Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

Hey look at that--another marquee Bills player leaves town.

Now, I just need a Chris Brown report from mini camp saying Duke Williams looks "quick, explosive, and hungry," interspersed with a quote or two from maybe Gilmore (?) saying that Duke's "a ballhawk", and I'll be texting my friends something along the lines of: "you know, it might not be that bad that Byrd left..."

Throw into that something along the lines of a laser of a pass from EJ against the Giants third stringers in the second quarter of the hall of fame game (when Marrone keeps him in for an extra quarter,) that results in Woods running in untouched to cut the lead to 17-7;

Mix in an ESPN.com fantasy report saying "Spiller could be one to watch this season as he looks to be fully recovered from a high ankle sprain that limited his explosiveness in 2013"

And add a final touch of the Bills leading for most of game 1, opening week in Miami, only to give up a last second touchdown pass from Tannehil to lose 24-21,

And I estimate that right around October I'll be on here saying:

"if we win or next 7, that week 17 home game against the Jets will be to put us at 9-7 and steal a wild card spot", and Byrd will be a forgotten memory, just like

Whitner

Lynch

Greer

Poz

Levitre

et. al

hahaha your post had me peeing my pants.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My prediction is the Bills sign a UFA FS and claim at that time it was really the plan all along..."We wanted Jairus to stay, but when we realized the price tag would be too high we knew we could use that money on...blah, blah..."

I'm not against moving on from Byrd but I think tagging him was the next logical step regardless...

This is not going to go over well...And I think that is going to end up being an understatement... B-)

Doug Whaley: "We decided to not franchise Jairus Byrd. We thank him for his contributions to the team and wish him well. We made a very fair and lucrative offer to Jairus, the most ever in the history of the NFL to a safety, and he and his representatives turned it down. We want players who want to be here, and we are doing everything we can to make this team better, and good for the long run."

He didn't really say that, he's just going to. And it may well be true that they offered the most ever to a safety, but it was also not a good offer, or nearly what he will get in FA. It could easily be 30m over the first three years (what they are saying as the most ever) but not enough guaranteed and only 40m over 5 years, which won't get it done.

And that is no excuse not to tag him, even if they planned right now to lift the tag should nothing happen down the line.

Again--still trying to figure this out from your perspective. If they tag him and pay him the $8m, get 16 games out of him, he plays hard, that's good value. he walks next year. they already tagged him once, so it seems they thought he was tag-worthy and were willing to move forward. you can't dismiss the fact that he missed an awful lot of time.

do you tag him at $8m if you know 2014 goes the same way? i'm not talking about he goes out, plays and gets injured, i mean the murky underworld where he has questionalbe injuries and has trouble getting on the field.

if they opted to lowball him--or, from their perspective, pay him max value for what they think he's worth, well, we wased a lot of time and energy as fans on something that was never going to happen.

that would suck.

NFL Insiders on Byrd: He is no Earl Thomas (Seattle's hard hitting safety). The point was he is a very good Safety but not the best and he has to go to the right team to exploit his skill set. It has be come clear that Byrd would never resign with the Bills. Tag him would get you 1 year with a disgruntled athlete. Let him walk and get a compensatory pick in next years draft. Spend the money saved on impact positions like CB, WR or OLB.

I don't know how you could be in the front office of this team and be a fan seeing how things like this happen.

ESPN - Bills announce they have chosen not to use franchise player tag on 3-time Pro Bowl safety Jairus Byrd

Byrd's a scumbag and so is his agent. I hope he blows his acl and mcl the first PRESEASON snap of the year, douche bag.

I'm sure that if you were Byrd, you would prefer and opt to sign a contract for less money and little chance of making the Super Bowl so you can stay in Buffalo out of the kindness of your heart.

Byrd's a scumbag and so is his agent. I hope he blows his acl and mcl the first PRESEASON snap of the year, douche bag.

I will not hope or wish for that to happen, but I sure won't feel bad if it does.

We showed him! Not franchising him and not getting compensation shows him who's boss. Smart move! Why be like the Jets who get a #1 and I think a #3 for Revis, who is most overarated CB in league history. Once again we get nothing for a decent youg players besides being under the cap by 25 million or so. God forbid we franchize him and trade him for a 2nd or thirds or even 4th.....Now we get nothing! What an organization....

Yes, he's one of the best in the league. Unfortunately, we have no precedent to support the idea that he'd fetch a 1st round pick. Ask yourself what team has ever been a free safety away from a championship. They are cogs in the wheel, but seldom are they the main cog.

GO BILLS!!!

I wish I knew more Xs and Os at at time like this. Joe B this morning on GR said he'd put safety only behind D End and middle linebacker as most important in today's NFL on D.

John Murphy continually beats the drum that safeties don't win games, etc.

I think this is dumb. Bills are bringing a knife to a gun fight

In any event, we will find out soon enough whether Eugene Parker snookered Doug Whaley and the Bills.

But isn't Eugene Parker supposed to be a fair and upstanding agent? LOL....he's a piece of %^#@#

BBB, depends the defensive scheme and what you ask the Safeties to do. Byrd is talented but he is not a star. I do not wish any ill towards him but the disappointment is that he wanted out when the Bills are trying to make strides to improve.

Byrd is now considered to be the top free agent on the market, apparently he is not good enough for the bills though. I don't know why they didn't use the franchise tag on him, it would have made sure that the bills secured the top free agent available. If they didn't want to use the Franchise tag they should have at least used the transition tag. They could have then let him hit the market then match any offer. With that over with we will see many bills fans make fun of Byrd. Others will say the franchise is doomed. Others will say that the franchise is in fine shape. The reality is that the bills really are doomed. 14 years of no playoffs is the definition of doomed.

Looks like we are sure in for our 15th straight year of missing he playoffs and probably 7th straight year of finishing last in AFC East. Can't wait for all the spin on this. At the end of the day good teams keep their best players and teams like the Bills continue to do everything possible to save money and keep the team below average. Great day to be a Bills fan, im sure everyone will love it this week if the Toronto series goes on as expected. The team sure knows how to hammer the fans.

This will be a interesting thread to look back on if the Bills end up resigning Byrd when he tests the market.

Lots of mean-spirited stuff being said.

Oh boo hoo......

Hes not coming back! Those tires you heard blowin outta one bills drive was Byrd leaving buffalo.

BBB, depends the defensive scheme and what you ask the Safeties to do. Byrd is talented but he is not a star. I do not wish any ill towards him but the disappointment is that he wanted out when the Bills are trying to make strides to improve.

Thanks!