Cuomo appointees to explore new Bills Stadium

uncle flap

You are generalizing without knowing what held things back. The big reason was the NFTA which for some reason controlled all the Buffalo waterfront. What changed is NFTA giving up control to the city. That, plus Brian Higgins got things moving. Mayor Brown did a lot to clear a path, but the A-numero-uno reason is Terry "Daddy Warbucks" Pegula. You need a billionaire patron and Buffalo has one now.

The group you are referring to is sort of an outlier. It's not government stopping them. Even the Bills are not interested in what that group is saying. And don't kid yourself. NOTHING gets done privately without government being involved at some level.

PTR

One has to wonder why that is. I someone else builds a stadium and they can play there why would the Bills or any other team with the a similar option turn that down.

One has to wonder why that is. I someone else builds a stadium and they can play there why would the Bills or any other team with the a similar option turn that down.

It all has to do with the selling price. If there is a new stadium, there has to be a lease. This limits options for a new owner, which may lower the selling price.

This is great news for the Bills & keeping them in B/lo ! I am impressed that they are moving forward due to what was said when the talk of using the water front as a site was mostly of a negative vibe .

If the Bills want to stay viable in any way they need to have a new stadium & the people & the area have to start realizing that there are only 32 NFL teams in the league which is something special to have .

The Bills are a part of the great history of the city & it would be terrible if they left for all concerned . The city, state & county would lose a ton of revenue & jobs that help the local economy not to mention what the mentality of the area would be with out the team .

I'm not saying they need to stay at all costs but i am saying they need to do as much to keep the Bills in Buffalo as the were willing to give the Mets & Yanks new homes , beside the Bills are the only true NY state team ! The others only have the name but the Bills are the real deal in NY !!

Go Bills !!!

I never expected this to happen as I didn't think NYS would pony up the billion dollars it would take to build an up to date stadium. It would be great to model our stadium like Seattle, not because they won the SB, but the partilal dome, cut down on the wind, smaller at 65,000 seats, and closer to Canada and Rochester to encourage more regionalism. This would be the smart move as you could sell out that much easier pulling from Rochester, and Canada even more solidifying a team in Buffalo for the long haul. We'd sell more luxury boxes, and this is what an ownership group wants to see.

Go Bills!!

The Ralph is a perfectly fine place to see a game as long as it remains structurally sound.

New is not necessarily better. Ask any season ticket holder from other teams that had to pony up for a large PSL.

Since Cuomo is a self serving hack who is motivated by by his political aspirations, I take whatever move he makes RE: The Bills with a grain of salt.

yeah. Once the election passes, this will shrivel up and blow away.

That was a curious reaction from the Bills. Why wouldn't they want a new stadium? Maybe they don't want a long term lease tying the team to Buffalo, potentially driving down the sale price on the open market? Or maybe that waterfront stadium group didn't really have the chops to get such a project done and the Bills knew it? The Bills were certainly more welcoming of Cuomo's committee.

PTR

I know people disagree with me, but IMO those outdoor December games sell out present day if the team is competitive and the ticket market/resale market structured the way it is. I have Season Tickets and I dont show up to December games, not because the weather, it is because I dont want to invest (another) entire day in a meaningless game in this seemingly endless cycle.

History says no. To me the whole romance around an open stadium in frigid weather is a myth. No one really wants to freeze for 3 hours. I'm convinced if the Bills had a dome those December games would sell out even without a playoff team.

That was a curious reaction from the Bills. Why wouldn't they want a new stadium? Maybe they don't want a long term lease tying the team to Buffalo, potentially driving down the sale price on the open market? Or maybe that waterfront stadium group didn't really have the chops to get such a project done and the Bills knew it? The Bills were certainly more welcoming of Cuomo's committee.

PTR

History says no. To me the whole romance around an open stadium in frigid weather is a myth. No one really wants to freeze for 3 hours. I'm convinced if the Bills had a dome those December games would sell out even without a playoff team.

There are a lot of wimps, no doubt..........However, your notion that the Super Bowl teams didn't sell out late games is wrong. I just looked it up.

The only two games those four years that don't look like sellouts are this one:

December 12, 1992 Denver Broncos Rich Stadium W 27–17 10–4

And, the 12/26/93 game against the Jets that was one of the coldest games in history. 2nd coldest here and at the time, THE coldest. It was unreal............And, they still got 70K there. I'd be willing to bet it was sold out if that many showed up on that Arctic day.

There are a lot of wimps, no doubt..........However, your notion that the Super Bowl teams didn't sell out late games is wrong. I just looked it up.

The only two games those four years that don't look like sellouts are this one:

December 12, 1992 Denver Broncos Rich Stadium W 27–17 10–4

And, the 12/26/93 game against the Jets that was one of the coldest games in history. 2nd coldest here and at the time, THE coldest. It was unreal............And, they still got 70K there. I'd be willing to bet it was sold out if that many showed up on that Arctic day.

I'm an old fart so I lived through those days. Getting the TV station, or a local business or Ralph himself to buy the last couple thousand seats was a common occurence. Even in the playoffs. (The famous comeback game against Houston was blacked out, though mainly not for weather reasons.) If the Bills ever do get a new stadium it should definitely be smaller, like 65K.

PTR

We will continue to disagree on this, but Ill say it again. Event Tickets are a completely different animal than they were 20 years ago. Also, there was no regionalization.

All the Bills need to do is have 1 good season, maybe 2. Resale values will go way up. The few fast starts in recent years, many people contact me asking about tickets. I look on stubhub and the prices are more than double face value. You talk about a December game for the Division vs New England and a home playoff game, those tickets will fly and be a tough ticket to get. Especially with internet sales (and resales).

The following season people will overflow the demand for season tickets. fans, brokers, and fans who want to be part time brokers. There will be a waiting list and even a few bad seasons can sustain because people do not want to lose their spot for when they are good.

The Sabres are a perfect example of this and I have seen it happen elsewhere in sports (Phillies). The Sabres couldnt sell 14000 seats in the the 16000 seat aud in your "Superbowl" time period (92-93) with the most exciting team in the league as well as team history. New arena was lukewarm once the honeymoon period passed... then completely hit the wall in the early 00's. Once a few good teams came out in the internet/resale age, they are sold out into perpetuity.

Also, dont underestimate the "dark cloud" that the current ownership situation and uncertainty brings around the team. If there is a new local owner with the right attitude it will spring a hell of a lot of excitement

Edited by May Day 10

I'm an old fart so I lived through those days. Getting the TV station, or a local business or Ralph himself to buy the last couple thousand seats was a common occurence. Even in the playoffs. (The famous comeback game against Houston was blacked out, though mainly not for weather reasons.) If the Bills ever do get a new stadium it should definitely be smaller, like 65K.

PTR

You name the games then. I looked them up.

I lived through those years, too, I would say since we're on our 29th year of having season tickets, and I'll be on my 43rd straight year of going to at least one game a year. (Obviously way more than one the last 29 years, and most years before that).

May Day obviously knows how tickets work. He's spot on.

So much has to do with anticipation, as a team is getting better, etc.

You name the games then. I looked them up.

I lived through those years, too, I would say since we're on our 29th year of having season tickets, and I'll be on my 43rd straight year of going to at least one game a year. (Obviously way more than one the last 29 years, and most years before that).

May Day obviously knows how tickets work. He's spot on.

So much has to do with anticipation, as a team is getting better, etc.

Pretty much every playoff game after the first SB year and most December games had the specter of a blackout hanging over them. Most of the time someone stepped up and bought the remaining tickets, usually Ch.2 back when NBC was the AFC network, because they lost more in advertising if the game was blacked out.

But here is the perfect solution for funding a new stadium....legalize recreational pot in Erie County! Make a huge weed tax and put it all toward a new stadium. We can call it "Blunts for the Bills" or "Fatties for Football" or "Spark up for a Stadium." :D

PTR

I hope we can get a dome. Yeah I know, Buffalo Bills fans don't need a "steeking dome" cause we're tough, but maybe it would bring

us a chance to have more families go to games, and maybe we might attract a super bowl to Buffalo?

Super Bowl? Not enough hotel rooms in WNY.

Pretty much every playoff game after the first SB year and most December games had the specter of a blackout hanging over them. Most of the time someone stepped up and bought the remaining tickets, usually Ch.2 back when NBC was the AFC network, because they lost more in advertising if the game was blacked out.

But here is the perfect solution for funding a new stadium....legalize recreational pot in Erie County! Make a huge weed tax and put it all toward a new stadium. We can call it "Blunts for the Bills" or "Fatties for Football" or "Spark up for a Stadium." :D

PTR

I can tell you the playoff games we had. 1991 - Chiefs game. I remember no threat of a blackout. Broncos - ditto.

1992 - Oilers - why didn't anybody come to the rescue if this always happened? We still were 75K or more strong

1993 - Raiders - I know there were only 60K in the stands, and I doubt it was soldout, due to the coldest, life threatening game in Bills history. Chiefs - I doubt that was in any danger of not being soldout

1995 - Shula's last game. My memory is a totally full stadium

1996 - Kelly's last game. Ditto

So tell me why does WNY have to build a billion dollar stadium ? Pittsburgh built Hines field for 281 million in 2002. Prices have increased a little since then.But not 25% .It seats 65,000. I think some fans want all the bells and whistles ,when all we need to do is play a football game. I guess Pitt fans are a little more into the game,than a overpriced shopping mall.

What needs to happen is to get some giant corporate bank, that needs to invest some of their capital gains funding into a stadium. Or how about this "Exxon Mobil stadium" the new home of the Buffalo Bills. They must have oodles and oodles of slush fund money hanging around.

Any new stadium needs to not only be a best fit for the Bills, but also be able to host other large attendance events, be it a Super Bowl, NCAA Final Four, Rock Concerts (remember these at Rich Stadium in the 70's), college football (UB vs Syracuse?). To me this calls or a retractable dome (OK - we'll open it in December if Miami is scheduled).

Edited by DFITZ1

Any new stadium needs to not only be a best fit for the Bills, but also be able to host other large attendance events, be it a Super Bowl, NCAA Final Four, Rock Concerts (remember these at Rich Stadium in the 70's), college football (UB vs Syracuse?). To me this calls or a retractable dome (OK - we'll open it in December if Miami is scheduled).

We're not getting the first two..........Bands aren't big enough any more to warrant many stadium concerts..........UB vs. Syracuse would get about 30K.

Here's is today's lead article in the Buffalo News. I personally like the 3rd option - retrofitting the stadium, like Soldier Field and Lambeau.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/can-buffalo-afford-a-new-stadium-for-bills-20140215

We're not getting the first two..........Bands aren't big enough any more to warrant many stadium concerts..........UB vs. Syracuse would get about 30K.

Here's is today's lead article in the Buffalo News. I personally like the 3rd option - retrofitting the stadium, like Soldier Field and Lambeau.

http://www.buffalone...-bills-20140215

Whatever happen to this plan and they even identified some revenue sources...Its like this was never proposed !

http://www.buffalone.../121029746/1109

The Ralph needs to be demolished not rehabbed (may be used as a practice facility)...Can we stop settling for a chance! We need something that's going to be multi use & a draw for other activities. Partnering with the Strong Group and attaching a convention center to attract major conferences (i.e. Ga. Dome & conference center) during our spring & summer months will fill a void in the dormant periods. It's time for this region to come to grips or get off the pot...Major sports want sexy & vibrant Cities NOT ho-hum & boring!!! After a game the region needs to project an image to outsiders that the region is on the upswing, think Indy, KC, Pitts & Minny these stadiums are surrounded by the city most vibrant attractions...NOT in the middle of no where, how does that project on TV, to others or future FA's?

This is how the spin cycle in this area kills all creative ideas by sticking with the same ole thing (how's that working out for us?)!!! By brainwashing all to think that we can't...so we don't! Come on haven't we settled enough with the substandard & mediocre ? What's to gain by dreaming "small"? This is the big leagues NOT club sports.

Edited by pimp 2

Whatever happen to this plan and they even identified some revenue sources...Its like this was never proposed !

http://www.buffalone.../121029746/1109

The Ralph needs to be demolished not rehabbed (may be used as a practice facility)...Can we stop settling for a chance! We need something that's going to be multi use & a draw for other activities. Partnering with the Strong Group and attaching a convention center to attract major conferences (i.e. Ga. Dome & conference center) during our spring & summer months will fill a void in the dormant periods. It's time for this region to come to grips or get off the pot...Major sports want sexy & vibrant Cities NOT ho-hum & boring!!! After a game the region needs to project an image to outsiders that the region is on the upswing, think Indy, KC, Pitts & Minny these stadiums are surrounded by the city most vibrant attractions...NOT in the middle of no where, how does that project on TV, to others or future FA's?

This is how the spin cycle in this area kills all creative ideas by sticking with the same ole thing (how's that working out for us?)!!! By brainwashing all to think that we can't...so we don't! Come on haven't we settled enough with the substandard & mediocre ? What's to gain by dreaming "small"? This is the big leagues NOT club sports.

So are you up for PSL's?

I find it hilarious that in a situation where a large amount of government money and planning will be needed that some people are complaining so vehemently about government involvement.

On that topic of planning I'll throw out that one large cost component is the utilities (water, sewer, drainage, electricity, etc.) infrastructure that such large structures require. If the stadium is going to be open air, then I think plopping it down next to the current one is the way to go. The land is readily available and the infrastructure is in place (assuming it isn't in need of replacement soon). Parking would suck for a year, but that's a relatively small short term issue IMO.

A retractable or permanent dome would make a waterfront stadium more plausible. 8 Sundays a year doesn't bring much to a waterfront, but if a large venue could bring more use then that needs exploring. I'm not sure that it would be worth it, but it might be.

I don't see the Ralph getting renovated cost effectively. Eventually stadiums run their course and piecemeal work ends up costing more than a tear down and rebuild. The Ralph is pretty far gone. I went for the first time this past preseason and I was surprised at how run down it looked, especially for a stadium that was new enough to be obstruction free. The lack of premium boxes and seats is certainly a nonstarter as well. That revenue stream is a must in today's NFL.

PSLs seem to be the way it is, too. If you want a team then you need a quality stadium. If you want a quality stadium then you're probably going to wind up with PSLs. Rare exceptions to those rules are just that - rare exceptions.

I find it hilarious that in a situation where a large amount of government money and planning will be needed that some people are complaining so vehemently about government involvement.

On that topic of planning I'll throw out that one large cost component is the utilities (water, sewer, drainage, electricity, etc.) infrastructure that such large structures require. If the stadium is going to be open air, then I think plopping it down next to the current one is the way to go. The land is readily available and the infrastructure is in place (assuming it isn't in need of replacement soon). Parking would suck for a year, but that's a relatively small short term issue IMO.

A retractable or permanent dome would make a waterfront stadium more plausible. 8 Sundays a year doesn't bring much to a waterfront, but if a large venue could bring more use then that needs exploring. I'm not sure that it would be worth it, but it might be.

I don't see the Ralph getting renovated cost effectively. Eventually stadiums run their course and piecemeal work ends up costing more than a tear down and rebuild. The Ralph is pretty far gone. I went for the first time this past preseason and I was surprised at how run down it looked, especially for a stadium that was new enough to be obstruction free. The lack of premium boxes and seats is certainly a nonstarter as well. That revenue stream is a must in today's NFL.

PSLs seem to be the way it is, too. If you want a team then you need a quality stadium. If you want a quality stadium then you're probably going to wind up with PSLs. Rare exceptions to those rules are just that - rare exceptions.

How exactly is the stadium run down?

Lack of premium boxes and suites? Really, even after the new dugout suites were installed all around the stadium? I think if you ask the sales department, they'll tell you there are more than enough suites and premium seating to more than satisfy the demand. The Buffalo market simply doesn't have the corporate community to warrant more suites.

http://www.buffalone...-bills-20140215

i am in agreement .. best tailgating.. if it worked in green bay it will work here.. the idea of hosting a super bowl because we get a new stadium is unrealistic or any other uses that a multi-purpose stadium would bring.. the ralph is fine and will be fine... Edited by dwight in philly

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/16/bills-stadium-committee-could-be-advance-political-cover/

What better way to commence the process of covering keisters than to form a committee that will spend the next few years spinning its wheels on the potential but fiscally impractical construction of a new stadium the franchise doesn’t want?

And then there's the school of thought that Cuomo's appointments and the formation of a "committee" is just a CYA move for when the Bills are sold and move out of the area. At that point the governmental entities can point with pride at the "committee" and attendant chatter to "prove" they did all they could to keep the Bills in WNY.

And then there's the school of thought that Cuomo's appointments and the formation of a "committee" is just a CYA move for when the Bills are sold and move out of the area. At that point the governmental entities can point with pride at the "committee" and attendant chatter to "prove" they did all they could to keep the Bills in WNY.

And if they did nothing and the Bills moved people would complain that they should have acted sooner to look at alternatives. I'll side with doing something.

That pft article is somewhat of a stretch. While it may be true that the forming of the committee is a CYA move, one third of the committee is appointed by the Bills, and the formation of the committee was negotiated by the county, the state, and the Bills as a part of the lease.

So, 1. Once the Bills appoint their committee members, there will be more talk of refurbishing the stadium and/or projects that the Bills themselves would support, and 2. Florio and others are forgetting that as a practical matter, it is in poor taste for the Bills to comment publicly on Mr. Wilson's demise and the subsequent sale of team except when absolutely necessary.

Behind the scenes, the Bills may be more willing to explore the prospect of moving to a new stadium in the area, however publicly discussing prospective future sites undermines the fact that the Bills have already used hundreds of millions of dollars on the Ralph. When trying to get people to buy tickets in 2014, they certainly don't want to allude to their stadium being a dump without a concrete plan for a new stadium on the horizon.

Edited by uncle flap

This is a curious quote from the Florio article...

If the powers-that-be were serious about finding a way to keep the Bills in Buffalo, they’d be working to come up with the kind of solution the team prefers, instead of plotting to build a stadium the team doesn't want.

The funny thing is Florio never says what "kind of solution the team prefers?" What is that solution? Turning Buffalo into Los Angeles? If you are going to throw around insinuations at least provide something that anchors your argument.

PTR

This all seems like much ado about nothing to me.

There is no way NYS is going to fund a new stadium in Buffalo, even partially.

There is no way Buffalo can afford it even if it was a good idea.

The NFL certainly not going to fund it without assurance of a payback in a timely manner, which they could never get.

The Ralph is going to have to do until either Buffalo turns into a major market or the Bills leave Buffalo.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/can-buffalo-afford-a-new-stadium-for-bills-20140215

I know not much will happen on this front until we have a new owner; but it's important that we keep articles like this on the forefront and post comments on these articles in support of the Bills. Always seems like the naysayers come out in droves on the Buffalo News...

Just my two cents...

This is a curious quote from the Florio article...

[/size]

The funny thing is Florio never says what "kind of solution the team prefers?" What is that solution? Turning Buffalo into Los Angeles? If you are going to throw around insinuations at least provide something that anchors your argument.

PTR

That statement by Florio simply proves his ignorance of the situation. The announced committee is part of the negotiated agreement on the new lease and will include representatives of the Bills. Had he bothered to do any homework, he could have easily found that out. Pretty typical for Florio.

That pft article is somewhat of a stretch. While it may be true that the forming of the committee is a CYA move, one third of the committee is appointed by the Bills, and the formation of the committee was negotiated by the county, the state, and the Bills as a part of the lease.

So, 1. Once the Bills appoint their committee members, there will be more talk of refurbishing the stadium and/or projects that the Bills themselves would support, and 2. Florio and others are forgetting that as a practical matter, it is in poor taste for the Bills to comment publicly on Mr. Wilson's demise and the subsequent sale of team except when absolutely necessary.

Behind the scenes, the Bills may be more willing to explore the prospect of moving to a new stadium in the area, however publicly discussing prospective future sites undermines the fact that the Bills have already used hundreds of millions of dollars on the Ralph. When trying to get people to buy tickets in 2014, they certainly don't want to allude to their stadium being a dump without a concrete plan for a new stadium on the horizon.

It's not a credible CYA unless you get all parties involved and stir up a whole lot of what-if good stuff.

And if they did nothing and the Bills moved people would complain that they should have acted sooner to look at alternatives. I'll side with doing something.

Oh, they'll do something; in fact, they'll do a lot of somethings, but if needed in the eleventh hour it'll be CYA as sure as kiss a duck.

Nothing the pols can do to keep them in Buffalo, anyway. Nothing to cover their asses for as a result. Bills have asked for renovations vs. a new stadium and the pols are making that happen.

The feasibility committee is for the sake of a new owner that might insist on a new stadium as a condition for staying. That's not so much CYA as is it having foresight.

GO BILLS!!!

Nothing the pols can do to keep them in Buffalo, anyway. Nothing to cover their asses for as a result. Bills have asked for renovations vs. a new stadium and the pols are making that happen.

The feasibility committee is for the sake of a new owner that might insist on a new stadium as a condition for staying. That's not so much CYA as is it having foresight.

GO BILLS!!!

I just got this pitchfork all nice and polished, though.

From bbb - "First two will never happen (SB or NCAA Championship)...

What makes you believe that the first two are impossible with a new domed stadium? Super Bowls have been held in Detroit (twice) and Minneapolis, not to mention Indianapolis. For the NCAA Championship, a large venue could attract the Final Four and Buffalo has demonstrated success with the first 4 rounds. I never said either was a slam dunk, but with effective planning, I can happen. Good thing Ralph Wilson didn't think nothing could happen here some 50+ years ago.

Edited by DFITZ1