Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

It amazes me that with how much more of a profit the league makes over other professional sports, it is the only one that doesn't guarantee contracts. See the Amare Stoudamire and Albert Pujols contracts. Maybe it's because of how many players are on each team. Anyone have any idea on why this is?

It's because the union (excuse me, Player's association) is so weak compared to ownership. Baseball is the exact opposite. Edited by Kirby Jackson

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

$10m plus per year? Gotta figure Parker wants more than Berry in guaranteed money.

See ya, Jairus

I mean after they get another year out of you at 8.3.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Bye, Bye Spiller (and maybe Dareus) after next year if they pay him that. Worth it? Those two may be more replaceable on this team....

We were 6-10 with BYRD . How many wins did he play in ? We were 6-10 . Nuff said. We need a lot more than one player.

Not sure you can go by that... Byrd's return coincided with EJ's 1st injury, so he played in a lot of games with Thad/Tuel running the show. Edited by YoloinOhio

Bye, Bye Spiller (and maybe Dareus) after next year if they pay him that. Worth it? Those two may be more replaceable on this team.

Not sure you can go by that... Byrd's return coincided with EJ's 1st injury, so he played in a lot of games with Thad/Tuel running the show.

Not in my opinion. He's too limited physically; just not an elite athletic specimen at the position. If Dareus can get and keep his head out of his ass, he's FAR more valuable simply by virtue of his proximity to the ball on every snap and the superior talent he possesses when he decides he wants to bring it. And while Spiller regressed last year, that was mostly due to his lingering high ankle issues. If it means losing them both vs. keeping Byrd, I vote letting Byrd go.

After we tag him one more season.

GO BILLS!!!

Not in my opinion. He's too limited physically; just not an elite athletic specimen at the position. If Dareus can get and keep his head out of his ass, he's FAR more valuable simply by virtue of his proximity to the ball on every snap and the superior talent he possesses when he decides he wants to bring it. And while Spiller regressed last year, that was mostly due to his lingering high ankle issues. If it means losing them both vs. keeping Byrd, I vote letting Byrd go.

After we tag him one more season.

GO BILLS!!!

On this team though... as it seems the coaches may already have an issue with Dareus and don't seem to know how to use Spiller/he can't get the system/whatever it is... I agree they are both extremely talented (both top 10 draft picks) but wonder how that is playing out internally...

Bye, Bye Spiller (and maybe Dareus) after next year if they pay him that. Worth it? Those two may be more replaceable on this team....

Not sure you can go by that... Byrd's return coincided with EJ's 1st injury, so he played in a lot of games with Thad/Tuel running the show.

Until we spend anywhere near the cap, I'd say it's not a major concern with regards to losing players. Every year we hear about how we can't sign X player or we will lose tons of guys, yet we haven't had to make a single true "we'd love to have you and the price is fair but we can't afford it" cap cut in a decade. Call me crazy but lets get a little risky and spend to the limit.

On this team though... as it seems the coaches may already have an issue with Dareus and don't seem to know how to use Spiller/he can't get the system/whatever it is... I agree they are both extremely talented (both top 10 draft picks) but wonder how that is playing out internally...

Agree the Dareus situation bears watching.

I'm hoping Spiller can get healthy and have a rebound season.

And I wasn't really at all surprised to see Hackett and Co. seemingly unsure how to use him. I fully expected them to take the better half of a season before they figured out what they had and how they all worked together. The musical chairs at QB all season really derailed a lot of what they wanted to implement.

GO BILLS!!!

One thing at a time. If the Bills don't make a real offer to Byrd, I will have serious concerns about this "new" front office. For the fiftieth time, you DO NOT let elite talent in their prime go and improve your team...

Is a "real offer" anything less than what he's seeking? If he's seeking $10m plus as mentioned above, is $9m a "real offer?"

GO BILLS!!!

Is a "real offer" anything less than what he's seeking? If he's seeking $10m plus as mentioned above, is $9m a "real offer?"

GO BILLS!!!

Give him what he wants. It's not my money! I want a real team again. Even if you make him the highest paid safety in the NFL, next year, someone will get more. By his third year, he's making average coin again...

The more things change, the more they remain the same at OBD.

2007 CB Nate Clements (franchised and not re-signed)

2007 LB London Fletcher (left in UFA)

2007 RB Willis McGahee (traded to Baltimore for picks that became Trent Edwards, a pick that was used to acquire Marcus Stroud, and C.J. Ah You)

2009 CB Jabari Greer (left in UFA)

2009 LT Jason Peters (traded to Philadelphia for picks that became Eric Wood, Shawn Nelson and Danny Batten; immediately signed to long term contract)

2010 RB Marshawn Lynch (traded to Seattle for picks that became Chris Hairston and Tank Carder)

2011 LB Paul Posluszny (left in UFA)

2013 OG Andy Levitre (left in UFA)

2014 FS Jairus Byrd?

The cost of being competitive seems too high for this organization. It'd be one thing if they had other priority free agents to sign or were close to the cap, but they weren't faced with either challenge from 2007-2014. If Byrd departs, the only decent draft this franchise has had in the past 5 years will have lost 2 of the 3 starters taken that year.

Edited by BillsVet

The more things change, the more they remain the same at OBD.

2007 CB Nate Clements (franchised and not re-signed)

2007 LB London Fletcher (left in UFA)

2007 RB Willis McGahee (traded to Baltimore for picks that became Trent Edwards, a pick that was used to acquire Marcus Stroud, and C.J. Ah You)

2009 CB Jabari Greer (left in UFA)

2009 LT Jason Peters (traded to Philadelphia for picks that became Eric Wood, Shawn Nelson and Danny Batten; immediately signed to long term contract)

2010 RB Marshawn Lynch (traded to Seattle for picks that became Chris Hairston and Tank Carder)

2011 LB Paul Posluszny (left in UFA)

2013 OG Andy Levitre (left in UFA)

2014 FS Jairus Byrd?

The cost of being competitive seems too high for this organization. It'd be one thing if they had other priority free agents to sign or were close to the cap, but they weren't faced with either challenge from 2007-2014. If Byrd departs, the only decent draft this franchise has had in the past 5 years will have lost 2 of the 3 starters taken that year.

You can do the exact same thing for every team and it would look like what you typed. (you forgot Winfield and Big Pat) Go ahead and start with the Patriots from the year they dealt Seymour. Every team in the league drafts guys and signs guys that they don't keep for various reasons. Are you implying that keeping Nate Clements was smart for the Bills? Or Willis or Lynch the nightmare teammates?

I hated to see Levitre go, and Greer and Poz. But every team has good guys go elsewhere all the time, it's a reality of the league.

... and don't seem to know how to use Spiller/he can't get the system/whatever it is...

How do you use a speed RB with only one leg? He was playing hurt all year. Every time he got in and got a decent run, he'd have to hobble off. Let him heel up that high ankle sprain and he'll be fine.

Give him what he wants. It's not my money! I want a real team again. Even if you make him the highest paid safety in the NFL, next year, someone will get more. By his third year, he's making average coin again...

Give him what he wants plus 10%. You win with talent, not cheap guys. I swear, some of yall sound like Ralph, cheap.

I find it funny that the issue that will ultimately drive me from this board (not that my presence matters) is people comparing what they make to athletes. Yes, in an ideal world income inequality would be a lot smaller but we don't live there so it doesn't matter. If fans are really rustled about the earnings of athletes they should stop watching/going to games/buying memorabilia since that is what generates the revenue, it won't matter but at least I won't have to listen to it anymore. NFL players are lucky to get ONE large deal and to not take advantage would be foolish. I hope Byrd resigns but I won't blame him if he leaves as long as he doesn't do anything to hurt the team. I don't think he was wrong to sit out with PF last season since he was under a one year deal and had played through it the year before in hopes of getting a big contract.

We were 6-10 with BYRD . How many wins did he play in ? We were 6-10 . Nuff said. We need a lot more than one player.

But he is one of our better players. With your logic we went 6-10 with Fred Jackson, CJ Spiller, Kyle Williams, Mario Williams.......