Pettine has officially signed on as coach of the Browns

cale

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd tell all of them that no one is eligible to leave until we have a new DC and they decide who they want on their staff. Gotta stop the bleeding and get in control of our own situation immediately.

For lateral moves I completely agree. But I wouldn't want to block a huge promotion like that. If they do, I'd expect O'Neil to return the favor in kind in the future.

Karma's a B word.

Edited by CodeMonkey

For lateral moves I completely agree. But I wouldn't want to block a huge promotion like that. If they do, I'd expect O'Neil to not return the favor in kind later.

I dont like doing it, it doesnt make me feel good, but they have to do what's best for the Bills right now. If we've learned anything from this, it's that nothing in the NFL is guaranteed for more than a year (and you're lucky if you get that). I dunno. This just sucks.

I feel sorry for the players 3 DC's in as many years let's hope there isn't a drastic change in the philosophy or scheme. Bet they feel like they can never get ahead of the ball because every time they start to grasp on to the concept of the defense which they are being taught everything gets turned upside down again.

And this will be our 5th in 6 years. Bills should just tag Byrd now. No way he wants to come back to this.

I dont like doing it, it doesnt make me feel good, but they have to do what's best for the Bills right now. If we've learned anything from this, it's that nothing in the NFL is guaranteed for more than a year (and you're lucky if you get that). I dunno. This just sucks.

That's where we agree to disagree. Screwing over one of the subordinate coaches does not exactly make for things being all unicorns and rainbows within the coaching ranks. And we are talking about a LB coach. Is that a difficult position to fill? Were I Marrone I don't think I'd want to go into my potentially make or break season that way. That's just me.

And this will be our 5th in 6 years. Bills should just tag Byrd now. No way he wants to come back to this.

Maybe Pettine will get the Browns to pony up for Byrd. Plenty of cap space there too right ;)

Edited by CodeMonkey

and didnt edwards overhaul his awful scheme to a different awful scheme in our lone repeat?

That's where we agree to disagree. Screwing over one of the subordinate coaches does not exactly make for things being all unicorns and rainbows within the coaching ranks. And we are talking about a LB coach. Is that a difficult position to fill? Were I Marrone I don't think I'd want to go into my potentially make or break season that way. That's just me.

I disagree on the term "screwing over". There is no screwing over, it is all business. Which is exactly why Pettine gets to leave with no hard feelings.

I dont like the potential of the internal strife it may cause either, but we have to control our own house.

Maybe they allow them to go in the near future, but as of tonight the exit door out of Buffalo is closed.

and didnt edwards overhaul his awful scheme to a different awful scheme in our lone repeat?

Ah-ha! Yes he did! I knew I was forgetting something in there.

5 DCs and 6 schemes in 6 years. Go Bills!

I disagree on the term "screwing over". There is no screwing over, it is all business. Which is exactly why Pettine gets to leave with no hard feelings.

So if you were offered a job at a different company which was a significant promotion with an equally significant raise in pay, and your current company had the legal right to block it and did so, you would not feel screwed over? Your co-workers would also not see it as you being screwed over? I know I sure would.

I understand about stopping the bleeding. But personally I would draw the line at this.

And of course this is all hypothetical as of now anyway :)

Edited by CodeMonkey

Can you cite the last "typical" example of a Bills coach leaving to be a head coach after one year?

PTR

Not to defend "Fear of Losing" -- but, I think the comment was intended as, "just the Bills luck, something good happens (we hire Pettine)and next thing you know something bad follows (we lose him after a year)" -- i.e. one step forward -- one step back

So if you were offered a job at a different company which was a significant promotion with an equally significant raise in pay, and your current company had the legal right to block it and did so, you would not feel screwed over? Your co-workers would also not see it as you being screwed over? I know I sure would.

My job and industry (and Im guessing your job and industry) is nothing like the world of coaching.

If I took the job knowing that they could stop me from leaving for any position except one particular position (HC) then I couldnt be that mad because it's exactly what I signed up for.

I might feel frustrated or pissed, but it is what it is, and it's in my contract.

Edit: I might have felt more inclined to let guys go right away had it not been dragged out like it was. And again, they may get their chance to go if our new guy doesnt want them.

Heck, maybe the Bills are looking at making ONeil the DC, for all we know.

Point is, we have to make moves before any more moves are made for us.

Edited by DrDareustein

You would think that the talent we have on defense might attract a decent hire for the position. Let's see what they do.

the tricky part is, just as we have people saying do not let our coaches go to the browns... well... i think you know where im going.

we either have one of our guys, someone unemployed, or we are asking permission. thats not to say there are no good options though.

My job and industry (and Im guessing your job and industry) is nothing like the world of coaching.

If I took the job knowing that they could stop me from leaving for any position except one particular position (HC) then I couldnt be that mad because it's exactly what I signed up for.

I might feel frustrated or pissed, but it is what it is, and it's in my contract.

Edit: I might have felt more inclined to let guys go right away had it not been dragged out like it was. And again, they may get their chance to go if our new guy doesnt want them.

Heck, maybe the Bills are looking at making ONeil the DC, for all we know.

Point is, we have to make moves before any more moves are made for us.

Agreed

Plus Morrone needs to sell them on why they should want to stay.