Stevie Johnson should be dealt addition by subtraction

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not be surprised if he is cut. He can't stay healthy and his production doesn't come close to justifying his salary

I also don't think he is a Marrone type of player so although I wouldn't mind seeing him back at a reduced salary and not counted on to be the top WR I just don't see it happening if he is cut. This is the time teams start notifying players they won't be back

He will most likely go somewhere and be a very good number 2 or 3

Edited by Max997

Its just not going to happen this season. Its poor cap management. Cutting him now saves them only 25,000 toward the cap, meaning they would still have to pay him 8.475 million. Before the 2015 season, that changes to like 3.2 million in savings/5.65 in dead money, which is slightly more palatable.

Stevie's contract is not guaranteed so where are you getting this they would still have to pay him 8.475 million????

Any guarantees in a players contract are usually paid when he signs the contract with the cap hit spread out over the course of the contract

There is more to a player getting cut then his cap number. The team can save real money by cutting him and not having to pay his salary

Edited by Max997

Stevie's contract is not guaranteed so where are you getting this they would still have to pay him 8.475 million????

Any guarantees in a players contract are usually paid when he signs the contract with the cap hit spread out over the course of the contract

There is more to a player getting cut then his cap number. The team can save real money by cutting him and not having to pay his salary

That would be the dead money, not the money owed. As you point out, if cut he'd count that much against the cap but we wouldn't be paying him that.

The guarantees part isn't quite right. Signing bonus is paid but amortized. Any other fully guaranteed dollars are immediately put in a seperate account to be paid when the salary or bonus is contracted and will count accordingly against the cap at that point.

Edited by NoSaint

Or maybe he's spending some time organizing his photo collection in the offseason?

Sure. I mean, I don't think it's likely that he'd be cut. And if he was traded, you'd think he have something positive to say about where he's going and "handling biz and having fun," and all that.

That said, his twitter and instagram feeds have been topical- like a reflection of current events, not throwbacks to training camp or the 2012 season. So while his pics may be unrelated to being released or traded, they aren't what you typically find on his feeds.

Then again, he's due a $1.75 million roster bonus in March so who the hell knows?

Stevie has ZERO trade value...NONE. No team is going to trade for a injury prone over paid WR

I am not a Stevie hater but you cant deny that he is hurt a lot and that his production does not merit his salary.

Like it or not but players in these situations are usually cut and the fact that anyone thinks he has trade value is comical to me

That would be the dead money, not the money owed. As you point out, if cut he'd count that much against the cap but we wouldn't be paying him that.

The guarantees part isn't quite right. Signing bonus is paid but amortized. Any other fully guaranteed dollars are immediately put in a seperate account to be paid when the salary or bonus is contracted and will count accordingly against the cap at that point.

The poster I was responding to was suggesting Stevie would be paid if cut which is not correct

Edited by Max997

The team doesn't care about the cap hit. They're never close to the max anyway. But they will save real money by cutting him. And that they do care about.

If this does happen, its business as usual at OBD. One step forward, two steps back.

It amazes me how many people don't get this

No team is going to keep paying a player just bc there wouldn't be a big cap savings if they cut him

Edited by Max997

I am not a Stevie hater but you cant deny that he is hurt a lot and that his production does not merit his salary.

So if he were to post 75 rec, 1000 yards and 6 tds this upcoming season, would his production merit his salary?

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

8.4 mil in dead money if cut/traded only 25k in cap savings.

They would however save real money by not paying him his salary if cut regardless of if there was a cap savings or not

No team is going to continue to pay a player just because there wouldn't be a big cap savings if they cut him

If cut, not traded. The contract goes with him in a trade.

Stevie has no trade value. He is injured a lot and has a big cap number so what team would trade for him?

Edited by Max997

Sure. I mean, I don't think it's likely that he'd be cut. And if he was traded, you'd think he have something positive to say about where he's going and "handling biz and having fun," and all that.

That said, his twitter and instagram feeds have been topical- like a reflection of current events, not throwbacks to training camp or the 2012 season. So while his pics may be unrelated to being released or traded, they aren't what you typically find on his feeds.

Then again, he's due a $1.75 million roster bonus in March so who the hell knows?

Were past the 2013 league year trade deadline

They would however save real money by not paying him his salary if cut regardless of if there was a cap savings or not

No team is going to continue to pay a player just because there wouldn't be a big cap savings if they cut him

Sure they will. Because they'd have to find cap room for a replacement and there's only so much of that space to go around. If you can't afford to replace the talent because you aren't saving cap space you carry the guy you have sometimes.

So if he were to post 75 rec, 1000 yards and 6 tds this upcoming season, would his production merit his salary?

What does that have to do with the decision to keep or cut him today?

As it is today it does not make sense for the team to keep him at his current salary when he has been hurt as much as he has and the team can get the same production from a younger cheaper player

Edited by Max997

For the life of me I don't see the logic in getting rid of Stevie...But sometimes I feel like I'm in the minority...Which does surprise me a bit...

Oh well...

I should add though that Stevie has had his fair share of injuries...Some (the groin) seem to be a bit chronic...So maybe there is some logic in it due to his salary...I'd just hate to see him go...I really like the guy...

Edited by KOKBILLS

Sure they will. Because they'd have to find cap room for a replacement and there's only so much of that space to go around. If you can't afford to replace the talent because you aren't saving cap space you carry the guy you have sometimes.

Therein lies the question. Would they prefer to pay out more actual dollars and have more cap room by keeping Stevie? Or pay less actual dollars and have less cap room when they sign some jobber to replace him for 3m a year?

It's the Bills. So I don't have a good feeling about this.

The Bills don't have cap issues so your point is irrelevant. The Bills would most likely replace him with a rookie anyway

You don't keep a guy and pay him 7 mil or whatever his salary is just because there wouldn't be a big cap savings

Ppl tried tried to make the same argument for keeping Fitz last year and what happened? They cut Fitz and signed Kolb

Edited by Max997

I didn't consider that, but when is trading allowed? After the Super Bowl or not until the new league year?

The new league year starts March 11. Not sure when Stevie's bonus is due. Googling says "March," so idk if that means March 1 or March 11 or just sometime in March.

Either way, I don't think it's absurd to think a team could negotiate and agree to a trade at anytime, and then execute the trade during the appropriate window.

For the record, I think this is much ado about nothing. I like to play the "What If" game, and re-reading some of my posts it seems like I'm a conspiracy theorist. I think it'd be foolish to part ways with Stevie unless another team were to make an offer the Bills couldn't refuse. But I can't see that happening, so here's to hoping even if SJ is in Marrone's doghouse that Whaley wouldn't do something so stupid.

What does that have to do with the decision to keep or cut him today?

As it is today it does not make sense for the team to keep him at his current salary when he has been hurt as much as he has and the team can get the same production from a younger cheaper player

This is just wrong on every level.

He hadn't missed a game until this year. The last two were not injury related anyway. And only the simplest of observers would think his lack of production is due to anything other than the trainwreck at qb.