cheers to another 6 win season

exactly. if you payed twice face value to obtain a scarce a ticket to the superbowl in the fantasyland when the bills actually win it, would you have overpaid? nope, not if you really wanted it and it was worth that much to you. and not paying for it and missing your chance would likely seem pretty hollow. it's all about what you're trying to achieve and the bills aren't trying to achieve what we fans want them to.

exactly. if you payed twice face value to obtain a scarce a ticket to the superbowl in the fantasyland when the bills actually win it, would you have overpaid? nope, not if you really wanted it and it was worth that much to you. and not paying for it and missing your chance would likely seem pretty hollow. it's all about what you're trying to achieve and the bills aren't trying to achieve what we fans want them to.

Not to poke a hole in your example but there is no salary cap in your Super Bowl ticket purchase. If you couldn't pay your kid's tuition in order to buy the Super Bowl ticket did you overpay? It's not as simple as I like "X" so the budget is unlimited. The NFL absolutely does not work like that. You set a number for everything and need to stick to it. At what point is it okay to not resign Byrd? If they offered him $64M a year because they liked him that would be okay to you? Edited by Kirby Jackson

Not to poke a hole in your example but there is no salary cap in your Super Bowl ticket purchase. If you couldn't pay your kid's tuition in order to buy the Super Bowl ticket did you overpay? It's not as simple as I like "X" so the budget is unlimited. The NFL absolutely does not work like that. You set a number for everything and need to stick to it. At what point is it okay to not resign Byrd? If they offered him $64M a year because they liked him that would be okay to you?

not to poke a hole but aren't we significantly below the salary cap? i think wilson's kids are out of school...