Jameis Winston wearing Bills gear on Twitter

So EJ shipped him some gear. OR Jamis doesn't like EJ and that's a passive aggressive move to say "I'm conning for your job next year"

Too bad it takes real effort to tank bad enough to get the #1 overall pick.

Don't Win for Winston

Edited by Why So Serious?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it against NCAA rules to take gifts from NFL players :) Clearly that is what JW is sporting. He and EJ are beyond tight.

I assume no. BB.com had an article about Nickell Robey towards the end of the season. He talked about how cool it was for him that Travis Henry gave him a year's worth of Bills gear when he returned home after a season.

I assume no. BB.com had an article about Nickell Robey towards the end of the season. He talked about how cool it was for him that Travis Henry gave him a year's worth of Bills gear when he returned home after a season.

When it comes to the NCAA, do not assume anything.

IF ... EJ did give JW that gear, it would be a violation of NCAA rules.

Taken from the Boise State donor guide:

"You are a representative of athletics interest (a/k/a Booster) if you:

6. Participated as a varsity athlete at BSU (in this case FSU)

According to NCAA rules, once an individual has been identified as an institutional “representative of athletics interest” the individual retains that title for life.

Remember, as a representative of athletics interest, you are responsible for making the BSU Compliance Office immediately aware of any infractions that you know have occurred.

Even if the violation is unintentional, the eligibility of a prospect or enrolled student-athlete could be in jeopardy."

So what is a potential extra benefit violation?

An EXTRA BENEFIT is… any special gift or arrangement provided to an enrolled student-athlete, relative, or friend that is not available to the general student body of the institution or expressly authorized by NCAA legislation.

Extra Benefits prohibited would include:

• Giving money, clothing, equipment, or other merchandise
  • Giving any type of gift, gift-in kind, or general funding

Looks like a violation to me.

A better question to ask: Will the NCAA follow up and prosecute such a minor violation?

Edit: I am not advocating they do follow up. Just pointing out good old fashioned NCAA "logic".

Edited by Cynical

So Watkins and Winston are both like 20? That means growing up and liking football came in 4th grade. They'd be like 8?

20-8=12

2014-12=2002.

They liked the Bills with Moulds, Evans and the 2000's teams? WTF...I didn't even like those teams.

I would hedge a bet on their parents (fathers) being Bills fans...that would make more sense.

Isn't that how most of us end up liking the teams we like? (for the most part)

A better question to ask: Will the NCAA follow up and prosecute such a minor violation?

Edit: I am not advocating they do follow up. Just pointing out good old fashioned NCAA "logic".

If ej did give it to him it certainly appears thr it would fit under your description. However what proof do we have that is the case? Maybe he is sporting it bc he grew up a fan or became a fan when ej went there.

I never got the impression Bills gear was considered white trash. Mostly everyone I know that's not a Bills fan likes the way our gear looks.

I'm sure in buffalo it is different but there is certainly a perception of old school bills coat, shopping at wal mart (perhaps with your wife who is wearing pajama pants) white trash among many I know near syracuse. It obviously isn't the rule as I wear Bills clothing year round and don't consider myself white trash lol. I do have some friends that will bust my balls about it though.

He very likely just bought it for himself, to support his buddy/mentor.

this is the most likely scenario. As someone else indicated, the 90's starter jacket and zoobaz would be sweet. If EJ does not improve I'm all for getting Winston next year.

When it comes to the NCAA, do not assume anything.

IF ... EJ did give JW that gear, it would be a violation of NCAA rules.

Taken from the Boise State donor guide:

So what is a potential extra benefit violation?

This is crazy. As I read it, any parent of a student-athlete who buys their child a gift for Christmas(or tries to help them generally with a car or some extra cash etc) would be placing their child in violation.

Most likely there are some more detailed rules not listed in that link that would allow for these minor things.

This is crazy. As I read it, any parent of a student-athlete who buys their child a gift for Christmas(or tries to help them generally with a car or some extra cash etc) would be placing their child in violation.

Most likely there are some more detailed rules not listed in that link that would allow for these minor things.

Rules are different for your own kid, but they are very obtuse. My wife was trying to have a contest for 12 y/o soccer players a couple years ago and went through the NCAA to make sure she wasnt unintentionally screwing them over. They were completely not helpful and would not give her a yes or no answer on whether or not she was doing something permissable or not.

The general rule is if it's something you receive by being an athlete that isnt available to the student body (apart from equipment provided by your AD) it's against the rules. Anything. Take that in for a minute then remember these kids cant get jobs during the year and some of them are dirt poor in general. Then you'll get a better read on how the NCAA is truly dicking them over when they sell their likenesses to companies and sell shirts with their names on them and then dont give them a cut.

I get that they're getting their education and their room and board for free and theres value to that but a regular kid on scholarship gets that too but doesnt owe the university big chunks of their time in return. The kid on scholarship can get a job and often does. The athlete can't do that because their job is playing their sport. The time demands are massive and last all year, not just their season. The concept of voluntary workouts is comical at best.

EJ Manuel is am FSU Booster for life and as such can never give anything of value to any current FSU player or potential FSU recruit for the rest of his life. For example, he can't give Tyrone Wheatley Jr. a Christmas gift because he's a potential FSU recruit and EJ is a FSU Booster by definition. On the flip side Tyrone Wheatley Sr. can't treat the Canisius HS football team (for which his son plays) to dinner as a reward for their great season because he is a Michigan booster for life and they are potential recruits.

Edited by DJasper Probincrux III