Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

Doug Whaley: "We decided to not franchise Jairus Byrd. We thank him for his contributions to the team and wish him well. We made a very fair and lucrative offer to Jairus, the most ever in the history of the NFL to a safety, and he and his representatives turned it down. We want players who want to be here, and we are doing everything we can to make this team better, and good for the long run."

He didn't really say that, he's just going to. And it may well be true that they offered the most ever to a safety, but it was also not a good offer, or nearly what he will get in FA. It could easily be 30m over the first three years (what they are saying as the most ever) but not enough guaranteed and only 40m over 5 years, which won't get it done.

And that is no excuse not to tag him, even if they planned right now to lift the tag should nothing happen down the line.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the Bills do not tag Byrd, they are sending the wrong message to:

Eugene Parker

Every other agent

Our future free agents

Why they would not want to use the leverage they have is beyond me.

I don't think the message is anything other than that they're moving on from Byrd.

I do wish they'd tag him to get another year of service--there's always the possibility that despite what they said they didn't appreciate his team effort last year

My prediction is the Bills sign a UFA FS and claim at that time it was really the plan all along..."We wanted Jairus to stay, but when we realized the price tag would be too high we knew we could use that money on...blah, blah..."

I'm not against moving on from Byrd but I think tagging him was the next logical step regardless...

This is not going to go over well...And I think that is going to end up being an understatement... B-)

I cant wait to hear the excuses from Whaley on this one.

I dont know how he can spin this into a positive thing.

CBF

You mean you are not buying into the "we wanted to make him the highest paid safety in the leaque" PR release.

I found yesterday's weak contrived PR release insulting. You franchise him again, and let every elite player down the road that they will have to sweat out avoiding a career ending injury for two full years if they want to play Byrd's game.

You mean you are not buying into the "we wanted to make him the highest paid safety in the leaque" PR release.

I found yesterday's weak contrived PR release insulting. You franchise him again, and let every elite player down the road that they will have to sweat out avoiding a career ending injury for two full years if they want to play Byrd's game.

Exactly.

I cant wait to hear his excuse for why they didnt tag Byrd again this year.

CBF

I cant wait to hear the excuses from Whaley on this one.

I dont know how he can spin this into a positive thing.

CBF

Easy. Steal someone else's positive spin motto..."Jairus Byrd has decided to free himself from job lock in Buffalo."

Bills app just sent update that the Bills will not use Franchise tag in 2014.

Brown just used Transition Tag on Alex Mack. You think anyone wants to be a Brown?

Yet The Bills FO still sits with thumb up arse.

I can't say I blame the FO on this one. They negotiated with his team on and off for two years and couldn't get it done. Time to move on. They made him a very fair offer and he refused it. He can be and will be replaced.

frustrating to see byrd and levitre enter the last year of their contracts 2 years ago and all we have gotten from two very good young players was half a dramatic season, and seemingly never close to an extension with either...

I think this is dumb. Bills are bringing a knife to a gun fight

In any event, we will find out soon enough whether Eugene Parker snookered Doug Whaley and the Bills.

Actually they're keeping their pistol holstered in a fist fight.

If they pull the Franchise Tag out you better use it.

Just got the text no tag for byrd

“We have negotiated with representation for Jairus Byrd for more than a year, but have yet to reach an agreement on a contract extension," said Whaley. "We remain open to getting a deal done with Jairus, but we have chosen not to use the franchise tag on any of our impending unrestricted free agents.”

http://www.buffalobi...95-dfb99cf95eea

Edited by ExWNYer