Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

There's no such thing as a hometown discount when the hometown hasn't made the playoffs in 14 years

I agree. As a fan I love it when a player takes a hometown discount. However, we should not expect this or get upset if a player does not want to do this. Sports is a different beast. Within that beast football stands alone. Most players won’t ever see a majority of their contracts. All they get is the guaranteed money. And with football, the risk of serious injury or for most players, the impact, years down the line of an accumulation of injuries will make having a lot of money a necessity. Surgeries, treatments and medicines cost money; especially if one needs to get them for the rest of their lives.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, he was played there a ton, especially his first few years and under Wanny.

And while having him be responsible for a deep half isn't ideal for him, sometimes circumstance places him there. Even so, he's no shutdown man to man player in cover-0 either.

I'll stop now before I get scolded for poking holes in his game.

GO BILLS!!!

i think its a fair assessment that speed is his weakness and those are some places it shows, but id venture that if you reviewed all 32 free safeties, even in his weak spots hes top half of the league, and in his strengths hes among the best. i wouldnt call referencing those as poking holes as much as honestly assessing as i dont think you are among the "omg hes terrible cut him now" crowd, which ive never gotten the impression you are - simply that he might be more 5-10 instead of 1-5

There's no such thing as a hometown discount when the hometown hasn't made the playoffs in 14 years

yea when the hometown puts him in a media black hole and keeps him out of the national spotlight/playoffs, he doesnt get to take a little less and make up the difference elsewhere. though now that the defense is starting to shine a little atleast he gets some of the reflected credit of a top 10 unit, and guys in front of him that make him look better instead of making his job harder.

i think its a fair assessment that speed is his weakness and those are some places it shows, but id venture that if you reviewed all 32 free safeties, even in his weak spots hes top half of the league, and in his strengths hes among the best. i wouldnt call referencing those as poking holes as much as honestly assessing as i dont think you are among the "omg hes terrible cut him now" crowd, which ive never gotten the impression you are - simply that he might be more 5-10 instead of 1-5

What I love about Byrd is his intelligence and awareness. He really seems to be a good coach on the field, important for his role, and has great instinct and awareness. He capitalizes on weaknesses of the QB and seems to be a strong studier of film. He has succeeded in all of the different defenses the Bills have had, from the beginning as a rookie, no matter how good or bad the team is. This tells me he is responsible for his success just as much as his scheme, coaches, etc. Not a "system" guy.

What I love about Byrd is his intelligence and awareness. He really seems to be a good coach on the field, important for his role, and has great instinct and awareness. He capitalizes on weaknesses of the QB and seems to be a strong studier of film. He has succeeded in all of the different defenses the Bills have had, from the beginning as a rookie, no matter how good or bad the team is. This tells me he is responsible for his success just as much as his scheme, coaches, etc. Not a "system" guy.

i agree. im generally in the "just get a deal done" crowd, because he has shown great success in about a half dozen different schemes, often with lacking talent/cohesion in front of him and still has been among the most reliable safety nets AND play makers at the position. despite the bad blood many in the fan base seem to have he seems to be the type of guy you can build around long term and reliably get high level results. hes not a "boom or bust" risk like some free agents that get paid he is a "good or great" player, which is where id much rather commit.

is he the absolute perfect, prototype safety? no, he could definitely be a step faster but generally speaking, theres not a whole lot to point at and as i said upthread, i think even his weak spots are better than average because he makes up for that speed with his knowledge, instincts and studying. sure he may get caught out of position occasionally, but no player is perfect and i think many would be amazed by how often it happens even for the "good" safeties.

Edited by NoSaint

I agree about his instincts as a football player. Few are better, if any.

But just to be clear, a DB shouldn't have any problems adapting to new defenses. Fronts change, but coverages pretty much remain the same. A FS has the same responsibilities in a cover-2 behind a 43 front as he would when playing it behind a 34 front, for example.

That said, I liked how Pettine would let him play closer to the LOS more often. He really took advantage of Byrd's ability to anticipate.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree about his instincts as a football player. Few are better, if any.

But just to be clear, a DB shouldn't have any problems adapting to new defenses. Fronts change, but coverages pretty much remain the same. A FS has the same responsibilities in a cover-2 behind a 43 front as he would when playing it behind a 34 front, for example.

That said, I liked how Pettine would let him play closer to the LOS more often. He really took advantage of Byrd's ability to anticipate.

GO BILLS!!!

but that implies that his assignments and reads in the run game stayed the same, as well as what his reads and assignments in the passing game were. even if there are a lot of similarities in assignments and a basic cover 2 shell is a cover 2 shell and those exist everywhere... remember he was drafted into dick jaurons tampa two, which is pretty divergent from mike pettines defense.

Edited by NoSaint

Does it bother anyone else that Byrd's name is spelled wrong in the thread title? It's JAIRUS folks. No wonder contract negotiations haven't worked out. Sheesh. The guy wants to play in a city where the fans can get his name right.

Yep - Jarius seems to be some sort of conflation with Darius (King of the Persian Empire). Jairus is this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jairus .

What is taking Russ so long to get this done. Pay the man. He had 10 starts and still made the Pro Bowl.

Just read they have increased the cap this year & the Bills stand to be having $25 million under the cap, If that isn't incentive to sign him i don't know what is !!

If they don't sign him we can start the Brandon is a cheap A** posts because he is the one allowing the checks to be written now .

but that implies that his assignments and reads in the run game stayed the same, as well as what his reads and assignments in the passing game were. even if there are a lot of similarities in assignments and a basic cover 2 shell is a cover 2 shell and those exist everywhere... remember he was drafted into dick jaurons tampa two, which is pretty divergent from mike pettines defense.

Tampa-2 is no different than any other cover-2 with the exception of your MLB who is asked to take a deeper drop into coverage. Tampa-2 also signifies the use of lighter, gap-penetrating DTs.

The run fits for a FS aren't radically different behind either a 43 or 34 front.

We could spend all day discussing the differences in the run/pass responsibilities for DLmen and LBs depending on the fronts, but there just isn't much to cover when it comes to various zone or man coverage responsibilities for free safeties, regardless.

I liked how Pettine used him for sure. He got a ton of free reign out there. But when Pettine went to a cover-2, or 1 or 0 or whatever, JB played it pretty much the same way as he always had. Which stands to reason.

GO BILLS!!!

problem is they lump SS and FS together.. SS IMO is the more demanding position

http://www.spotrac.c...afety/limit-25/

I don' think Byrd is better then Troy was at his peak. Arguments for him being as good as Berry or Gholdston

Troy only got $10 mil guarenteed in his contract

Berry got $25 mill guarenteed

Gholdson got $18 mil guarenteed

Weddle got $19 mil guarenteed

I think Byrd needs $20 mil guarenteed and $9 mil per season heavily back loaded contract

Pittsburgh-Steelers-logo-psd22874.png Troy Polamalu at Safety $9,866,667

kansascity.png Eric Berry at Safety $8,340,717

tampa1.png Dashon Goldson at Safety $8,250,000

chargers2.png Eric Weddle at Safety $8,000,000

nygiants.png Antrel Rolle at Safety $7,420,000

dolphins.png Reshad Jones at Safety $7,340,000

hawks3.png Kam Chancellor at Safety $7,000,502

id say that Byrd is an all around better player than all the safeties that you listed. Exception to maybe Polamalu in his proem but it's close. And Chancellor within another year or so will become the leagues highest paid safety.

That tells me that Burd is worth every penny of 10m of that's what he's seeking. Parker is going to make is suffer now. Since we wouldn't sign him for 9m last year then it's gonna be 10m this year to make up for it. And probably an additional 1m per year for every year of the deal. Parker is a master. An @$$hol but a master none the less.

Edited by mrags

Just read they have increased the cap this year & the Bills stand to be having $25 million under the cap, If that isn't incentive to sign him i don't know what is !!

If they don't sign him we can start the Brandon is a cheap A** posts because he is the one allowing the checks to be written now .

RUSS IS CHEAP! lol. It has a ring to it. Except for all those extra offensive coaches and I am sure Schwartzy and Pepper weren't bargains. Edited by YoloinOhio

Tampa-2 is no different than any other cover-2 with the exception of your MLB who is asked to take a deeper drop into coverage. Tampa-2 also signifies the use of lighter, gap-penetrating DTs.

The run fits for a FS aren't radically different behind either a 43 or 34 front.

We could spend all day discussing the differences in the run/pass responsibilities for DLmen and LBs depending on the fronts, but there just isn't much to cover when it comes to various zone or man coverage responsibilities for free safeties, regardless.

I liked how Pettine used him for sure. He got a ton of free reign out there. But when Pettine went to a cover-2, or 1 or 0 or whatever, JB played it pretty much the same way as he always had. Which stands to reason.

GO BILLS!!!

right, a cover 2 is a cover 2 is a cover 2, but whether thats been behind man, or zone, regardless of the talent at corner, whether hes been pushed closer to the line or settled deep or whether hes been in a scheme with a little cover 2 and a lot of 3 (or vice versa), or with more or less responsibility in front of him -- hes looked consistently good, if not great. we havent found a scheme that he doesnt play well in because he plays well in just about any assignment. thats a major pro, because its not the case with every safety. many, especially in the second tier, excel at some assignments but have breakdowns when asked to do other things.

Edited by NoSaint

the bills could be $50 million under and it WON'T MATTER.....Tyrd's #1 priority is to become an UFA.

it is a virtual certainty Tyrd will become a UFA no latter than 2015. he's NOT accepting any long term offer from buffalo.

the bills ONLY option is to tag him and then likely trade him before a repeat of him not signing the tender or reporting to camp.

I'd say mid-late 1st round, or a 2nd and some change would be the likely compensation for Byrd. The Bears, Packers, Bengals, Steelers, and Eagles all have a tremendous need for a safety. Byrd is miles better than any safety in this draft and still young. Why wouldn't a team want a "sure deal" franchise safety with their 1st round pick? Seems logical to me.

Then way don't we keep him.

Byrd gets there with smarts 'cause he ain't fast enough to get there with speed. He's a playmaker with his smarts. But it's the plays that he doesn't make that make me wonder. If you review that game tape, look at him in cover-1 and cover-2. He's often VERY slow to get to the ball side of the field on longer passes against that look. I STILL haven't forgiven him for the 49ers game in 2012.

GO BILLS!!!

His lack of speed is the reason the Bills don't think he should be paid as the #1 safety in the game.

is this based on anything specific or just a logical guess?

Specific info. They really like him a lot, but speed and a few more minor things keep them from thinking he's worth as much as he wants...................I personally think they should pay him top money because of their cap room and not wanting to create a hole. Sometimes you overpay, sometimes you underpay - depending on timing.