Pettine has officially signed on as coach of the Browns

cale

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the Browns won't hire him until they approve of his coordinators. The browns are the next raiders. Word on the street is that they fired Chud becaues he wouldn't can a coordinator or something.

I just don't believe a person can be successful when someone else is determining who works for you.

I feel like the only head lining coach with a proven upside is leaving our defense dry. I assume he will take some of our coordinators? Im afraid Marrone will bring in his defense from Syracuse too. Yay one big happy family. The Browns obviously wanted someone else. Pettine wasnt their first choice. Thats why it has taken so long

Sounds like the Browns won't hire him until they approve of his coordinators. The browns are the next raiders. Word on the street is that they fired Chud becaues he wouldn't can a coordinator or something.

I just don't believe a person can be successful when someone else is determining who works for you.

You are thinking of Munchak. Chud's coordinators were great.

I think it's beyond clear that the Pettine's goal was a head coach's job asap. Why else would he leave the Jets for exactly the same job?

The goal was to get out from under Rex, and prove what he could do with a team he didn't select. The record-setting sacks, picks, etc....shows all of this.

If we had an average offense this past year in terms of points scored, we would have easily been in the playoffs.

I believe his plan was to stay here for 2 years, and then get a head coach job. All that's happened is: things have happened faster than expected, he did a bettter job with our defnse than expected, and the Browns sucked more than expected. That last part is something Pettine may want to consider: he's not going to fix a bad organization all by himself.

Ask Rex Ryan how well that works.

Great post.

The Bills had to be expecting this move in 2015. It get accelerated but I'm sure this week they were working the phones to get a DC lined up. Or Donnie Henderson stole enough from Pettine to make him the DC.

I think I'd start with: "You will not fire me after 1 year, like you did with the last guy, after trading away his RB, and intentionally tanking the season with every subsequent FO move."

I'd also go with: "I get 1 year of worry-free coaching for every 2 draft picks you trade away." (This way, when they do whatever the hell they do to get Manziel, and follow the same ruinous course as the Redskins, Pettine is insured against the results of their stupidity.)

I think I'd also do: "I get 1 year of worry-free coaching for every year my defense is in the top 10, but my offense is in the bottom ten. If this happens 3 years in a row, then then Pettine gets the GM job, or gets to hire a new GM."

You have to do something about Cleveland's drafting. It's far worse than ours, especially since Buddy/Whaley arrived. If I was Pettine, I'd demand final say on every single draft pick for the first 2 years....or something like that.

We know Pettine, he will start yelling at those Cleveland FO people, and they will cower.

It sounds like that's not the case with that FO.

right, clearly he could be fired, but id want essentially every dollar guaranteed regardless of if i worked 6 months or a full 3-4 years. which is something that is negotiable. id want the jay gruden 5 year full guarantee as opposed to the rex ryan only 2 years promised of the next 3+ remaining.

I think that's how most are structured.

What a kick in the gut...I mean what team loses a coordinator after 14 straight losing seasons and another 6-10 finish this year?? This is the type of **** that only happens to the Bills...

Now we start over from scratch again on D...when will something go our way for once?? Do we have a unending black cloud over this franchise or something??

So frustrating...

Yeah, HC is got to be able to hire a George Edwards...and replace him with a Wanny--or else it will never work out.

The term of the contract is certainly negotiable. What's not negotiable is the term of holding down the position.

I'm pretty sure that's what I said....

I'll bet we're going to find out that Pettine only came here with the assurance that he would be allowed to interview for HC openings. Lots of other clubs slammed the door on other clubs tampering with their staff. Not so in Buffalo.

I think you would lose that bet:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-01-17/sports/ct-spt-0117-bears-hoke--20120118_1_coordinator-job-secondary-coach-fred-pagac

Teams are only required to grant permission for assistants under contract to interview with other teams when a head-coaching position is involved.