Bills to pull out of Toronto deal per Mark Gaughan

I've often wondered that myself. Hell, convert some more seats to luxury boxes, stores, or something. Bring it down to that 65k number, and watch the Bills have no blackouts.

They can't sell out boxes either.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean looks worse aesthetically or to the bottom line?

GO BILLS!!!

...yes

The topic is, if the Bills don't sell out *every* game, they will be relocated. So, is it more likely the Bills will move if they don't sell out a bunch of seats, or if they don't sell out a box or two?

What about if they remove seats and put up stores, vendors, fan activities, etc? Would selling the same number of tickets, but being a "sellout" keep them in Buffalo?

Because the insinuation was that the Bills will be moved if they don't sell out every game... so if they can't sell out boxes, they can't sell out seats... what else can they fill space with? Merchandising? More food choices? More fan entertainment zones? Will any of those bring in revenue?

I'm assuming the answer is "no" and we should all just get used to the idea of the Bills moving sometime in the next decade.

Because the insinuation was that the Bills will be moved if they don't sell out every game... so if they can't sell out boxes, they can't sell out seats... what else can they fill space with? Merchandising? More food choices? More fan entertainment zones? Will any of those bring in revenue?

I'm assuming the answer is "no" and we should all just get used to the idea of the Bills moving sometime in the next decade.

There you go. It's an issue where the only solution is to have ownership that feels some loyalty to the region in spite of the poorer financial return.

...yes

The topic is, if the Bills don't sell out *every* game, they will be relocated. So, is it more likely the Bills will move if they don't sell out a bunch of seats, or if they don't sell out a box or two?

What about if they remove seats and put up stores, vendors, fan activities, etc? Would selling the same number of tickets, but being a "sellout" keep them in Buffalo?

The other option is Ralph/future owner can sell the naming rights to the stadium. Looking at even the cheapest deals it seems like most are between 1.5 - 3 mil per season. That would recoup the losses from those empty boxes/seats.

do nothing to RWS (rich). Build a better stadium!

The Bills could build a stadium like the new Cowboys stadium http://stadium.dallascowboys.com/ and it would be half empty every game. 80,000 seats

Winning cures everything! The Bills had no problems filling "Rich" stadiums 80,290 seats when they were winning games.

Its all that losing they do... is the reason why they don't sell out some of the cheapest NFL seats for a stadium that holds 73,079 seats now.

The Redskins play at Fedex field that holds 91,704, and you would need to have a whole bunch of people die in order to get good season seats, as they have a long waiting list to purchase season tickets. Same with the NY Giants.

The Bills could build a stadium like the new Cowboys stadium http://stadium.dalla...wboys.com/ and it would be half empty every game. 80,000 seats

Winning cures everything! The Bills had no problems filling "Rich" stadiums 80,290 seats when they were winning games.

Its all that losing they do... is the reason why they don't sell out some of the cheapest NFL seats for a stadium that holds 73,079 seats now.

The Redskins play at Fedex field that holds 91,704, and you would need to have a whole bunch of people die in order to get good season seats, as they have a long waiting list to purchase season tickets. Same with the NY Giants.

Well, not exactly.

Remember that December games failed to sell out with some regularity back in the 90's...even the Houston comeback game, a January playoff game, was not a sell-out.

Now, winning does indeed fix most of the problem.

Well, not exactly.

Remember that December games failed to sell out with some regularity back in the 90's...even the Houston comeback game, a January playoff game, was not a sell-out.

Now, winning does indeed fix most of the problem.

im not arguing with you just to argue with you Bandit. But people always bring up the Comeback game as a point of reference. It's not the best reference. Just a week before that game, the Bills lost in horrible fashion to the same team. They also were without Thurman Thomas AND Jim Kelly as he was injured the game before. This all coming off 2 Super Bowl losses and arguably a much weaker team than we had 2 seasons prior.

It's not apples to apples is all I'm saying.

The Bills could build a stadium like the new Cowboys stadium http://stadium.dalla...wboys.com/ and it would be half empty every game. 80,000 seats

That's a myth. Not sure about Giants, but Skins, any one of us can buy today.

im not arguing with you just to argue with you Bandit. But people always bring up the Comeback game as a point of reference. It's not the best reference. Just a week before that game, the Bills lost in horrible fashion to the same team. They also were without Thurman Thomas AND Jim Kelly as he was injured the game before. This all coming off 2 Super Bowl losses and arguably a much weaker team than we had 2 seasons prior.

It's not apples to apples is all I'm saying.

No it's not, I agree...I just meant that they didn't always sell out back in the day. I can't find the records online; I'm just going by memory.

No it's not, I agree...I just meant that they didn't always sell out back in the day. I can't find the records online; I'm just going by memory.

i won't argue that. I guess I was just annoyed like I usually get when people bring that game up like we were the best team in the league at the time. We weren't and we suffered from major injuries.

But your right. Although it wasn't as prevalent as it is today, we did have a fare share of blackouts back then. Not nearly as in today's NFL though. The crap that's going on in Jacksonville is a huge black eye to the league. Something that Buffalo isn't even close to attempting.

I have mentioned it a lot, and it usually sees minimal to no response from the "Comeback game shouters"... but the way tickets are sold nowadays (instant and electronic) along with the ease of the resale market would nearly ensure 100% sellouts if/when the Bills ever get good... Just looking at the secondary market for tickets in (2009?) and (2011?) when they had good starts (for friends who "suddenly" wanted to go), the cheapest tickets were very expensive (like 200-400% more than face). Along with variable pricing, they would have to cap STH just like the Sabres IMO. The perceived demand continues to drive demand (and price increases), even through some bad seasons. Look at the Sabres. Couldnt sell out the Aud in 1992-1993 with the most exciting team in franchise history. Now look. Even with 2 playoff appearances in like 7 years.

They also claim they have added 15% from Rochester and 15% from Southern Ontario since then.

And the stadium is smaller.

Everything you say is true, but given those facts, I think most Bills fans are guilty of overrating themselves. Let's face it - we're extremely hungry for wins now, but back then we were spoiled.

To me it's laughable that people didn't show up for a playoff game when their team was coming off two straight Super Bowls, regardless of what happened the week before or who was hurt. Those are weak excuses.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

do nothing to RWS (rich). Build a better stadium!

So I grew up in Buffalo going to Rich stadium I moved out then I went to 50% of the NFL stadiums.

Two years ago I realized I hadn't been to Rich, now the Ralph in over a decade.

Looking at the Ralph as someone that doesn't live in Buffalo any more and has been around the league. Yeah it is chronologically old, but it is a great stadium.

I mean the Superdome doesn't have cup holders or a decent screen!! and that was after the remodel.

The Ralph is a really great stadium. the Concession area and bathrooms stink, sometimes literally, but thats an easy upgrade.

Its better than most stadiums. In terms of buildings 40 years isn't that old. In terms of NFL stadium that NFL owners extort of communities it is old but the Ralph building is more a great building and great place to see a game.

Unless they build a smaller stadium closer to a population center in Erie County, I don't know what a new stadium gets the Bills franchise.

Edited by Why So Serious?