I'm mad as hell & I'm not gonna take it any more!

Virgil

i don't think this is the samew ole bills. i think it's worse. this is now, more clearly than ever, asset protection only. the board of directors goal is to make the team as valuable and simultaneously sellable as possible. signing or resigning high priced free agents clearly isn't part of the calculus. neither is retaining good coaches. as a consequence, neither is winning.

I have to agree. Yesterday when we signed our kicker, ON THAT THREAD there was heavy excitement. Yeah I'm glad it happened. However, I didnt want to be the ass that replied with, "But he's just a kicker" (even though I kind of wanted to). But let's keep it real, did Denver or any of the normal playoff teams address the freaking kicking position yesterday????????????????

Then this morning I see we signed Chris Williams. Who the Eff is this? Very bad grade according to everywhere.

I think the bills fo said "let's just sign somebody, that way our stupid fan base can think we care"

I love you Pete!

Edited by Clippers of Nfl

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only plausible rationale (KtD theory) is that in seeking out a trade, Bills heard that they wouldn't get higher than a 4th round pick for Byrd, so they're rolling the dice that they will get a comp 3rd rounder. Of course, a 4th pick in a deep 2014 class is probably worth the same as a 3rd pick in 2015.

I agree with you on the last part. Though, based on Gabbert being sold for a 6th, I think they could have at least gotten a 3rd if not 2nd for Byrd had they tagged him and held him until the draft. I know that's hypothetical now -- and if it was just the first time this sort of blunder has happened I would be more willing to let it slide. It's just so darn consistent with this club.

It's now been a day and I'm really annoyed. One of the worst rated lineman is our first signing? Guy couldn't make it on the bears (terrible line) and then on the Rams (worse line). Yet he's going to maybe start at LG? The rams have all the money in the world and didn't want him back for that.

I'm sorry. You can't tell me that a Monroe, Ware, Verner, or Dansby wouldn't have made a huge difference on our team. I'm not saying that it's who I wanted. I just want to see a sign of this aggressive plan they have.

Outside of Mario Williams, we haven't made the splash in FA in over a decade. We keep saying we will build for the draft, but then they either don't pan out or we let them walk after 4/5 years. It's the definition of insanity.

Look at Denver. Look at what they built in the past 4 years. They were picking just as low as we were when the took Von Miller. Now look at them. I'm sorry, but it's ownership all the way down.

We are following a plan that requires having great minds working in the FO and great coaches. We haven't proven to have either of those but we expect the same result.

Go Bills

so why not the franchise tag? the way it worked out, the bills could have matched the N.O. deal for less than their advertised last offer. or was it really not 30mil or at least not 30mil guaranteed? i think it's likely the offer wasn't as good as advertised. otherwise, choosing not to do the franchise tag either makes no sense or was just stupid or both.

Bills issue a statement from GM Doug Whaley saying the Bills have been “challenged” in having free agents visit because of today’s blizzard.

Are you kidding me. You've had 3 days to have conversations with these people. Many sign without visits. I mean, you have the ability to check the weather channel right?

I got nothing

Edited by Beerball
Edited title, merging threads

I agree with you on the last part. Though, based on Gabbert being sold for a 6th, I think they could have at least gotten a 3rd if not 2nd for Byrd had they tagged him and held him until the draft. I know that's hypothetical now -- and if it was just the first time this sort of blunder has happened I would be more willing to let it slide. It's just so darn consistent with this club.

You can't discount Byrd's contract value from the trade equation. Although his draft pick trade value may hypothetically have increased closer to the draft, his overall tradeability would decrease because most teams would have already spent its FA budget and nobody would want to trade for him knowing his contract demands.

Bills issue a statement from GM Doug Whaley saying the Bills have been “challenged” in having free agents visit because of today’s blizzard.

Are you kidding me. You've had 3 days to have conversations with these people. Many sign without visits. I mean, you have the ability to check the weather channel right?

I got nothing

There are weather issues in a lot of cities right now, not just Buffalo. I don't know how many sign without visits, but they couldn't visit prior to yesterday evening so not sure why this is Doug's fault.

How many teams have not even been to the playoffs in the last 15 years?

This team is, and has been disfunctional. its the same old story year after year. End of story

What specifically do you object to? Trading back and drafting Kiko? Extending Aaron Williams? Taking Cordy Glenn in round 2? Pursuing Mario Williams? If EVERYTHING is bad as you are saying these must be mistakes.

Im trying to figure out why so many are all of a sudden outraged and borderline suicidal about the Bills' past and future failures. The only thing of note that has happened in the last 24 hours is Byrd signing a monster contract that many experts would seriously question.

If that's not the cause of the outrage, I'm guessing people think we should have maybe overpaid for Talib? Or TJ Ward? Or Albert? Etc.

I'm just as frustrated as anyone, but right now they are playing their hand and I am glad the Bills aren't in the free agent headlines today.

You can't discount Byrd's contract value from the trade equation. Although his draft pick trade value may hypothetically have increased closer to the draft, his overall tradeability would decrease because most teams would have already spent its FA budget and nobody would want to trade for him knowing his contract demands.

True. Unless you're Whaley and Marrone and having back channel discussions with Parker and the Saints throughout. Would it have been easy? Not at all. Would they absolutely have accomplished it? I can't make that claim. But I do know that having Byrd on the roster for even 8 games (or 6, whatever the minimum he could play if he held out) and getting another opportunity to get a RoI is better than doing nothing and hoping to get lucky.

The fact that this team, which has had miserable luck for over a decade was willing to "roll the dice" on anything shows me how out of touch they are with the modern NFL.

Im trying to figure out why so many are all of a sudden outraged and borderline suicidal about the Bills' past and future failures. The only thing of note that has happened in the last 24 hours is Byrd signing a monster contract that many experts would seriously question.

If that's not the cause of the outrage, I'm guessing people think we should have maybe overpaid for Talib? Or TJ Ward? Or Albert? Etc.

I'm just as frustrated as anyone, but right now they are playing their hand and I am glad the Bills aren't in the free agent headlines today.

The NFL is a business right? At the end of the day there is no loyalty, it's about the bottom line for owners and players. For coaches (and some players) it's about titles.

Let's imagine you ran a business selling widgets. And you had one widget that was hand made, by far the most valued widget in your store, would you be upset if a customer walked into your store, took that widget without paying you a dime, and walked out? How do you imagine you would feel if that happened and then everyone around you started telling you, "it's okay, you couldn't have sold that widget anyway. It's better to let it go elsewhere so that you don't run the risk of hurting it's feelings."

Now imagine that this same scenario keeps playing out each year. It was your Byrd widget this year. The year before it was Levitre (a widget we actually traded up to get -- so we lost 2 draft picks without compensation there), the year before that was Poz. And while all this is going on, every other widget store in your neighborhood is improving and making the playoffs while you're left waiting for "one more year of rebuilding"...

Perfect post. I'm kind of over every guy, signing anywhere as an indictment of the last 15 years of Bills football. "The Redskins signed Andre Roberts? No wonder the Bills havent been to the playoffs since the '99 season." They haven't been good but in recent years have for the most part drafted well and been fiscally responsible. Pick your battles. If they get QB under control they can be a winner.

I think we all agree that signing Carpenter was a good idea and releasing Kolb was a good idea.

I don't think any of us are excited about the Caussan signing.

The Williams signing is an enigma, I guess we'll find out. Just how good he is next September. We have all these guards that the Bills are high on, Unga, Asper, Colling and we add another to the mix.

But we would like a marquee signing, that fills one of our holes. A MLB, TE, OT.

Edited by oman128