Pettine has officially signed on as coach of the Browns

cale

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Head coaches in the NFL get fully guaranteed contracts. I've never known even one instance of non-guaranteed years. If they are removed early they still get paid. There are often offsets. That means that if a coach takes another job then that salary is deducted from what the original team owes him.

i believe rexs contract extension is only guaranteed through 2015 though it has years beyond, in everything ive read.

And Pettine will get a better OC than we have.

im not sure how confident id be. the only name leaked from the list is AVP, who could be blocked (and im not confident is better), and MKC mentions Cam Cameron who has been up and down you could say.

God bless him, it’s a great opportunity for Pettine. Bills still have the talent. I would promote from within just to keep continuity. Donnie Henderson or Jim O’Neil seem to be the best options on that front. Since it’s so late in the day I don’t know of outside DC options that would be viable who are dedicated to running the same aggressive, hybrid scheme. Pepper Johnson maybe?

I have advocated for the Bills to go defense (LB specifically) at pick 9 and losing Pettine makes me double-down on that desire. We need to get the most talent on this D as possible. Make the D damn near coach proof if that’s possible.

Edited by purple haze

I would ask the players how they feel about Donnie and hope they are high on him (including Byrd willing to play for him) then make the move..hopefully Pettine doesn't take him to Cleveland with him...never trust a jet again...

Again - Henderson is under contract with the Bills. I suppose if he is Pettine's DC choice he could weigh the offer or get promoted by us.

I think it'd be a bad idea - and most certainly unlikely - for front office to flat out ask players how they feel about a coach. Bad precedent as far as establishing authority. Asking Kyle Williams - maybe, as a captain. But then you're still inviting locker room politics into the situation.