Bills to pull out of Toronto deal per Mark Gaughan

All I'm saying is if you're a fan, act like one. If you hate the Toronto game, don't stay home in December.

I don't like going to games for reasons I won't get into again. So for my purely selfish reasons I like the Toronto games as it guarantees at least one home December game will be televised for me locally.

From a Bills business perspective the game makes sense. They get a guaranteed December sellout plus get to keep season ticket prices lower which in theory anyway, means more sales.

The only negatives are fans who like to go to games at the Ralph, can't, and it gives up home field advantage which would mean a lot if the Bills were in the hunt for a playoff spot in December.

So i agree with you my robotic friend, anyone who has complained about the Toronto series should reward the Bills for this decision. Remember too that this is only a postponement, it could easily return the following season.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like going to games for reasons I won't get into again. So for my purely selfish reasons I like the Toronto games as it guarantees at least one home December game will be televised for me locally.

From a Bills business perspective the game makes sense. They get a guaranteed December sellout plus get to keep season ticket prices lower which in theory anyway, means more sales.

The only negatives are fans who like to go to games at the Ralph, can't, and it gives up home field advantage which would mean a lot if the Bills were in the hunt for a playoff spot in December.

So i agree with you my robotic friend, anyone who has complained about the Toronto series should reward the Bills for this decision. Remember too that this is only a postponement, it could easily return the following season.

in the short term, I understand your point. But in the long term... More home games equals more wins. More wins equals better team. Better team equals better ratings. Better ratings equals more Bills games televised.

Just saying.

Edited by mrags

Make it worth my while to go in December.

Here's the thing, if enough fans don't go in December, they face the very real possibility of losing the team. Remember that even when the team was incredibly good, they failed to sell out on a somewhat regular basis in December/January (remember the infamous comeback game was NOT on TV).

If that isn't important enough, then I'm not sure what would be...

Kind of makes me continue to assume this FO doesn't actually care much about winning.

Here's the thing, if enough fans don't go in December, they face the very real possibility of losing the team. Remember that even when the team was incredibly good, they failed to sell out on a somewhat regular basis in December/January (remember the infamous comeback game was NOT on TV).

The NFL is more popular than ever, and winter temperatures are rising on average. I can't guarantee late season sellouts if the team is better, but I think it's safe to assume there will be more tickets sold.

I'm sure they have a financial analyst that tells the FO if putting together a winning team is worth it or not from a profit perspective. The answer in the recent past has been a big fat "no".

fwiw, there were playoff games this past season that were either not sold out or were in danger of not selling out.

That comeback game in 1993 was a week after they took a bad loss to the same team. Had an injured starting QB, and were without Thurman Thomas. And many thought the team was not as impressive as it was the precious 2 seasons. Not really an excuse IMO. But you can understand the frustration of some at the time.

The NFL is more popular than ever, and winter temperatures are rising on average. I can't guarantee late season sellouts if the team is better, but I think it's safe to assume there will be more tickets sold.

I'm sure they have a financial analyst that tells the FO if putting together a winning team is worth it or not from a profit perspective. The answer in the recent past has been a big fat "no".

I understand what you're saying--I just happen to think that the above conflates two separate issues: more tickets sold if the team is better vs. buying tickets to support the team's status in WNY.

And I happen to disagree wholly with your second statement--they want to win badly; they just happen to believe (correctly IMO) that spending like crazy in an effort to do so isn't the best way to approach it from either a football or a business perspective.

fwiw, there were playoff games this past season that were either not sold out or were in danger of not selling out.

That comeback game in 1993 was a week after they took a bad loss to the same team. Had an injured starting QB, and were without Thurman Thomas. And many thought the team was not as impressive as it was the precious 2 seasons. Not really an excuse IMO. But you can understand the frustration of some at the time.

Everything you are saying here is true. I also don't think it changes things one lick: if your team is at risk for relocation, and your fans care enough about that, one proactive thing they can do is go by tickets.

in the short term, I understand your point. But in the long term... More home games equals more wins. More wins equals better team. Better team equals better ratings. Better ratings equals more Bills games televised.

Just saying.

Ratings don't enter into is as the NFL negotiates as a whole for the TV contract. If the game sells out it will be on TV at least locally.

My guess is the good people of Toronto could careless about the Bills not playing there this year. Look, here is the thing, mainly due to hockey the people of Buffalo can't stand Toronto & the city of Toronto basically thinks the people of Buffalo are a bunch of inbred hicks. We are not sister cities like say us & Rochester. I have little doubt the people of Toronto could support an NFL team. I really don't think that that is up for debate. They just don't want to support our crappy NFL team. Who could blame them. If I wasn't from Buffalo I wouldn't route for the Bills either.

People from Buffalo can’t stand Toronto or they can’t stand the Leafs? That’s two different things. I know some folks from Toronto. I haven’t heard anyone bad mouth Buffalo. Not that there aren’t those that might. I don’t think there is any real friction between the cities. Seems more like a good storyline for journalists to make up and create some type of rivalry. Most folks from either city probably couldn’t care less about the other in any meaningful way. And when I go to the Ralph I always meet a lot of folks from Ontario.

I guess we're just going to go in circles on the topic. I just think it's hard to expect fans to sell out every game when missing 14 years worth of playoffs. I'd understand the frustration with fans more if we make the playoffs a bunch, and don't support the team, but to me this is different. Especially considering WNY isn't exactly an economic juggernaut... you really need to make a reason for people to part with money they might need for other things in life.

I agree that fans need to be supportive to keep the team in the area, I just don't know if it's fair to expect them to be 100% sellout supportive when the team misses the playoffs for 14 straight years, and hasn't even finished .500 in recent history.

Edited by Dorkington

Ratings don't enter into is as the NFL negotiates as a whole for the TV contract. If the game sells out it will be on TV at least locally.

oh, so then you live here in town and still don't go to games??? That's fine if you do to enjoy the atmosphere, but don't complain you can't watch a game then of it's not sold out. If there are tickets available, then you have no excuse to not watch games if they are not on TV.

Kudos to Bills on this one. I'd rather lose the team playing 8 home games. 1 Toronto game accomplishes nothing other than giving up a home game, lining Ralph's pockets, and letting him pretend he's some kind of benevolent business-man. This BS could all have went away if Ralph made assurances Bills would stay in Buffalo when he's gone, but that might mean he's leaving $100m on the table. Heaven forbid.

People at TBD arent the problem. We arent the fans that have been alienated long ago and/or bandwagoners. Generally, most of us buy tickets (and those who arent STH would probably buy more if/when December games mean something).

Maybe, maybe not. I do worry when I read posts from people bragging about only watching from home. I'm sure every fanbase has their share of fans with an "entitlement mentality", but the Bills can't afford many of those. Edited by BillnutinHouston

Yeah, I'm the biggest hater on TBD, or am I the biggest kool aid drinker, or do I work for the Bills? I can't keep track.

It's easy--all 3...

I understand what you're saying--I just happen to think that the above conflates two separate issues: more tickets sold if the team is better vs. buying tickets to support the team's status in WNY.

And I happen to disagree wholly with your second statement--they want to win badly; they just happen to believe (correctly IMO) that spending like crazy in an effort to do so isn't the best way to approach it from either a football or a business perspective.

Everything you are saying here is true. I also don't think it changes things one lick: if your team is at risk for relocation, and your fans care enough about that, one proactive thing they can do is go by tickets.

You keep repeating this, but there is no validity to it. Buying up thousands of tickets in December is not going to convince a new owner to stay if he has a better deal (stadium, higher ticket price points) in another location. No one has (because they can't) made the argument that the Bills may be moved because they don't sell out at the last 2 or 3 home games. It makes little sense.

I guess we're just going to go in circles on the topic. I just think it's hard to expect fans to sell out every game when missing 14 years worth of playoffs. I'd understand the frustration with fans more if we make the playoffs a bunch, and don't support the team, but to me this is different. Especially considering WNY isn't exactly an economic juggernaut... you really need to make a reason for people to part with money they might need for other things in life.

I agree that fans need to be supportive to keep the team in the area, I just don't know if it's fair to expect them to be 100% sellout supportive when the team misses the playoffs for 14 straight years, and hasn't even finished .500 in recent history.

Any fan who complained about the Toronto series needs to buy a ticket to every home game. Or they are a horrible, selfish hypocrite.

Any fan who complained about the Toronto series needs to buy a ticket to every home game. Or they are a horrible, selfish hypocrite.

:thumbsup: Or at least a ticket to a December game.

Edited by PromoTheRobot