Phillip Seymour Hoffman dead of drug overdose

The Poojer

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heroin is really making a comeback, supposedly. Seems crazy, as I don't know how people can get used to the needles (though I suppose you can snort it too).

Interesting read on thie topic is Michael Massing's "The Fix"-- shows how the Nixon administration basically figured out a way to wipe out heroin use-- through methadone treatment. Flies in the face of the theory that you need to address the causes of drug use, as improved treatment was the answer.

It's been on a comeback for awhile. My brother says a lot of kids back in the small town in WNY where I grew up are doing it. There have even been some overdoses. And I"m pretty sure they're snorting it.

We did some crazy **** when I was a kid in the 70's but heroin was never an option.

Edited by Chef Jim

It's been on a comeback for awhile. My brother says a lot of kids back in the small town in WNY where I grew up are doing it. There have even been some overdoses. And I"m pretty sure they're snorting it.

We did some crazy **** when I was a kid in the 70's but heroin was never an option.

Bahhhh bahhhhhh Moooo moooooo

Bahhhh bahhhhhh Moooo moooooo

A lot of cows are now into it.

The main thing that is going on is that people, young and old, are getting hooked on prescription painkillers, but when they can't get any more Rxs, they turn to the streets and heroin is much cheaper than the pills, and it's all about being an opiate.

A lot of cows are now into it.

The main thing that is going on is that people, young and old, are getting hooked on prescription painkillers, but when they can't get any more Rxs, they turn to the streets and heroin is much cheaper than the pills, and it's all about being an opiate.

My brother just had rotator cuff surgery and they gave him 10 days worth of painkillers which he really only needed for 3 or 4 days at the most and just to sleep. They gave him 60 pills. WTF?!?!?

After not long, heroin isn't a choice. That crap owns your soul. There is no escape or recovery. Only the strongest are able to control their past. I'm sure psh would have loved to a man be free.

It isn't something that people can wake up and decide not to do. It isn't like refusing a donut.

I had acl reconstruction and I had lortabs. I had to consciously stop. I really wanted my last ones and I was not really in much pain any longer. It was strange.

Edited by May Day 10

My brother just had rotator cuff surgery and they gave him 10 days worth of painkillers which he really only needed for 3 or 4 days at the most and just to sleep. They gave him 60 pills. WTF?!?!?

a few years back I broke my ankle and has surgery on it 3 days later. they prescribed me 30 vicodin after i broke it, and 100 percocet after the surgery. I think I took 6 pills total.

a few years back I broke my ankle and has surgery on it 3 days later. they prescribed me 30 vicodin after i broke it, and 100 percocet after the surgery. I think I took 6 pills total.

I had my wisdom teeth pulled many years ago. The guy I worked for said "whatever they prescribe as far as dosage....double it!" So I did. Went back to work after three days and couldn't figure out why I couldn't function. Oh yeah, I had taken 15 percocet the past three days. :wacko:

Great actor and, by all accounts, a great guy.

I am so happy that I never even thought about trying heroine. Based on the little I know about it, it is very easy to become addicted, and it controls your life very quickly.

I am sure that he had no desire to leave his kids and family like this. The whole thing is very tragic.

Sorry but you all know me so I have to say it.......dumbass.

I agree ... Maybe in part because I an not so convinced of his talent...

Edit: yes, i am taking liberties as a mod to post in a locked thread - after taking time to read through this thread I wish to offer a sincere apology to NG and others who in some way have been impacted by addiction. My statement above was reactionary and in retrospect was inappropriate.

Heroin is making a comeback because doctors hand it out in pill form like it's candy. They get people hooked on pain meds, and then the addicts realize they can get the same fix for $10 instead of spending $300 on a single pill.

The only solution is legalization and regulation. People have been doing opiates since before the Roman empire. If anyone thinks they can even dent the opiate trade they are a fool. That leaves harm reduction as the only viable tool.

You believe I'm as boozer as you believe he was clean for 23 years.

Actually Chef, your ignorance is in full force here. Abstaining from opiates for a long time and then relapsing is perhaps the largest cause of ODs. It's perfectly plausible that he was indeed clean for 23 years.

Going on almost 2 years now in April, my brother fell off his semi that he was loading (car carrier)... He broke one ankle and the other foot. After surgery and rehab, and then subsequent surgeries... He has been on a lot of pain killers, it is amazing he isn't hooked!

Heroin is making a comeback because doctors hand it out in pill form like it's candy. They get people hooked on pain meds, and then the addicts realize they can get the same fix for $10 instead of spending $300 on a single pill.

Come on - $300 a pill?!? If that was true, all you guys who are bragging about not taking all your pills should be selling them on the street right now!