Big receiver times

Lee is the more polished wr at this point but how is he any different than SJ or Woods? A wr under 6' isn't going to help with the red zone problems.

Lee is reportedly "field fast", has fare superior production, can really jump (vert and broad jump) and is much more agile and quick. Don't get me wrong, all other things being equal, take the bigger guy - but i'm not sure all other things are equal here.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#

I was on the Mike Evans train until the end of the season and then I kind of let myself be talked out of him by some "experts". I'm back on board folks. I'm certain he will still be there at 9 and he is the guy we need. With the 9th pick of the 2014 NFL Draft I am taking Mike Evans, Wide Receiver, Texas A&M.

Don't be so sure. There are teams that could jump ahead of the Bills for the Vikings pick who would be more than happy to trade back a couple of spots when there are no QBs left worth drafting in the top ten.

Teams that I could see trading with the Vikings to grab Evans ahead of the Bills are the Lions, Rams, Ravens and Jets.

Now having said that, I have no problem with the Bills drafting either Ebron or Benjamin as the consolation prize. Also, I would have no problem with the Bills trading ahead of a team to draft Watkins if he started to fall. I'm thinking possibly with the Falcons for the Bills third round pick.

Watkins is likely to be a top 5 pick, and after their workouts, there's almost no chance either Evans or Benjamin fall out of the top 20, let alone out of the first round.

Doubt it. 3 of the first 5 picks are QB's and then there's Clowney. There's too many other good players after that I doubt anyone is thinking WR that early. He's not a physical freak like some of the receivers we have seen in the past (magatron, Julio jones, etc). He's just a good receiver which average size and speed. Doesn't scream top 5 pick to me. Too many other good receivers in this draft

Doubt it. 3 of the first 5 picks are QB's and then there's Clowney. There's too many other good players after that I doubt anyone is thinking WR that early. He's not a physical freak like some of the receivers we have seen in the past (magatron, Julio jones, etc). He's just a good receiver which average size and speed. Doesn't scream top 5 pick to me. Too many other good receivers in this draft

I wouldn't be so sure about the QBs all going so high. There are needy teams, but I'm not sure teams are necessarily sold on the guys available.

I hope you're right, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of them fall...

Maybe in a normal year...But goodness...Look at the QB depth charts of Houston, J-ville, Cleveland, Oakland, Tampa Bay, and Minnesota...Even if one of them slides out of the top 7 I can't imagine Minnesota passing...Manziel is going to go high because he's bringing some serious excitement with him...Bridgewater is solid and has upside...Bortles is 6-5 and a gamer...All of them come with big-time questions, but in this league...if you're going to gamble the QB position is the place to do so...I don't think that changes this year...My guess is Bortles to Houston, Bridgewater to J-Ville, and Johnny Football to Cleveland... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

It was Manzeil making him look bad.

I actually do think it was partly that. Mike Evans was open early on plenty of plays I saw, but Johnny Manziel isn't great at making reads from the pocket. Some people think Manziel has "made" Evans' career. I think the opposite. I think without Mike Evans' ability to go up among defenders and make the tough catches on balls that should really never have been thrown there is no way Johnny Manziel would be getting talked about as a top 5 prospect. The number of 50/50 jump balls I've seen him come down with is remarkable.

I actually do think it was partly that. Mike Evans was open early on plenty of plays I saw, but Johnny Manziel isn't great at making reads from the pocket. Some people think Manziel has "made" Evans' career. I think the opposite. I think without Mike Evans' ability to go up among defenders and make the tough catches on balls that should really never have been thrown there is no way Johnny Manziel would be getting talked about as a top 5 prospect. The number of 50/50 jump balls I've seen him come down with is remarkable.

You're right on the money. I live down south so have seen enough of Manziel to know Evans made him look good. Evans has nice separation and can catch anything near him with a wide radius. I'd love him in rd 1 and Ebron or one of the others at TE in the second round. There will be lineman and ILB in the later rounds. This is also a deep CB draft.

You're right on the money. I live down south so have seen enough of Manziel to know Evans made him look good. Evans has nice separation and can catch anything near him with a wide radius. I'd love him in rd 1 and Ebron or one of the others at TE in the second round. There will be lineman and ILB in the later rounds. This is also a deep CB draft.

I'm in your camp. Manziel could throw it in the general vicinity of Mike Evans and trust him to come down with the ball.

EJ Manuel showed BAD ball placement a lot of last season. Guess what would help him look better? A WR who catches things up, down, left, right, diagonal, etc. in the area around him.

He might be a little raw but the positive is that he played basketball before football. You know what skills he's going to have to use most if he can't get separation via speed in the NFL? USING HIS BODY to box out and shield defenders away from the ball....basketball skills. Should come naturally to him.

Also his 10 yard split on his 40 was comparable to most of the other WRs. That's what matters. So what if he doesn't have "long speed" because guess what? Goodwin and Graham(ugh..) do. He just needs to be dominant in the short and intermediate games.

Edited by JM57

The big question on Evans was his separation speed and he showed he has enough. Watkins is even less likely to slip to the Bills now, but I don't think they can go wrong with Evans.

The big question about Evans was never his straight line speed, it was his speed in and out of breaks and his route running. He failed to get separation quite a bit in college and got away with a lot of pushing and aggressive play to create space to catch the ball. Running a good 40 doesn't answer those questions. The guy could end up being quite good if he works hard but there are a lot of questions about him and I'm not sure I'd roll the dice on him at 9.

Let me address Evan's most prevalent concern - that he cannot get separation - somewhat jokingly.

WHO CARES

Throw it up to him and let the DB get a pass interference penalty.

I also don't believe that separation will be a problem for him. Yes this is a highlight video, but its just one game worth of plays and Evans gets plenty of separation early - not because of Manziel scrambling. Plus, I think its a benefit that Evans works to get open once the play breaks down, and does it so well, instead of just giving up like a lot of players do.

Edited by peterpan

The big question about Evans was never his straight line speed, it was his speed in and out of breaks and his route running. He failed to get separation quite a bit in college and got away with a lot of pushing and aggressive play to create space to catch the ball. Running a good 40 doesn't answer those questions. The guy could end up being quite good if he works hard but there are a lot of questions about him and I'm not sure I'd roll the dice on him at 9.

If he can't do that it's all over in the NFL. James Hardy 2.0.

I haven't watched enough of his games to know how he gets in and out of his cuts or if he runs crisp routes or not. And I can't tell much by watching him play catch in shorts. Has anyone here really watched the kid on a regular basis to know what kind of route runner he is?

GO BILLS!!!

Draft an OT! There are three who could be available at 9. If any of the three are there, we have to address our most glaring problem. Pick up another WR in later rounds. This isn't fantasy football!

No, just no. This team's lacked a REAL WR now for going on 8 years. Take one of these guys while they're here and get our QB a real weapon.

In Mike Myers voice , doing George Bush... Not Gonna Do It . Wouldn't be prudent .. at this Time .

You're thinking of Dana Carvey.

Jordan Matthews ran a 4.5 40. He owned the SEC. Reminds me of Alshon Jeffrey. Wouldn't mind snatching Donte Moncrief in later rounds as an option, he ran a 4.4.

I like Matthews but I feel he is more of a possession wr, a slightly more athletic David Nelson.

I'm in your camp. Manziel could throw it in the general vicinity of Mike Evans and trust him to come down with the ball.

EJ Manuel showed BAD ball placement a lot of last season. Guess what would help him look better? A WR who catches things up, down, left, right, diagonal, etc. in the area around him.

He might be a little raw but the positive is that he played basketball before football. You know what skills he's going to have to use most if he can't get separation via speed in the NFL? USING HIS BODY to box out and shield defenders away from the ball....basketball skills. Should come naturally to him.

Also his 10 yard split on his 40 was comparable to most of the other WRs. That's what matters. So what if he doesn't have "long speed" because guess what? Goodwin and Graham(ugh..) do. He just needs to be dominant in the short and intermediate games.

I agree with this. EJ's ball placement needs to be better (injuries to himself and wrs hurt this timing) but there were a few deep balls, especially to Goodwin, that are complete if Goodwin wasn't so small. A 6'5" receiver would have caught them easily.

Have the Bills ever had a legit receiver over 6'2"?