Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

The risk is in once you do that( Rescind when the player is basically screwed). You then fire up the arguement as to why no free agents want to sign in Buffalo .You just gave them all the ammunition for against it. Respect goes both ways. Yes it sucks to lose out,but don't compound the problem.

If you believe that then how about teams won't want to sign Byrd because he had a boo boo on his toe.

:ph34r:

the risk is that you lose the opportunity at potentially a 3rd round comp pick for losing a player likely to go on to a 10m a year contract, if you dont get any trade partners.

Its not really a 3rd round pick. Its a not a Top 100. and there is no guarantee the Bills will get it. Plus 2015 draft is notoriously week. That is not really a compelling argument,

No to mention why would the Bills lose the comp pick? Byrd may still walk in Free Agency just a little delayed.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the risk is that you lose the opportunity at potentially a 3rd round comp pick for losing a player likely to go on to a 10m a year contract, if you dont get any trade partners.

You really can't make any kind of organizational decision based on a potential comp pick. They are awarded not earned. The all-time example of the randomness of comp picks was the Cardinals getting a mid first round pick for losing saftey Tim McDonald while the Bills only got a second rounder for pro bowl LT Will Wolford. Screw comp picks, they should do away with them completely......and with the stroke of a pen it could happen......so that is a non-risk IMO.

@JoeBuscaglia

Sources: Bills will not franchise tag Byrd http://bit.ly/1hZA1Af

If true, say goodbye to Dareus, Glenn, Gilmore and Alonzo in the coming years. Parker and Byrd gave them the blueprint on how to roll over this softy loser of a franchise.

The Bills are officially the minor league/developmental team for the real major league teams.

The risk is in once you do that( Rescind when the player is basically screwed). You then fire up the arguement as to why no free agents want to sign in Buffalo .You just gave them all the ammunition for against it. Respect goes both ways. Yes it sucks to lose out,but don't compound the problem.

yes, cuz so many top free agents and coaches have been lining up to sign with the bills before this debacle and there is so much respect for the organization now... i can think of many good reasons why fa's haven't been interested. the byrd tag wouldn't make the top 10.

@JoeBuscaglia

Sources: Bills will not franchise tag Byrd http://bit.ly/1hZA1Af

Just when I think the Bills FO really has changed, I read this......

They are still the same old Bills.

By not tagging Byrd, it seems like the Bills are just giving up

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan

Its not really a 3rd round pick. Its a not a Top 100. and there is no guarantee the Bills will get it. Plus 2015 draft is notoriously week. That is not really a compelling argument,

No to mention why would the Bills lose the comp pick? Byrd may still walk in Free Agency just a little delayed.

It could be a top 100 (1st comp pick is 97) and we would lose it 100% under your timeline because lost players have to sign by a pre-camp deadline in order to qualify as a loss (i believe june).

additionally, just as a restricted free agent, exclusive rights player or cut does not qualify im going out on a limb and guessing that a tagged player would not (though im not sure, but it would follow the same logic that the team held their rights and could restrict their options and chose to relinquish the rights to them the for the upcoming year)

as you said though, if we sign more players than we lose we wouldnt get it anyway - so if whaley intends to be active than you may be right that theres nothing to lose. i was just pointing out that the strategy may end up hurting the team where youd be better off just letting him play instead of pulling the tag just to try to screw him late august.

Edited by NoSaint

If the Bills do not tag Byrd, they are sending the wrong message to:

Eugene Parker

Every other agent

Our future free agents

Why they would not want to use the leverage they have is beyond me.

@ByTimGraham

Bills are holding a media session with Doug Whaley at 4 p.m. Only one person per outlet, I'm told. And I'm not the person.

Probably because he would have asked Whaley if he thinks the Bills should hire another GM and then say that he thinks they should

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan

TAG & TRADE

the bills will tag Byrd for the second year in a row. THEY WILL NOT TAG HIM A THIRD YEAR IN A ROW because they will have to pay a 144% increase or the average of the top 5 highest paid QB's in the previous season....yes I said quarterbacks.

Parker & Byrd will not accept any offers, will not sign the tender, will not report and will do whatever it takes to get to Free Agency. expect a repeat of last year. except this year the bills will blink and trade him.

it's all a charade.....both sides will want to be able to say they "bargained in good faith".

Tyrd doesn't want to sign with buffalo before becoming an UFA and the bills don't want to pay him 5yr / $50 mil / $30 guaranteed.

I knew the bills would blink first.....I didn't think it would be this soon.

Byrd had two subpar season's before his 2012 five interception season. The 2013 season cemented Byrd as a top safety in the league.

If the Bills had Byrd under contract, the Bills would fetch at least a 2nd round pick or possibly a low 1st round pick to a very good team that was one or two players away from a championship.

Yes, he's one of the best in the league. Unfortunately, we have no precedent to support the idea that he'd fetch a 1st round pick. Ask yourself what team has ever been a free safety away from a championship. They are cogs in the wheel, but seldom are they the main cog.

GO BILLS!!!

If the Bills do not tag Byrd, they are sending the wrong message to:

Eugene Parker

Every other agent

Our future free agents

Why they would not want to use the leverage they have is beyond me.

did they send the right message last year? if so, why isn't it working?

byrds are rats with wings. fly...fly away little clarice...