Jonathan Martin

johnwalter

215 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see 1BD acquire Jonathan Martin for the 2014 season?

• Yes, he is a good but inexpensive player that can fill a hole on the Bills roster.
    • No, the Bills have a strong locker room and Martin would put the team's chemistry at risk.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard a segment on this from the CBS Sports afternoon radio host. Based on what he said about the investigation that was just concluded, it sounds like Johnathan Martin has psychological issues that go beyond football. It sounds to me like he's been ambivalent about persuing a career in football for quite a while. It's tough enough for a player to be constantly questioning himself under the stress of playing anyway, but to add in the bizarre locker room situation in Miami would make it impossible.

He's too unsure of himself to function in the NFL.

Edited by gobillsinytown

Richie incognito is a piece of chit.

jonathan martin is a hero.

the Miami dolphins will pay dearly for ignoring workplace harassment.

I think Richie gets a lengthy suspension.

I think Martin goes to San Fran.

I think the Dolphins get a hefty fine, loss of a draft pick, fire the O-line position coach and probably get sued by Martin AND Richie.

I think Richie gets a lengthy suspension.

I think Martin goes to San Fran.

I think the Dolphins get a hefty fine, loss of a draft pick, fire the O-line position coach and probably get sued by Martin AND Richie.

I think most of that is on target, though I can't see the Phins losing a pick. I also think that rather than suspension, Incognito has probably just gotten himself blackballed. I could see him ending up with the Raiders, but I think it more likely that the league will look to prevent that.

If the league can sweep this whole fiasco under the rug it will. The "soft" suspension of making it impossible for Incognito to find work will do just that.

Frankly, he deserves it. If all reports prior were that Incognito was a model citizen, that'd be one thing. He has a record of wearing out his welcome just about everywhere he has been. With the Bills it seems he left in a neutral position, but the fact that they didn't keep him... cheaply and with control at that... speaks volumes.

Ill bet you the Patriots select one of them and turn them around, or at least get them to do things the Patriot way.

Richie sounds like a Raiders thowback ftom the 70's

Lyle Alzado.

I knew Lyle and he was a hell of a decent guy, a good father and without a trace of the Richie I A-Hole gene. He was rather beastly on the field though.

Jim Turner likely won't be with the Dolphins much longer

Apart from reaching the attention-grabbing conclusion that Turner gave former Dolphins offensive lineman Andrew McDonald a male blow-up doll as participation in the running joke that McDonald was gay, the report rejects on multiple occasions the truthfulness of information supplied by Turner during meetings with investigators.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/16/jim-turner-likely-wont-be-with-the-dolphins-much-longer/

Edited by papazoid

I suspect the Dolphins will clean house and the parties named in the report won't be with the team next season. JJ and RI are easy ones since they are FA's. I think they'll release (or trade) Pouncey and get rid of Turner and the head trainer. It's a low risk, high reward strategy for the organization and the right thing to do longer term for the football team.

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

Nothing in that report leadds me to believe anything is different in today's NFL locker room than those of a generation ago. Yet now, suddenly, it has become "a story".

To think that professionals should be subjected to harassment off the field and by their own teammates is sad. Saying that is the way it always has been, and must be is even sadder.

Check out this article by a former player and a class act about his experiences with a winning organization and a great coach a generation ago..

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10458607/lose-crucial-parts-code-nfl-locker-rooms

To think that professionals should be subjected to harassment off the field and by their own teammates is sad. Saying that is the way it always has been, and must be is even sadder.

Check out this article by a former player and a class act about his experiences with a winning organization and a great coach a generation ago..

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10458607/lose-crucial-parts-code-nfl-locker-rooms

a lot of these guys are ones that are already in and looking at it from the top. Someone like Warner, Gannon, Schlerith and many of the guys talking about the happy and positive locker room attributes in winning organizations probably do not see the down side of what is happening and the lower end of the spectrum.

A good example of this is Barrett or whoever the guy was that went AWOL before the Raiders Super Bowl. If Gannon was such an angel on such a caring team why was this guy treated so poorly and ostracized from his team going thru such a rough time being bi polar?

The NFL is a business like no other. Its just the way it is that these guys act the way they do. Its not for the better. It is for the worse. But it is the way it is

I suspect the Dolphins will clean house and the parties named in the report won't be with the team next season. JJ and RI are easy ones since they are FA's. I think they'll release (or trade) Pouncey and get rid of Turner and the head trainer. It's a low risk, high reward strategy for the organization and the right thing to do longer term for the football team.

With his ties to the hernandez stuff too, and possible gun charges - itll be interesting how pouncey gets handled.

if the last few years are any indication, swift and severe punishments?

but for who? Should Martin be penalized? In my opinion yes because he abandoned his team, partook in the mess and is guilty as well. So if you punish Martin then why would the next "victim" want to come forward?

Look at the Bills with Wood and Maybin. Maybin could have had a case against Wood for bullying by all accounts we heard. But, Maybin brought it on himself being a loudmouth flamboyant kid. Doesn't mean he deserved it but he did get what was coming.

Look at Richard Sherman. He should be punished. He was out of line.

I agree swift punishment would make a big impact. But how would it be fair? How would it be doled out? The locker room mentality of keep it in the locker room, be true to your team and don't snitch is not going to be easy to break. All the training in the world for veterans won't matter when they've been coddled by a society that worships them. Put dozens of men together with a few that have a diva mentality and you'll get some volatile mixes.

Something needs to be addressed but its not fixing it that I think of as the solution. It is not something you fix. You either flat out shut it down and stop it - something I am not sure is possible. Or you work within it to lessen it and bring awareness to the issues by using communication and education. Basically tell the teams and players if they want to do that **** they better be prepared to do a bunch of sprints and pay a lot of money.

but for who? Should Martin be penalized? In my opinion yes because he abandoned his team, partook in the mess and is guilty as well. So if you punish Martin then why would the next "victim" want to come forward?

Look at the Bills with Wood and Maybin. Maybin could have had a case against Wood for bullying by all accounts we heard. But, Maybin brought it on himself being a loudmouth flamboyant kid. Doesn't mean he deserved it but he did get what was coming.

Look at Richard Sherman. He should be punished. He was out of line.

I agree swift punishment would make a big impact. But how would it be fair? How would it be doled out? The locker room mentality of keep it in the locker room, be true to your team and don't snitch is not going to be easy to break. All the training in the world for veterans won't matter when they've been coddled by a society that worships them. Put dozens of men together with a few that have a diva mentality and you'll get some volatile mixes.

Something needs to be addressed but its not fixing it that I think of as the solution. It is not something you fix. You either flat out shut it down and stop it - something I am not sure is possible. Or you work within it to lessen it and bring awareness to the issues by using communication and education. Basically tell the teams and players if they want to do that **** they better be prepared to do a bunch of sprints and pay a lot of money.

realistically, the dolphins will probably pay a steep fine, turner will see a suspension possibly (heck we saw what hargrove got for "lying to investigators"), Incognito will probably end up with some variety of time served figuring he will not be back, JJ who knows and then pouncey has FAR more serious stuff hanging over his head. that you group martins walking out with his own inappropriate texts is a strange one to me.

as far as future prevention, i think youll see a lot of memos, and seminars and pushing the coaches. just like all kinds of other professions have gone through changes - it wont be culture change by flipping a light switch, but by process.

Edited by NoSaint

Just because it isn't easy doen't mean it isn't worth doing. Culture change takes time, it takes effort, it takes patience and it takes education of the next generation of NFL footballers. But the NFL has to try. Because simply saying "oh Martin was just a mental weakling who has no place in the NFL" is doing nothing to prevent such a situation occuring in the future.

there will ALWAYS be some sort of rookie hazing.....hey rook sing your schools song standing on that chair, hey rook go get us some water, hey rook here is your voucher to pick up your free turkey (bogus), getting stuck paying for a dinner tab etc.....

Jonathan Martin played along for his rookie season......things went horribly south when wacko Richie decided martin was still to be treated as a rookie during his second season and escalated the hazing to harassment. martin couldn't really complain to the player leaders cause Richie was the head of that. martin couldn't complain to his position coach cause that guy was passing out male and female sex dolls to who he thought needed which sex. Martins agent complained to the GM and was told by the GM that Martin should punch Richie in the face.

in spite of whatever emotional struggles Martin is dealing with, he handled this situation as well as can be expected. he removed himself from an unteanable situation and filed a complaint with a higher authority.

Edited by papazoid

there will ALWAYS be some sort of rookie hazing.....hey rook sing your schools song standing on that chair, hey rook go get us some water, hey rook here is your voucher to pick up your free turkey (bogus), getting stuck paying for a dinner tab etc.....

Jonathan Martin played along for his rookie season......things went horribly south when wacko Richie decided martin was still to be treated as a rookie during his second season and escalated the hazing to harassment. martin couldn't really complain to the player leaders cause Richie was the head of that. martin couldn't complain to his position coach cause that guy was passing out male and female sex dolls to who he thought needed which sex. Martins agent complained to the GM and was told by the GM that Martin should punch Richie in the face.

in spite of whatever emotional struggles Martin is dealing with, he handled this situation as well as can be expected. he removed himself from an unteanable situation.

a piece that makes it especially bad on the NFL side is that hes a drafted player with no choice where he ends up for several years.

Edited by NoSaint