Jonathan Martin

johnwalter

215 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see 1BD acquire Jonathan Martin for the 2014 season?

• Yes, he is a good but inexpensive player that can fill a hole on the Bills roster.
    • No, the Bills have a strong locker room and Martin would put the team's chemistry at risk.

I agree with a lot of what you said. I think Sam will be fine if he plays football and doesn't try and make his being gay some sort of platform. The media will get in the way, but there is a way to handle it. The report mentioned Sam in the context of ensuring the NFL locker room was a suitable environment.

I think that Sam will have a much easlier time integrating into a locker room than JM. No one doubts his maturity. Guys won't fully trust Martin, who has made adult bullying his platform.

Edited by Mr. WEO

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't it Incognito who blew up on Twitter?

yup - going to edit the flub.

Nothing in that report leadds me to believe anything is different in today's NFL locker room than those of a generation ago. Yet now, suddenly, it has become "a story".

the worlds always changing. That the nfl locker room hasnt kept up, makes it noteworthy.

plenty of nonstories in the 70s are stories today, just like the nonstorys of the 50s were stories of the 70s.

I think plenty of men in the Dolphins organization lost their jobs this morning with the release of this report.

The Dolphins as a corporation lost control of said organization and people get fired for that. While Incognito and Martin are surely discarded, I wouldn't be surprised to see the entire coaching staff, Philbin included, cut, at this juncture. No matter the timing, the NFL will demand action.

nothing said in the report was new except for the conclusion. i still think that martin is coming off like a crybaby. sure he'll get another job, probably cut during preseason. the guy is a circus and locker room cancer. no one will know if they bump him too hard in practice if he will literally go and cry to his mother. makes it tough to want a guy like that on your team. but it will probably all get buried because of that sam kid

The Deadspin story is incredible. What Incognito said to Pouncey and to others about all of this stuff is inexcusable. I'm not easy to shock, but his wretched behavior - joking banter about shooting black people for fun, grossly physical sexual harrassment of another player, taunting an Asian trainer with blatantly racist banter, the language of the high security prison with regard to Martin's departure ("Snitches get stitches Blood in blood out F**king guy Pouncey: He's dead to me"), and the gall to send a bunch of texts immediately after the fact to make himself look good - is reprehensible. I don't wish him success in life.

There is lots of criticism of Martin here, much of it along the lines of "a plague on both their houses." I'm sorry -- that's just not right. While Martin may not be a good player, ask yourself: should anyone have to work in an environment like that? For chrissake, a job in the NFL isn't supposed to be like serving time at Corcoran state prison in CA.

Edited by dave mcbride

The Deadspin story is incredible. What Incognito said to Pouncey and to others about all of this stuff is inexcusable. I'm not easy to shock, but his wretched behavior - joking banter about shooting black people for fun, grossly physical sexual harrassment of another player, taunting an Asian trainer with blatantly racist banter, the language of the high security prison with regard to Martin's departure ("Snitches get stitches Blood in blood out F**king guy Pouncey: He's dead to me"), and the gall to send a bunch of texts immediately after the fact to make himself look good - is reprehensible. I don't wish him success in life.

There is lots of criticism of Martin here, much of it along the lines of "a plague on both their houses." I'm sorry -- that's just not right. While Martin may not be a good player, ask yourself: should anyone have to work in an environment like that? For chrissake, a job in the NFL isn't supposed to be like serving time at Corcoran state prison in CA.

RI is a major jerk and much of it is inexcusable, and JM has serious issues of a different variety that have apparently long been with him too. bad situation all around.

Richie incognito is a piece of chit.

jonathan martin is a hero.

the Miami dolphins will pay dearly for ignoring workplace harassment.

You aren't paying attention. Martin is mentally weak for not physically fighting a known crazy person like RI.

So many tough guys on the internet. Martin was raised by a good family & taught to be respectful. Yet somehow, some folks are blaming for him for leaving a toxic situation. I wonder how you'd feel if this happened to your kids.

I played football through college. Def inappropriate jokes & ball busting was part of the lockerroom. But there are very few POS like Pouncey & RI. They're the problem.

The Bills bring in garbage players to try out all the time, why not just bring him in for a shot during training camp. Doesn't hurt anything, if he proves to be weak-minded or whatever, cut him. If he turns out to be a good player, fantastic.

You aren't paying attention. Martin is mentally weak for not physically fighting a known crazy person like RI.

So many tough guys on the internet. Martin was raised by a good family & taught to be respectful. Yet somehow, some folks are blaming for him for leaving a toxic situation. I wonder how you'd feel if this happened to your kids.

I played football through college. Def inappropriate jokes & ball busting was part of the lockerroom. But there are very few POS like Pouncey & RI. They're the problem.

yep.

Assuming he has options, which is no safe bet, I doubt he'd want to play in the same division as Miami.

He seems like a nice guy and he's got talent. Why wouldn't you want him on your team? The things he dealt with were way over the top. I doubt its that bad in a locker room with Fred Jackson and Kyle Williams as your team leaders.

What I find most interesting in all this is the peek into the mental makeup of TBD posters. No surprise that most are sane and rational, but it is kind of depressing that there are still such a number of antediluvian types roaming the savannahs of WNY. I mean, the "locker rooms are for real men not pussys" attitude, the "if you can't take racism, psychotic threats and extortion, it's because the world is too damned PC," and the classic "they're making a big deal out of nothing but some good ol' boys having fun." Whoa!

Repectful? Go back and read some of JM's texts.

Also, when I was Martin's age, I was making 7 bucks an hour as a college grad, paying rent in a hovel with 2 other guys and saving up for applying for my next level of education. No matter how bad a big bully at work may have been, never in a million years would it occur to me (at 24, a grown man) to call my father about my workplace issues so that he may intervene. I'm sure my experience is the same as that of many here.

It's just hard for me to summon much outrage over a guy who gets paid millions to play a game who is asking us to validate his arrested maturity. Just entertain us with the football fellas. Your personal lives aren't as compelling as the game you play.

Edited by Mr. WEO

What I find most interesting in all this is the peek into the mental makeup of TBD posters. No surprise that most are sane and rational, but it is kind of depressing that there are still such a number of antediluvian types roaming the savannahs of WNY. I mean, the "locker rooms are for real men not pussys" attitude, the "if you can't take racism, psychotic threats and extortion, it's because the world is too damned PC," and the classic "they're making a big deal out of nothing but some good ol' boys having fun." Whoa!

Richie Incognito is not the first bully to be on an NFL team. He's also, very likely, not the worst bully ever. He wasn't stalking Martin at his car, or cutting up squirrels and leaving them nailed to his door. He was teasing him. Teasing him. How many times has someone told you they were going to "kill you?" Did you call your dad and quit your job?

In a perfect world, no one would have to deal with that. Unfortunately, this isn't a perfect world and so I don't believe Martin is equipped to deal with it.

Edited by FireChan

Link, or proof? I'd like to know how it is known that he is a crazy person? Maybe an !@#$ and a prick, but that doesn't mean he's crazy. He's got 50 lbs. on me probably and I'd take him on.

I guess I am one of the internet tough guys to think I wouldn't have tolerated anyone, myself or my kids being treated this way. If my kid sent me a message saying he was being bullied I'd reply the first few times saying the "there, there, son, come on, it's ok, just know you're better then that, turn the other cheek and smile." After the third or fourth I'd tell him to knock the dudes :censored: in the dirt.

Not every college locker room is the same and on many different levels it is approached entirely differently. Star athletes get a whole different level of treatment. DIII athletes who just are roster fodder, even if starting, can be treated well but not cared about. D1 is not much different. There are the top 30 or so players, then there are the top 3 or 4, then there is everyone else. It's free game there and just like a high school girls volleyball team. Clicks, drama and individuality. Some kids like Sci-Fi and The Hobbit. Others Jay-Z and Kung-Fu.

Saying the environment is toxic and blaming Incognito without blaming Martin is a cheap way to throw stones at the entire ugly mess. Both are idiots, one is labeled weak and one is labeled an !@#$. But, both are weak, both are !@#$s and both are idiots.

And, I would challenge any of them to a fight. I am the toughest dude on the internet, former Navy SEAL, I was top of my class. I am the countries number 1 sharpshooter and right now I have a network of secret agents at my disposal ready to do my dirty work. So, challenge me any of you...I'll bring a world of hurt down.

:nana: