Stevie Johnson should be dealt addition by subtraction

Uuuuh...Lee Evans also broke franchise records...with JP !@#$ing Losman chucking it deep.

Why can't cutting him be neutral? Why does there have to be a benefit? Can't it just be "not bad?" This isn't wishful thinking here: what if they just don't like the guy? May be the FO sees it as a net zero.

Again, I don't think they should cut him. But I wouldn't be shocked/dismayed if they did.

And cutting Lee Evans when he was 27 would've been a mistake as well. It also didn't hurt that the one thing Losman did well was the one thing Evans did exceedingly well.

I don't think cutting Stevie would be a net zero. You'd need to replace nearly 280 catches and 26 TDs over the last 4 years. If you think that you can find a guy that can come in and catch 70 passes and score 6 TDs to replace Stevie's average production over the last 4 years, then--and only then--would it be a net zero (on the field that is).

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another question is , who do we replace him with. Even in an off year it's a significant number of catches to replace.

I remember some GM years ago saying, you don't get rid of players, you replace players.

You ask a very good question, unfortunately, the Bills have shown us again and again that they don't "get" this. Their MO is to cut a player without a viable replacement. They then use the draft to fill the need (thereby ignoring another) and everybody holds hands and shouts "see I told you they'd have a better option, our FO is the greatest!" Those people fail to see that the hole should never have been created in the first place.

He's posted some cryptic stuff on Instagram in the last few days. Am I reading too much into this or does he know something?

http://instagram.com/p/khq92VTNL9/

Not that I can actually read all the comments (script over pics is rough on my old eyes), but it certainly sounds like somebody, somewhere floated the idea of leaving the Bills past Stevie. I don't see any comments from him, one way or another... the way I see it, ultimately, it is the Bills decision whether he will be in Buffalo next season.

This may sound silly, but I think some athletes (like Steve Johnson) feed off of the love of the fan base, more than others. For the last few years, Stevie has, for better or worse, been the face of the Bills franchise. And, for the most part, he has been adored by most fans...but things seem to have gotten a little uglier this year, and many are jumping off his bandwagon.

I am not judging whether it is warrented or not (I myself have grown frustrated with him at times, but I still like the guy), but I think this is where that whole notion of fans "driving players out of town" comes from. Bills fans, even if it is a minority, can be pretty nasty once they are done with a guy. You can't listen to the radio call-in shows during the season without a handful of the same callers spewing on about how useless the guy is, normally bringing up incidents that happnened 2 or 3 years ago.

I know, too, people here will say it is all about being an athlete...it would be worse for Stevie in a "real city, with real sports media"..or "poor baby, nobody likes me, and 3 million dollars a year isn't going to make me feel any better".... you know, the usual stuff. And, I think some guys can handle that...they have a thick skin. Not saying that Steve Johnson isn't from that same mould (he is always positive from what I have seen), but I could understand where his desire to play for a team (has any Bills player been more positive about the Bills over the last few years?) would wain, and it would eventually affect his performance. Not saying it should, or it is right...just that it is human nature. If you are surrounded by negativity, it is bound to affect your performance. I have never seen/heard Steve Johson say anything to indicate that he is not 100% dedicated to being a Buffalo Bill. We could (and have) done much worse.

Edited by Buftex

I am in total agreement. Stevie Johnson is overrated.. I would move him for a third round pick in a heartbeat. He brings zero leadership to the team. Is always nicked up. And his play does not overcome his childish selfish antics.. (He is NOT TO or Ocho Cinco in their prime) We haven't won with him, so lets move him if at all possible.

The Patsies would take that trade in a heartbeat. Then Stevie would play in the slot and go on to get 110 catches for 10 TDs. Then you would b*tch about the Bills trading him.

Stevie's biggest problem is the QB throwing him the ball.

The Patsies would take that trade in a heartbeat. Then Stevie would play in the slot and go on to get 110 catches for 10 TDs. Then you would b*tch about the Bills trading him.

Stevie's biggest problem is the QB throwing him the ball.

Whenever Bills fans make excuses for players by blaming coaches and/or other players, they're rarely (if ever) proven right.

Edited by The Big Cat

Can we just trade TIm Graham?

Says a guy who has never been in the Bills' lockerroom or talked to any players in the team. Every wr on the team will tell u SJ is a great leader.

What else do you expect them to say?!? He's horrible and childish !?!? They are teammates, they have to co-exist in the locker room and saying anything other than he is a great leader would not make for a good locker room environment. Am I saying they lied? No, but I'll take those comments with a grain of salt.

Not that I can actually read all the comments (script over pics is rough on my old eyes), but it certainly sounds like somebody, somewhere floated the idea of leaving the Bills past Stevie. I don't see any comments from him, one way or another... the way I see it, ultimately, it is the Bills decision whether he will be in Buffalo next season.

This may sound silly, but I think some athletes (like Steve Johnson) feed off of the love of the fan base, more than others. For the last few years, Stevie has, for better or worse, been the face of the Bills franchise. And, for the most part, he has been adored by most fans...but things seem to have gotten a little uglier this year, and many are jumping off his bandwagon.

I am not judging whether it is warrented or not (I myself have grown frustrated with him at times, but I still like the guy), but I think this is where that whole notion of fans "driving players out of town" comes from. Bills fans, even if it is a minority, can be pretty nasty once they are done with a guy. You can't listen to the radio call-in shows during the season without a handful of the same callers spewing on about how useless the guy is, normally bringing up incidents that happnened 2 or 3 years ago.

I know, too, people here will say it is all about being an athlete...it would be worse for Stevie in a "real city, with real sports media"..or "poor baby, nobody likes me, and 3 million dollars a year isn't going to make me feel any better".... you know, the usual stuff. And, I think some guys can handle that...they have a thick skin. Not saying that Steve Johnson isn't from that same mould (he is always positive from what I have seen), but I could understand where his desire to play for a team (has any Bills player been more positive about the Bills over the last few years?) would wain, and it would eventually affect his performance. Not saying it should, or it is right...just that it is human nature. If you are surrounded by negativity, it is bound to affect your performance. I have never seen/heard Steve Johson say anything to indicate that he is not 100% dedicated to being a Buffalo Bill. We could (and have) done much worse.

His waning desire to play here could be the result of him blowing every chance he has had to help us win with drops and unsportsmanlike penalties when he finally makes a play. We have seen this happen too many times for him to be considered our #1 WR and he is feeling the wrath of our comments regarding him not being a #1. I can only remember 1 catch where he helped us win(game winning TD catch from EJ and even that catch was sketchy, don't remember who against). If you ask me, he has this season to prove he's a #1 WR or even a decent #2 who deserves the $ he's making. I hope he proves us wrong, I really do. Don't think it'll happen though.

His waning desire to play here could be the result of him blowing every chance he has had to help us win with drops and unsportsmanlike penalties when he finally makes a play. We have seen this happen too many times for him to be considered our #1 WR and he is feeling the wrath of our comments regarding him not being a #1. I can only remember 1 catch where he helped us win(game winning TD catch from EJ and even that catch was sketchy, don't remember who against). If you ask me, he has this season to prove he's a #1 WR or even a decent #2 who deserves the $ he's making. I hope he proves us wrong, I really do. Don't think it'll happen though.

His waning desire to play here, if it exists, may stem from the blowhard my way or the highway Greggo Marrone. Stevie has an entirely unique skill set which can be used to great impact in the NFL. I'm not sure a 9 year old OC can figure it out, but Chan sure did. To lose a player like this because a coach and his staff have thinner skin than a genetically deficient grape would be a shame.

Edited by 4merper4mer

His waning desire to play here, if it exists, may stem from the blowhard my way or the highway Greggo Marrone. Stevie has an entirely unique skill set which can be used to great impact in the NFL. I'm not sure a 9 year old OC can figure it out, but Chan sure did. To lose a player like this because a coach and his staff have thinner skin than a genetically deficient grape would be a shame.

I can't help but notice that you really, really hate Doug Marrone. I am not 100% sold on him either, I am still reserving judgement....but what has he done to make you think A) he is just like Gregg Williams, and B) he has an extra thin skin? I have seen no evidence of any of this.

I can't help but notice that you really, really hate Doug Marrone. I am not 100% sold on him either, I am still reserving judgement....but what has he done to make you think A) he is just like Gregg Williams, and B) he has an extra thin skin? I have seen no evidence of any of this.

It's part of his schtick

Greggo Marrone takes all of his discussion points from 1980s business motivational books and discusses accountability, being open and honest, "thinking outside the box" and a bunch of other claptrap. He then proceeds to retain crappy coaches and gives lame reasons for firing others, who are soon replaced with former cronies. His behavior reminds me of Williams because he talks like an authority and acts like a paranoid 3rd world dictator. I want him to succeed. I also want every $10/share stock I buy to go to $40 Trillion/share. Odds are these things won't happen.

I don't hate him, I just see through his line of macho crap. Sometimes people can learn and make adjustments and I hope he does because I do not want another reset button for this team. I have just not seen any signs that he can adjust. I'm sure he is a good father and whatnot but he has too much self doubt disguised as bravado to do well in the NFL. You of all people should acknowledge that I have an ability to read between the lines as demonstrated in my Lakers over Hawks or Magic after fake Celtics injury, Lakers in 7 over Celtics, Mavericks, Lebron prediction all very far in advance.

I call him thin skinned because every time he is asked a question tougher than "what is your favorite color" his answer reminds me of this:

Greggo Marrone takes all of his discussion points from 1980s business motivational books and discusses accountability, being open and honest, "thinking outside the box" and a bunch of other claptrap. He then proceeds to retain crappy coaches and gives lame reasons for firing others, who are soon replaced with former cronies. His behavior reminds me of Williams because he talks like an authority and acts like a paranoid 3rd world dictator. I want him to succeed. I also want every $10/share stock I buy to go to $40 Trillion/share. Odds are these things won't happen.

I don't hate him, I just see through his line of macho crap. Sometimes people can learn and make adjustments and I hope he does because I do not want another reset button for this team. I have just not seen any signs that he can adjust. I'm sure he is a good father and whatnot but he has too much self doubt disguised as bravado to do well in the NFL. You of all people should acknowledge that I have an ability to read between the lines as demonstrated in my Lakers over Hawks or Magic after fake Celtics injury, Lakers in 7 over Celtics, Mavericks, Lebron prediction all very far in advance.

I call him thin skinned because every time he is asked a question tougher than "what is your favorite color" his answer reminds me of this:

I couldn't agree more. The guy is in way over his head.

And that video is hilariously spot on. Never seen it before but what an apt example!