Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

Heh.

Carrington is someone I think the staff wants to retain and should be able to on the cheap. Not signing an extension before the injury was an oopsy on his and Parker's part (though unforseeable).

I can't see Carrington wanting anything more than a one year deal...He's still young, and coming off the injury I don't think he'll command nearly what he will in the open market after playing a full season...I'm a bit higher on Carrington than some...I think he's really, really good and I'm guessing he'll be in line for a big payday if he stays healthy for 2014... B-)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are many reasons to tag - not the least of which it sends a message to the Eugene Parkers of the world in future negotiations.

We have the cap space. It gives us time to find or groom a replacement. We can try to trade him and get something in return. Also, I believe we can even rescind the tag before he signs it. Last year, he waited until the last moment to sign the tag. If he did that again, and we rescinded the tag late in the game, he risks that teams to don't have the cap space at that time.

We have some leverage. Why we would not use it is beyond me.

Just my two cents.

If they offered him top safety in NFL money and he rejected it, we can't really be mad at the Bills, they did everything they could and Byrd is just being an ass at this point.

Time to move on and now we have a big hole to fill in the secondary

I can't see Carrington wanting anything more than a one year deal...He's still young, and coming off the injury I don't think he'll command nearly what he will in the open market after playing a full season...I'm a bit higher on Carrington than some...I think he's really, really good and I'm guessing he'll be in line for a big payday if he stays healthy for 2014... B-)

I think we were mostly high on Carrington going into last season. I hope we can get another season to see what he's got, and if he is indeed great, let's spend the money to keep him. We need to make sure we have a solid line.

There are many reasons to tag - not the least of which it sends a message to the Eugene Parkers of the world in future negotiations.

We have the cap space. It gives us time to find or groom a replacement. We can try to trade him and get something in return. Also, I believe we can even rescind the tag before he signs it. Last year, he waited until the last moment to sign the tag. If he did that again, and we rescinded the tag late in the game, he risks that teams to don't have the cap space at that time.

We have some leverage. Why we would not use it is beyond me.

Just my two cents.

I agree that it would be a good power move and all, but also if he turned down #1 money, why waste any money on him? He's going to be a locker room cancer. Why not save the $8 mil and focus on locking down team leaders and younger talent?

Bills must have given Byrd assurances he wouldn't be tagged a 2nd time to get him on the field. That is the ONLY thing that makes any sense of this move. Ugh

Well...Here's a hypothetical...Byrd turns down a massive deal from the Bills averaging more than $9 million per year...The Bills are 100% convinced Byrd no longer want to be in Buffalo and renting him for another year is futile...The Bills immediately look for potential trade partners...They find a couple teams that would be willing to give up at least a 2nd round pick...But when they go back to Byrd he flatly refuses to sign with those teams long term...And the teams that he wants to sign with are unwilling to give up a Draft pick for him...Those teams are concerned because they know he's already turning down a massive offer from the Bills and they don't want to give up a high Draft pick for the right to pay Byrd premium cash...

In the end I would not be at all surprised to see Byrd take a Cliff Avril-type deal with a contender...I think he simply wants out of Buffalo and wants to play where he wants to play... B-)

Do the Bills target TJ Ward now? They may be able to get him for $7-$8M and pair him with AW. AW has potential to be really good IMO. It's just a thought.

If Byrd is indeed going to walk the Bills should aggressively go after Zach Strief as their top free agent target.

Good thoughts.

I'm of the opinion that Ward will command a lot on the market. He's young, had a career year, and embodies the hard hitting nature that teams desire lately. Perhaps Louis Delmas could be an option? He's younger and played in Schwartz's system.

I'd love to sign Strief, but there is mutual interest between his party and the Saints in getting a deal done. I'm keeping a close eye on KC for who they retain on their OLine

Maybe now fans will start assigning blame to where it belongs and that's with Byrd and Parker

I felt it was there all along... ;)

Though I do have to say this...If it's just a matter of Byrd not wanting to be in Buffalo because he wants to go to a contender, preferably closer to home...I can't really blame the guy for it...We all want what we want...And no matter how we all feel, the Bills as an organization (especially on the field) have given Byrd plenty of reasons to want to play elsewhere... B-)

Good thoughts.

I'm of the opinion that Ward will command a lot on the market. He's young, had a career year, and embodies the hard hitting nature that teams desire lately. Perhaps Louis Delmas could be an option? He's younger and played in Schwartz's system.

I'd love to sign Strief, but there is mutual interest between his party and the Saints in getting a deal done. I'm keeping a close eye on KC for who they retain on their OLine

Branden Albert is not staying, but the Cards and Dolphins are targeting him. Anthony Collins from Cincy might be someone to keep and eye on too.

I don't get why you wouldn't still tag him.

The comp pick for letting him go is worthless.

While no other team will tip their hand now, I am sure we could move Byrd if we tagged him. At worst, you would probably get a 3rd or 4th round pick. But better than nothing.

The 3rd or 4th rounder would be no different than the comp pick, though.

I'm surprised he's going to walk for nothing. I expect Louis Delmas to be his replacement...it makes too much sense.

We're going to have a lot of money to spend and yet Whaley says they are just going after "dust settle guys". How can they not be in the Hakeem Nicks or Eric Decker business now that they won't be paying Byrd 7 or 8 million? I'm not one to get upset about the way they spend money. I see too many teams blow cash on free agents that don't pan out. But now is the time because we aren't paying our QB anything and in today's NFL this is when you load up and help him.

If this comes true and he isn't tagged or resigned, then the Bills better damn well start extending the other young talent on the team including Dareus and A. Williams.

I'm surprised he's going to walk for nothing. I expect Louis Delmas to be his replacement...it makes too much sense.

We're going to have a lot of money to spend and yet Whaley says they are just going after "dust settle guys". How can they not be in the Hakeem Nicks or Eric Decker business now that they won't be paying Byrd 7 or 8 million? I'm not one to get upset about the way they spend money. I see too many teams blow cash on free agents that don't pan out. But now is the time because we aren't paying our QB anything and in today's NFL this is when you load up and help him.

If this comes true and he isn't tagged or resigned, then the Bills better damn well start extending the other young talent on the team including Dareus and A. Williams.

Nicks and Decker are going to command more money than they are worth.

I'm guessing the Bills will look towards their own roster first with the extra cash...Securing Dareus and Aaron Williams should become the priority now...

Nicks is too much of an unknown...He's a major underachiever and there is plenty of opinion out there that he is a Prima-donna...Plus he has a hard time staying healthy...Decker is going to command huge money and the question is how good will he be as a #1?... B-)

Here is scenerio. Parket lets it be known if you tag him two things will happen , we will tell any team that trades for him that we are not signing a deal, second if you tag him there is not guarentee he will play before week 8. From the Bills prospective they can't go all offseason with a gapping hole in the secondary. A williams is solid and maybe on his ways to big things but Duke is untested. They are going to have to go out and spend 3-5 million on a safety in free agency . So they risk the chance of have to high paid safties

Here is scenerio. Parket lets it be known if you tag him two things will happen , we will tell any team that trades for him that we are not signing a deal, second if you tag him there is not guarentee he will play before week 8. From the Bills prospective they can't go all offseason with a gapping hole in the secondary. A williams is solid and maybe on his ways to big things but Duke is untested. They are going to have to go out and spend 3-5 million on a safety in free agency . So they risk the chance of have to high paid safties

Agreed...It's something like this...Basically the teams that would be willing to give up something for Byrd have been told he wont sign there anyway...The Bills don't want to tie up all the cap space for a player that wont play for the whole season...So you just move on... B-)