DC candidates

Pepper Johnson, learned from the best for over a decade. It would be worth an interview, ya Neva know

I 100% agree with this. he did amazing work w/ the LB's in NE. Plus, at least interview the guy. If we don't grab him, I'm sure Pettine will for his staff in Cleveland.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Wade make Mario move to OLB in the one season he played in that defense. I thought Mario did not like that. Phillips requires a big wide bodied Nose Tackle to make his defense successful. We do not have a Mt.Washington on this roster.

in dallas he had one like 6-4, 280

Didn't Wade make Mario move to OLB in the one season he played in that defense. I thought Mario did not like that. Phillips requires a big wide bodied Nose Tackle to make his defense successful. We do not have a Mt.Washington on this roster.

in dallas he had one like 6-4, 280

Promoting Donnie Henderson may also work favorably in terms of getting Byrd to stay.

Won't Pettine be taking all the assistants?

Won't Pettine be taking all the assistants?

Not likely if we promote Henderson to DC. Pettine could also take people from the Jets.

Seems to me our next DC is already here...DON'T LET HIM LEAVE! Donnie Henderson's Bio as DC.

In 2004, Henderson was the coordinator for the Jets defense that improved to seventh, from 21st, in the NFL in total defense and rookie linebacker Jonathan Vilma was named the 2004 AP Defensive Rookie of the Season. In 2005, the Jets finished second in the NFL in total passing yards allowed (172.2 avg.) and finished fifth with 21 interceptions.

That 2005 team that was 2nd in passing yards allowed was 29th in rushing yards allowed, on its way to a 4-12 season.

Going from Mike Pettine to Donnie Henderson will be exactly the underwhelming move that takes the wind from my sails as a fan this off season.

If anything, it's such a classic, "safe" move that this franchise has gone with time and again. If they go that route, I'll bet anything they don't interview outside candidates for the position.

You have a great opportunity to exhaust through all available ex DC's and ex HC's with the relevant experience, but instead you promote your secondary coach because he's your friend who has "done it before" (to little to no success, mind you).

Going from Mike Pettine to Donnie Henderson will be exactly the underwhelming move that takes the wind from my sails as a fan this off season.

If anything, it's such a classic, "safe" move that this franchise has gone with time and again. If they go that route, I'll bet anything they don't interview outside candidates for the position.

You have a great opportunity to exhaust through all available ex DC's and ex HC's with the relevant experience, but instead you promote your secondary coach because he's your friend who has "done it before" (to little to no success, mind you).

A guy who did it before, 8 years ago, without even a college-level DC job since. He spent the two years before he got to Buffalo as a collegiate position coach.

It would be a very typical Bills move. You can't really claim that you are all about winning and then go ahead and promote a guy who has, for all intents and purposes, failed as a DC in this league, and then spent the last few years coaching DBs at Southern University and Syracuse.

As far as I'm concerned, we don't really have an in-house candidate for the job.

A guy who did it before, 8 years ago, without even a college-level DC job since. He spent the two years before he got to Buffalo as a collegiate position coach.

You beat me to it.

I don't know. You get someone else and then you change the scheme all over again-- could set the young guys back. It was pretty clear that our entire d-line, Kiko, Robey, AW, Byrd, and McKelvin all excelled in this scheme.

Exactly! I'm not trying to pessimistic here. I'm sure Donnie is a great guy, but he blatantly would not be the most qualified man for the job.

What makes me sick, is thinking of the post promotion press conference, where not a single local journalist has the audacity to ask about Wade or any one with a successful track record as a DC. It will be all joy all the time. They might even ask for an injury update.

Pettine was a scheme-master.

Most of the guys tossed around this thread simply are not.

Seattle? San Fran? Those defenses are RIDDLED with talent.

We need a guy who can confuse the **** out of QBs like Pettine can.

But I haven't the foggiest who that guy is.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of Wade Phillips. All these other guys are question marks. Wade has a proven track record of running defenses. One of his biggest problems is he's a "players coach" but since the HC is a "my way or the highway" type there's less concern about the players getting over on him. Plus, our personnel may not be perfectly suited for his D, but it's not too bad. We've got a lot of big DEs and Wade describes his 3-4 as more of a 5-2. I'm confident he could come in and give us at least a top 15 defense if not better (maybe top 5, who knows) which would keep the team in games and consistently give them a chance to win if the offense can produce. I just can't imagine going back to the experience of the Gailey era assuming every possession by the opponent is going to result in points.

I don't know. You get someone else and then you change the scheme all over again-- could set the young guys back. It was pretty clear that our entire d-line, Kiko, Robey, AW, Byrd, and McKelvin all excelled in this scheme.

How exactly is Donnie Henderson's scheme the same scheme? He's been in this system for one year, just like the players.

Are you trying to say that if Henderson (mind you, he's not a Pettine/Rex Ryan guy at all) were DC we would be exactly as aggressive?

I would not say the Seattle's defense is riddled with talent. They have the best CB in the game who became that player while at Seattle. If you look around the internet a bit, you will find some great articles breaking down seattle's scheme and explaining how versatile and multiple it is. We also have the personnel on D to run it.

How exactly is Donnie Henderson's scheme the same scheme? He's been in this system for one year, just like the players.

Are you trying to say that if Henderson (mind you, he's not a Pettine/Rex Ryan guy at all) were DC we would be exactly as aggressive?

That is what I am saying, and it's the only reason to keep the guy. Henderson had a year under Pettine, and now Henderson will be tasked in carrying out Pettine's same scheme. It's the reason you would keep the guy. If he tells Marrone that he would implement an entirely new defense, then it makes sense to shop around outside of the organization.

That is what I am saying, and it's the only reason to keep the guy. Henderson had a year under Pettine, and now Henderson will be tasked in carrying out Pettine's same scheme. It's the reason you would keep the guy. If he tells Marrone that he would implement an entirely new defense, then it makes sense to shop around outside of the organization.

Yeah, that makes sense. But, do you have confidence Henderson (who spent time as a positional coach, not necessarily completely in tuned with why some defenses were called at specific times during the game) can just go ahead and run the defense?

Wouldn't you feel more confident if he were within this scheme for closer to five years at least? Seems like more of a risk than hiring another guy to me.

Yep. If Marrone wants to run the same D scheme, promote. That's what Seattle did last year. Worked for them.

That 2005 team that was 2nd in passing yards allowed was 29th in rushing yards allowed, on its way to a 4-12 season.

I see you point but nothing stays the same. You're either getting better or worse...pretty sure he's learned from his past stint in the DC role. If anything its worth a shot given the talent and for continuity sake. I also believe Jim O'Neil is a good candidate as well, he knows Pettine's system but he doesn't have any experience in the role.

I see you point but nothing stays the same. You're either getting better or worse...pretty sure he's learned from his past stint in the DC role. If anything its worth a shot given the talent and for continuity sake. I also believe Jim O'Neil is a good candidate as well, he knows Pettine's system but he doesn't have any experience in the role.

Very astute of you.

If im Marrone then Wade is my choice. You have a guy who is proven as a DC which means low risk high reward. Undoubtly he would be the assistand HC as well. Hiring from within is very dangerous as we have a very weak staff. That bein said its the Bills so we will do something overly stupid. Im sure Marrone has a Cronie somewhere needing a job also. This is going to get funny.

More important than Henderson's time with Pettine, was his time with Rex Ryan when both were position coaches under Mike Nolan in Baltimore.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah, that makes sense. But, do you have confidence Henderson (who spent time as a positional coach, not necessarily completely in tuned with why some defenses were called at specific times during the game) can just go ahead and run the defense?

Wouldn't you feel more confident if he were within this scheme for closer to five years at least? Seems like more of a risk than hiring another guy to me.

I agree it's a risk. I also have no views on Henderson, since I have heard nothing about how much he knows this scheme.

The question is going to be what's riskier-- keeping Henderson/trying to run the same scheme versus getting someone new/changing the scheme?

Wade Phillips.

He's alreAdy stated that he would return to "any team" that he used to work for.

It would all come down to the facts of Russ is truly running the team or of Ralph is. If Ralph still has a say, then his fridge won't allow it. If Russ is, there's no better defensive coaching coordinator available.

All I know is last time the Bills made the playoffs Wade was on the sideline.

Enough for me right there.

All I know is last time the Bills made the playoffs Wade was on the sideline.

Enough for me right there.

That was also 14+ years ago. I'm not saying the NFL has passed Wade by but his best successes have come with defenses that took some time to build and assemble the talent for. That worries me.

If we look outside the org, I would like to see someone bright and innovative picked up - basically a Pettine with a little less pedigree.

I agree it's a risk. I also have no views on Henderson, since I have heard nothing about how much he knows this scheme.

The question is going to be what's riskier-- keeping Henderson/trying to run the same scheme versus getting someone new/changing the scheme?

Depends on who it is changing the scheme. Wade has had success at several teams of coming in, changing things, and turning a bad one into a good one in one season.

I hope Pettine stays, but if he doesn't I don't think we should get too hung up on keeping the same scheme. With the talent we have, a good coach should be able to make it work.