Stevie Johnson should be dealt addition by subtraction

The problem is that SJ lives on his relatively few spectacular plays while being otherwise average or below average the rest of the time all the while being a distraction and sometimes exhibiting a piss-poor attitude. I would prefer the BILLS to trade him....and then sign Decker with the money they save. Decker has been on a team full of other more highly regarded WRs and he just goes out and does his thing...being productive. And while i don't want the BILLS to simply accept Decker as the answer to all things WR as I would love to see them invest in one either in the 2nd or 3rd round, i personally believe Decker would be a better fit in the long-run than SJ at this point. Not to mention, I'm sick of watching him make crucial fumbles and drop passes in the end zone (Pitt game) while throwing up his arms in the end zone in frustration (KC game)...all in all, he makes some good to great plays, and then he undoes it with his bulls*it and then becomes a story off the field once the game is over....no thanks. Just give me a WR who loves the game and leaves it all on the field with his team and has a dependable set of hands....I'll take Decker with the SJ savings thank you and then use my SJ Draft choice I got in return from a trade to add talent to the team....

According to NFL.com, Decker is looking for a salary in the $10M/year range...

That's about 40% more than Stevie makes for a guy that was his team's #3 WR (and #4 passing target).

The team that signs Decker is buying extremely high if you ask me (and nobody did)...very poor investment IMO.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So every receiver needs to either be a #1 or cut?

Show you any stat and it won't matter? Well then your mind is made up that you dislike Stevie no matter what. What would be the point in engaging you in a conversation about his talents?

It bothers me tremendously that players have to deal with fans like this. What has he done to deserve this vitriol? Give me an error and or a scenario involving Stevie and I will give you a similar one with a player who I am sure you think is better. Go ahead any situation or scenario that Stevie gets dogged for. I have some time to kill...

:lol:

First of all, Bills security will have truly gone to s#!* if Stevie ever has to "deal" with me.

Secondly, I don't see how its vitriolic to wish we could upgrade a position that's lacking. -Forget about the P-burgh drop, the fake Plaxico gunshot, and the "happy new year" penalty for a second. Stevie had 2 HUGE gaffes this season... One, a drop in the first game against the Patsoes, the other, when he fumbed away a game-ending catch vs. ATL. I mean seriously; Why am I NOT worried about rookies Goodwin and Woods when the Ball is thrown their way, yet TERRIFIED when Steve Johnson is the intended target?

BECAUSE HE MAKES STUPID MISTAKES.

Yah sure, we all do. -I get that.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't have to pay for them.

Stevie's poor judgement, and acute narcissism are really the larger problems here. I think we can put Stevie in the same sentence as the Demaryius Thomas's, Anquan Boldin's or Larry Fitzgerald's of the world when he focuses, and eliminates the unnecessary stupid from his game. -IMO, that can't happen with a coaching staff, and fan base full of enablers.

Edited by #34fan

quote]

:lol:

First of all, Bills security will have truly gone to s#!* if Stevie ever has to "deal" with me.

Secondly, I don't see how its vitriolic to wish we could upgrade a position that's lacking. -Forget about the P-burgh drop, the fake Plaxico gunshot and the "happy new year" penalty for a second. Stevie had 2 HUGE gaffes this season... One, a drop in the first game against the Patsoes, the other, when he fumbed away a game-ending catch vs. ATL. I mean seriously; Why am I NOT worried about rookies Goodwin and Woods when the Ball is thrown their way, yet TERRIFIED when Steve Johnson is the intended target?

BECAUSE HE MAKES STUPID MISTAKES.

Yah sure, we all do. -I get that.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't have to pay for them.

Stevie's poor judgement, and acute narcissism are really the larger problems here. I think we can put Stevie in the same sentence as the Demaryius Thomas's, Anquan Boldin's or Larry Fitzgerald's of the world when he focuses, and eliminates the unnecessary stupid from his game. -IMO, that can't happen with a coaching staff, and fan base full of enablers.

And you lose people when you ignore that Stevie had the game winning catch against Carolina.

And you lose people when you ignore that Stevie had the game winning catch against Carolina.

Or gloss over the fact that chandler also had a fumble in the Atlanta game.

Or that the huge drop in the New England game was with 8 minutes to go and that New England killed the last minute and a half before winning the game. Do you really think that the Bills would have killed 8 minutes?

Or that the drop in the Pittsburgh game was over 3 years ago! It was the difference between a 4 and 5 win season.

Or that he didn't receive a single celebration penalty this year.

The problem is that SJ lives on his relatively few spectacular plays while being otherwise average or below average the rest of the time all the while being a distraction and sometimes exhibiting a piss-poor attitude. I would prefer the BILLS to trade him....and then sign Decker with the money they save. Decker has been on a team full of other more highly regarded WRs and he just goes out and does his thing...being productive. And while i don't want the BILLS to simply accept Decker as the answer to all things WR as I would love to see them invest in one either in the 2nd or 3rd round, i personally believe Decker would be a better fit in the long-run than SJ at this point. Not to mention, I'm sick of watching him make crucial fumbles and drop passes in the end zone (Pitt game) while throwing up his arms in the end zone in frustration (KC game)...all in all, he makes some good to great plays, and then he undoes it with his bulls*it and then becomes a story off the field once the game is over....no thanks. Just give me a WR who loves the game and leaves it all on the field with his team and has a dependable set of hands....I'll take Decker with the SJ savings thank you and then use my SJ Draft choice I got in return from a trade to add talent to the team....

I think that you "trade Stevie" guys are really living in a dream world. We can argue how good he is till the cows come home but the fact remains, and has been pointed out in this thread time and time again, that he simply is not nearly good enough for another NFL team to trade for his almost 9 million dollar a year salary. Even Stevie fans like me wouldn't trade for him at that salary. Yet we still get people here thinking that a team would trade for Stevie.

As for Decker, he's not coming here because Stevie's going to be a Buffalo Bill in 2014 and again his salary is almost 9 million dollars. The Bills aren't laying down two huge contracts at WR.

Or that the huge drop in the New England game was with 8 minutes to go and that New England killed the last minute and a half before winning the game. Do you really think that the Bills would have killed 8 minutes?

Or that the drop in the Pittsburgh game was over 3 years ago! It was the difference between a 4 and 5 win season.

Steve Johnson is a seventh rounder that's been given six years to get his act together. To date, he has not. This draft features an abundance of talent at WR... Big, strong targets like Davante Adams, Martavis Bryant and Kelvin Benjamin... The bills are sitting in the catbird seat with the #9 pick overall.. At what point will somebody yell NEXT!

Just sayin'.

Edited by #34fan

Except that's the one clutch play used to counter the multiple boneheaded ones he's made under similar circumstances.

Then I guess it's worth drudging back up: the biggest difference between Stevie and Chandler's fumbles was how they reacted to them afterward.

Our self-proclaimed leader who's done things to screw up games in the past couldn't bring himself to simply say "my bad."

The next time he does will be his first.

And for me, that's why his multiple bonehead plays aren't negated by his one clutch play against Carolina, because he's done the opposite of demonstrating maturity, that he's learned from his mistakes. And as far as I can tell, that's why he keeps making dumb mistakes when it matters.

Steve Johnson is a seventh rounder that's been given six years to get his act together. To date, he has not. This draft features an abundance of talent at WR... Big, strong targets like Davante Adams, Martavis Bryant and Kelvin Benjamin... The bills are sitting in the catbird seat with the #9 pick overall.. At what point will somebody yell NEXT!

Just sayin'.

Just sayin but 3 of those 6 seasons are 1000 yard years. Adding talent isn't a bad thing at the receiver position. Why would you weaken it beforehand though? What is a better receiving corps? One with a draftee and Stevie or one with just the draftee?

Just sayin but 3 of those 6 seasons are 1000 yard years. Adding talent isn't a bad thing at the receiver position. Why would you weaken it beforehand though? What is a better receiving corps? One with a draftee and Stevie or one with just the draftee?

Obviously without Stevie. -For me, anyway.

Seriously, why draft a stud #1WR prospect if your'e gonna hang onto the penalty-magnet/gaffe-master/attention whore distraction-guy? I'd off-load Stevie while there's folks like you he may still have some value to.

Not for nothing, but I REALLY liked what I saw from Woods and Goodwin last season. Looked to me like something to build on... Damn shame when you have more faith in your rookie's leadership skills than a six-year veteran's.

Edited by #34fan

I think that you "trade Stevie" guys are really living in a dream world. We can argue how good he is till the cows come home but the fact remains, and has been pointed out in this thread time and time again, that he simply is not nearly good enough for another NFL team to trade for his almost 9 million dollar a year salary. Even Stevie fans like me wouldn't trade for him at that salary. Yet we still get people here thinking that a team would trade for Stevie.

As for Decker, he's not coming here because Stevie's going to be a Buffalo Bill in 2014 and again his salary is almost 9 million dollars. The Bills aren't laying down two huge contracts at WR.

Can we throw in TJ, and Lee Evans?

Not for nothing, but I REALLY liked what I saw from Woods and Goodwin last season. Looked to me like something to build on... Damn shame when you have more faith in your Rookies leadership skills than a six-year veteran's.

Who is you? You''re not speaking for everyone are you? Wouldn't it be more proper to say I?

Just sayin'.

I don't think there is any doubt the Bills are going to add a big WR whether it be high in the draft or in FA (likely the draft). Marrone has said they want to do this. Not sure why that automatically means they get rid of SJ. As I said, you can't field a group of inexperienced WRs and inexperienced QBs and expect to win many games. You need a veteran or 2, he plays in the slot now, they can add a WR1 and still keep SJ.

Obviously without Stevie. -For me, anyway.

Seriously, why draft a stud #1WR prospect if your'e gonna hang onto the penalty-magnet/gaffe-master/attention whore distraction-guy? I'd off-load Stevie while there's folks like you he may still have some value to.

Not for nothing, but I REALLY liked what I saw from Woods and Goodwin last season. Looked to me like something to build on... Damn shame when you have more faith in your rookie's leadership skills than a six-year veteran's.

I don't care if he is a "leader" - many WRs are not. They are spotlight guys. I do care if he plays well, which he normally does, and if he has experience, which he does. As much as you can't probably get a team to trade for his salary, you also won't get his value in return.

I don't think there is any doubt the Bills are going to add a big WR whether it be high in the draft or in FA (likely the draft). Marrone has said they want to do this. Not sure why that automatically means they get rid of SJ. As I said, you can't field a group of inexperienced WRs and inexperienced QBs and expect to win many games. You need a veteran or 2, he plays in the slot now, they can add a WR1 and still keep SJ.

I don't care if he is a "leader" - many WRs are not. They are spotlight guys. I do care if he plays well, which he normally does, and if he has experience, which he does. As much as you can't probably get a team to trade for his salary, you also won't get his value in return.

I see your point, but I hate the Idea. -If it were possible to trade both Stevie and TJ, as some sort of a package I'd favor that. The drive/game/morale-killing mistakes are a big liability for me... I say start over.

Just sayin'.

Get his act together? The only problem with his "act" is that his coach is too thin skinned to handle a guy who has a little harmless fun. Eating $8M in dead cap space so you can get rid of a good player and draft a big question mark while ignoring other obvious needs rarely nets an improved team.

For every good catch Steve Johnson makes, he'll have 2 HORRIBLE drops, a disastrous fumble, and some other terrible misdeed that will cost us penalty yards.

JMWO but Stevie AND TJ Graham should go.

If you make a wrong turn, you shouldn't just keep going.

well i do. But i just drive alot faster.

I agree. He is a whipping boy, much the same as AW was. He may or may not earn a spot in camp based upon who else they bring in... but he was a 3rd rd pick, very fast and only going into his 3rd year so my guess is, at worst, he sees reduced snaps. The added WR coaches and a little more experienced QB may, in fact, help him.

You are a saint.

and have a positive attitude. I am taking notes honestly

Get his act together? The only problem with his "act" is that his coach is too thin skinned to handle a guy who has a little harmless fun. Eating $8M in dead cap space so you can get rid of a good player and draft a big question mark while ignoring other obvious needs rarely nets an improved team.

It ain't harmless if it costs the team fifteen yards... It's certainly harm-FUL if you lose a game behind his tom-foolery.

He's a veteran. -Agreed. Thing is, he seldom behaves like one. In fact, his behavior can range from erratic, to unprofessional, to downright detrimental within the course of ONE GAME. What exactly can rookies glean from his critical gaffes, clownish behavior, and rambling, incoherent, responses to the media?

Without any malice, or vitriol I say it's time to turn the page on both Stevie AND TJ... It's an opinion. -A strong one, but in the end just an opinion... There are receivers in this draft that can step in and have an immediate, positive, impact on offense. I like that direction much more than hoping Steve Johnson finally gets his head on straight.

It ain't harmless if it costs the team fifteen yards... It's certainly harm-FUL if you lose a game behind his tom-foolery.

He's a veteran. -Agreed. Thing is, he seldom behaves like one. In fact, his behavior can range from erratic, to unprofessional, to downright detrimental within the course of ONE GAME. What exactly can rookies glean from his critical gaffes, clownish behavior, and rambling, incoherent, responses to the media?

Without any malice, or vitriol I say it's time to turn the page on both Stevie AND TJ... It's an opinion. -A strong one, but in the end just an opinion... There are receivers in this draft that can step in and have an immediate, positive, impact on offense. I like that direction much more than hoping Steve Johnson finally gets his head on straight.

TJ Graham is coming along nicely. Not bad for a stretch the field receiver who has QB's that can't get the ball to him. Torrey Smith wouldn't look too good on the corp either.

Graham still has heart too, kid never gives up. Chased down the CB 100 yards at full speed in the KC game.

Conversely, SJ threw a tantrum mid-play.

Edited by FireChan

TJ Graham is coming along nicely. Not bad for a stretch the field receiver who has QB's that can't get the ball to him. Torrey Smith wouldn't look too good on the corp either.

Graham still has heart too, kid never gives up. Chased down the CB 100 yards at full speed in the KC game.

Conversely, SJ threw a tantrum mid-play.

So now we're building up TJ Graham so that we can tear down Stevie Johnson? That's the plan now? Good to know.