Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Players want to be paid what they think they are worth. Agents want the very best deal that they can get for their player not only to make money but more importantly to attract other players to sign with them. Actual money AND bragging rights are almost equally important, even though it doesn't seem reasonable that they should be.

A players ego, which is ENORMOUS, and that player wouldn't be in the NFL without it, needs to be massaged. If you are Byrd, the way you get recognition for your talent and your worth is by getting to pro bowls and all-pro teams, but more importantly by your contract. That is how players are measured against each other. That's what's important to them, and when they say respect, that is what they mean.

Byrd, rightfully so, wants to be thought of as one of the 2-3 best safeties in the game, and since he is young, he probably wants the most money, but will settle for something close. That doesn't mean 10m over first 3 years, which may well be (and I will bet) deceiving. That means most money overall and most guaranteed, even if he won't see it the last two years.

If he gets 30m in first three as reported, and his contract is 38 over 5, he will be looked at as the 5-6 best safety in the league, and he nor Parker are going to agree to that.

Not true, unless the team is already SB contender with a young team and very few holes.

We shall see. I'm just seeing the Browns have north of 50 million in cap space and they have our former defensive coordinator as their head coach.

The Browns trading for a perennial pro bowl safety is a clear signal to the team and their fans that they want to win now.

If it's true that the Bills have offered Byrd a very fair contract then there's obviously a team out there that he knows is willing to lay down 2 or 3 million a year more.

The franchise tag for Byrd is coming and I think the Bills will somehow play it to either get a chance to draft Sammy Watkins through a trade or a swap of picks, or Byrd is still a Bill in 2015. They hold all the cards and they aren't going to be played for chumps IMO.

If Bills don't tag Byrd, the only plausible explanation is that they agreed with he and his agent last year not to tag him again. It's a no lose proposition for the Bills to tag and trade -- crap, they could trade him for a 7th rounder -- what am I missing ? What is downside to tag and trade vs. letting him walk ??

Why do people give the Bills and the front office the benefit of the doubt in these situations? Clearly, there was bad blood between the Byrd camp and the Bills last year during negotiations and after, but why was that on Byrd? Maybe the Bills did not make a market offer. It cannot always be that the player did not want to be here. Maybe the players do not want to re-sign because of frustration with the pace and substance of negotiations on new deals over a period of years.

The bottom line is that we have had one winning season (barely at 9-7) in the last 14 years and we have not made the playoffs during that time. We are about to lose a probowl player with no compensation (after losing Levitre last year). I am tired of the Bills and the front office acting as if they are the victims of difficult agents or players that do not want to be here. We have the cap space. Enough with the excuses.

If Bills don't tag Byrd, the only plausible explanation is that they agreed with he and his agent last year not to tag him again. It's a no lose proposition for the Bills to tag and trade -- crap, they could trade him for a 7th rounder -- what am I missing ? What is downside to tag and trade vs. letting him walk ??

They will tag him, they stated that they would only a week ago...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327933/article/buffalo-bills-plan-to-franchise-tag-jairus-byrd-if-needed

Another way to look at it is, look at EVERYTHING, try to be objective, and tell me why WOULD he sign with the Bills unless it is going to be the top 1-2 overall safety contracts. There is every reason to believe he can get that on the open market. There is every reason to believe that he can get that from a team that has won more games lately and doesn't have a QB, front office or coaching issue. There is every reason to believe the Bills offer now will still be on the table later or be upped.

I am tired of the Bills and the front office acting as if they are the victims of difficult agents or players that do not want to be here.

The Bills front office and Buffalo does not offer a favorable combination of money, winning tradition and what some players want in cultural surroundings. If you solve at least 2 out of 3 you have a better shot at free agents.

Let's face it, fellas, we're a farm club for just about everyone else in the league. We develop 'em and let them leave. In the process we lose countless draft picks on them and then their replacements. We're spinning our wheels and going nowhere. That's how you reach 14 years of futility.

The truth hurts. :(

My guess is...right or wrong...they're just tired of dealing with it, and they want to move on... B-)

Wouldn't surprise me. Still wish they could get something in return for Byrd.

Another way to look at it is, look at EVERYTHING, try to be objective, and tell me why WOULD he sign with the Bills unless it is going to be the top 1-2 overall safety contracts. There is every reason to believe he can get that on the open market. There is every reason to believe that he can get that from a team that has won more games lately and doesn't have a QB, front office or coaching issue. There is every reason to believe the Bills offer now will still be on the table later or be upped.

It's no longer about what Byrd wants. He clearly isn't on board for whatever reason. What it's now about is the Bills getting the maximum value in a trade after they tag him. If there's no serious trade offers (1st or 2nd round pick, or a swap of picks) then they have a pro bowl safety next year who will be playing hard in a contract year. Tthey'll also have a ton of cap space in 2015 to sign our more important positions for long term contracts. If the Bills play well, get in the playoffs these players will actually want to stay.

We should get on the phone with the Rams and see if they would like to swap picks and we will give them Byrd in the process. So we would tag Byrd then give him to the Rams for the number 2 overall pick and they could have our 9th and we can get Clowney. The Rams would still have two first round picks and we wouldn't lose any picks in the process or do it with Cleveland since they also have two first rounders. The only reason why I brought up the Rams is because I think they would be more likely in trading back than the Browns would because I don't think the Browns are gonna want to possibly miss out on a QB at 4

Edited by bufffan031

Apparently you missed the reports that came out today that they won't tag him

If that's the case then they can join the Browns and Dolphins as the biggest NFL joke teams. They have the cap space for Byrd's franchise tag. I have to believe those reports are false. They come from a "source", the link I showed was an official statement from the Bills.

It's no longer about what Byrd wants. He clearly isn't on board for whatever reason. What it's now about is the Bills getting the maximum value in a trade after they tag him. If there's no serious trade offers (1st or 2nd round pick, or a swap of picks) then they have a pro bowl safety next year who will be playing hard in a contract year. Tthey'll also have a ton of cap space in 2015 to sign our more important positions for long term contracts. If the Bills play well, get in the playoffs these players will actually want to stay.

He's not on board because he is not getting the offer. It's arguable as to whether he is worth 9-10m a year over 5 years. I happen to believe he is. I agree there is ZERO reason not to tag him, and I still think they will although it's just a 50-50 guess.

And surely, part of the reason it's a little harder for us is because we have been losing. Players will stay or come if they are paid what they are worth.

Hey look at that--another marquee Bills player leaves town.

Now, I just need a Chris Brown report from mini camp saying Duke Williams looks "quick, explosive, and hungry," interspersed with a quote or two from maybe Gilmore (?) saying that Duke's "a ballhawk", and I'll be texting my friends something along the lines of: "you know, it might not be that bad that Byrd left..."

Throw into that something along the lines of a laser of a pass from EJ against the Giants third stringers in the second quarter of the hall of fame game (when Marrone keeps him in for an extra quarter,) that results in Woods running in untouched to cut the lead to 17-7;

Mix in an ESPN.com fantasy report saying "Spiller could be one to watch this season as he looks to be fully recovered from a high ankle sprain that limited his explosiveness in 2013"

And add a final touch of the Bills leading for most of game 1, opening week in Miami, only to give up a last second touchdown pass from Tannehil to lose 24-21,

And I estimate that right around October I'll be on here saying:

"if we win or next 7, that week 17 home game against the Jets will be to put us at 9-7 and steal a wild card spot", and Byrd will be a forgotten memory, just like

Whitner

Lynch

Greer

Poz

Levitre

et. al

We should get on the phone with the Rams and see if they would like to swap picks and we will give them Byrd in the process. So we would tag Byrd then give him to the Rams for the number 2 overall pick and they could have our 9th and we can get Clowney. The Rams would still have two first round picks and we wouldn't lose any picks in the process or do it with Cleveland since they also have two first rounders. The only reason why I brought up the Rams is because I think they would be more likely in trading back than the Browns would because I don't think the Browns are gonna want to possibly miss out on a QB at 4

Trade scenarios have to begin with the agreement by Byrd that he will sign long term with that team...That has to be kept in mind...My guess is Byrd and his agent know exactly where he wants to be, and that is a very short list...Then they have a couple other teams that he would consider if the money is right...That makes working out a deal REAL difficult...Not impossible...But difficult...Especially when the other party in this, Parker, may not want to be accommodating knowing his best case scenario is getting Byrd to the open market... B-)