I love watching Lil Donte Whitner get exposed

Watched the replay 5 times this morning. The Seahawk's lineup with 3 WRs on the right and a TE on the left of their formation, all 3 run a vertical. The TE stays in to block. SF appears to be in a 1 safety high look, Whitner is playing the deep middle. Regardless Seattle's Baldwin is the closest WR to the middle of the formation, he easily beats his man and Whitner adjusts his coverage to take the pass away from over the top, Wilson makes a great throw to the 2nd WR, not the man Whitner was helping cover. Watch it for yourself. Tell me what I am missing?

The fact that the player was Whitner, he sucks, and everything he does is wrong because he was drafted 8th by the Bills over guys that people here had bigger hard-ons for.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVE this logic. Would have never thought of that until reading this board about Whitner. Not my fault I was drafted this high.....classic. Using this, no player is ever a flop, just drafted too high :blink::wallbash:

Brutally bad call by the ref

thanks. I mean it really makes sense. Who goes to their boss to say" hey. Don't pay me so much. I've been to two pro bowls. A super bowl. Been at the top of my position but I had a bad few games and a few missed plays. Here have some money"

I agree 100% with the OP. I liked donte as a Bill. I watch every niner game because my buddies are die hard niner fans. They hate him. He cost them the SB last year. Those that say he didn't give up the TD to kearse, you're right, he didn't give that up. Care to rewatch the Super Bowl from last year and comment on his play? Well, he got exposed in the first half. He never shuts his trap is is more bark than bite. He talked trash about buffalo when he left. Are we supposed to like the guy? Sure, we can just let it go....or we can enjoy watching him get owned in big game after big game. I enjoy watching him get owned. To each is his own. Shut your mouth lil donte, people won't hate you as much.

I agree 100% with the OP. I liked donte as a Bill. I watch every niner game because my buddies are die hard niner fans. They hate him. He cost them the SB last year. Those that say he didn't give up the TD to kearse, you're right, he didn't give that up. Care to rewatch the Super Bowl from last year and comment on his play? Well, he got exposed in the first half. He never shuts his trap is is more bark than bite. He talked trash about buffalo when he left. Are we supposed to like the guy? Sure, we can just let it go....or we can enjoy watching him get owned in big game after big game. I enjoy watching him get owned. To each is his own. Shut your mouth lil donte, people won't hate you as much.

I recall him blasting Gailey for calling players out, but I don't recall him saying anything negative about the players, fans, or region.

Do you recall what he said, or did you not like him ripping his former coach?

Who cares how former Bills play? Once they leave here it doesn't matter. Did we adequately replace them? Did we have to allocate a valuable resource to replace them or did we find an inexpensive alternative? Roster construction is the most important theme of this board. We have adequately replaced Whitner and Lynch but invested a lot to do so. They didn't even try to address Levitre last year which was a mistake. Let's discuss what we need to do to get to a championship game (and then criticize the performance).

Every Big game he gets exposed for his horrible coverage skills. He is always a half of step behind. He nearly single handily cost them the conference championship against the Falcons last year and in my estimation was one of the big reasons they lost the Super Bowl. Teams seem to know to go after him in the playoffs.

The only thing that gets him to the pro bowl is his big mouth. I'll never forget him getting absolutely truckd by Sammy Morris against New England. If anyone has a clip of that it would be great. So here's to you Lil Donte for being a failure at the game of football and costing your team many more games!

I don't like it when a top player leaves for more $$ but I'm not going to pizz on him for years to come

Tell me HOW great was Wilson? 215 YDS and 1 TD, 4 sacks for 22 yds. From what I saw, he was not that good because the OLine was as soft as a kitten and more often that not the receivers were covered by a defender.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I always found the Whitner hatred on here odd. People lump him in with Maybin. One is a starter that has been to the Pro Bowl on an elite defense that has played in the Super Bowl. The other is in the CFL. Whitner is a pretty good NFL player. He probably shouldn't have went 8th but the Bills have taken much worse players in the 1st round in the last decade (Mike Williams, Losman, Aaron Maybin, McCargo). That doesn't even account for bad 2nd round picks like Torrell Troupe.

I get what you are saying, and I don't advocating hating players.

Yes, Whitner was a better player than those you list above, no doubt. The problem was that the Bills took him at #8. Was this Donte's fault? Of course not. The thing is (in my opinion) the Whitner selection was emblematic of exactly what is wrong with this team. The 2006 draft was literally stacked with talented players that the Bills desperately needed. And Levy said that he had MULTIPLE offers to trade down. :wallbash: Instead, they stayed put and selected a small, decent safety who btw was the 2nd safety selected in that draft.

And btw, mistakes on top 10 picks were VERY costly in those days. Whitner cost the Bills more than Andrew Luck will cost the Colts in terms of their first contracts.

Levy and Jauron destroyed this team as soon as they got here but again.....they didn't hire themselves.

I get what you are saying, and I don't advocating hating players.

Yes, Whitner was a better player than those you list above, no doubt. The problem was that the Bills took him at #8. Was this Donte's fault? Of course not. The thing is (in my opinion) the Whitner selection was emblematic of exactly what is wrong with this team. The 2006 draft was literally stacked with talented players that the Bills desperately needed. And Levy said that he had MULTIPLE offers to trade down. :wallbash: Instead, they stayed put and selected a small, decent safety who btw was the 2nd safety selected in that draft.

And btw, mistakes on top 10 picks were VERY costly in those days. Whitner cost the Bills more than Andrew Luck will cost the Colts in terms of their first contracts.

Levy and Jauron destroyed this team as soon as they got here but again.....they didn't hire themselves.

I agree with everything that you just said (and said well). The Bills were always smarter than everyone else in the room (Maybin over Orakpo for example). If you want to know why we haven't played in a playoff game in 14 years look at the decisions that this team has made.

Watched the replay 5 times this morning. The Seahawk's lineup with 3 WRs on the right and a TE on the left of their formation, all 3 run a vertical. The TE stays in to block. SF appears to be in a 1 safety high look, Whitner is playing the deep middle. Regardless Seattle's Baldwin is the closest WR to the middle of the formation, he easily beats his man and Whitner adjusts his coverage to take the pass away from over the top, Wilson makes a great throw to the 2nd WR, not the man Whitner was helping cover. Watch it for yourself. Tell me what I am missing?

Thanks for the discerning eye. I thought he was late getting to his assignment, but I trust your judgement. The fact remains (and it is supported by stats) that Whitner isn't really "good" at anything. I really don't hate the guy, but it sort of irks me that he prances around like a bonifide all-pro. I agree that both Byrd and Williams are better safeties.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

I don't understand bashing former Bills for not playing well in a championship game. It has literally been a quarter of a century since the Bills had a player suck in an AFC Championship game (Ickey Shuffle). This Whitner bashing is just a mask for the jealousy that some feel.

To a certain extent yes. Any other player that has remained quiet, I can see your point. Donte has taken to social media to rip on the Bills and others... He is and has been very vocal, so I guess the tit-for-tat bad blood is warranted. Now, it is the BFLO fans turn to act like loudmouths and rip on him.

Doesn't help that he was the biggest mistake ever @ such a high 1st round pick... Think about it, we could have Jay Cutler over him. Boy Jay's happy!

Yes, Whitner was a better player than those you list above, no doubt. The problem was that the Bills took him at #8. Was this Donte's fault? Of course not. The thing is (in my opinion) the Whitner selection was emblematic of exactly what is wrong with this team.

Can I use this too?? It's too cool

Yes, Maybin was a better player than those you list above, no doubt. The problem was that the Bills took him at #11. Was this Aaron's fault? Of course not. The thing is (in my opinion) the Maybin selection was emblematic of exactly what is wrong with this team.

He didn't play well today. Had a 15 yard penalty against him on a shot to the head. Was caught out of position on Lynch TD run. He can't cover anyone. Peyton and Julius Thomas would have eaten him alive.

Whitner wasn't on the field that play.

He played well yesterday and had a very strong, pro bowl-level season this year.

Thanks for the discerning eye. I thought he was late getting to his assignment, but I trust your judgement. The fact remains (and it is supported by stats) that Whitner isn't really "good" at anything. I really don't hate the guy, but it sort of irks me that he prances around like a bonifide all-pro. I agree that both Byrd and Williams are better safeties.

How many Niners' games did you watch this year? Whitner had an excellent season - better than the previous two seasons. His play certainly passed the eyeball test this year, but he also 15 passes defensed - 50 percent more than his previous high. 15 is a lot for a safety. Aaron Williams had 11. Gilmore had 10 and Byrd 6 (obviously, they all missed some time, butthere's something to be said for durability). Leodis had 20 - a great season.

Edited by dave mcbride

This might be the ultimate TwoBillsDrive/StadiumWall BS.

First, too many here don't understand how much of a crap-shoot the draft is - even in the top 10. Whitner wasn't a great pick, but by no means was he anything close to a bust. The first round, and top 10 specifically, are where you HOPE to find a very good to excellent player. That doesn't mean that a Pro-Bowl player is a given.

I think Whitner is good to very good. He has holes in his game and thinks he is better than he is, but that describes 95% of the players in the NFL. Is it a shame that the Bills selected him above Haloti Ngata? Yes, for sure. However, you can play that game with every team in every round of most every draft. There are always picks that, in hindsight, would have been better than the guy that team A picked.

The draft is an inexact art/science. There are far more variables involved than going to website X and looking at their ranking of players then declaring that they are right. I am 100% confident that with 32 teams there are also 32 unique top 32 player lists.

Who cares how former Bills play? Once they leave here it doesn't matter. Did we adequately replace them? Did we have to allocate a valuable resource to replace them or did we find an inexpensive alternative? Roster construction is the most important theme of this board. We have adequately replaced Whitner and Lynch but invested a lot to do so. They didn't even try to address Levitre last year which was a mistake. Let's discuss what we need to do to get to a championship game (and then criticize the performance).

I love this idea that because the Bills didn't do well that talking about other players/teams is off the table. The Bills success don't somehow grant or deny privilege to discuss a player. You folks that are harped on this we must bash all Bills decisions all the time time need to to find a new schtick. Some of us can criticize the failures of the Bills organization and taker delight in a loud mouth getting owned.

I love this idea that because the Bills didn't do well that talking about other players/teams is off the table. The Bills success don't somehow grant or deny privilege to discuss a player. You folks that are harped on this we must bash all Bills decisions all the time time need to to find a new schtick. Some of us can criticize the failures of the Bills organization and taker delight in a loud mouth getting owned.

I hope that this makes you feel better about another 6-10 season. You totally missed the point but feel free to discuss whatever you want (especially if it makes you sleep at night). The point was that we have way bigger issues and problems to discuss than the performance of Whitner, Lynch, etc...

Do you think the Patriots care at all about what their former players are doing? All that they care about is what they need to do to win. It's such a loser mentality to be the jaded ex-gf. She picked a new man that's much more successful than you. Move on...

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I hope that this makes you feel better about another 6-10 season. You totally missed the point but feel free to discuss whatever you want (especially if it makes you sleep at night). The point was that we have way bigger issues and problems to discuss than the performance of Whitner, Lynch, etc...

Do you think the Patriots care at all about what their former players are doing? All that they care about is what they need to do to win. It's such a loser mentality to be the jaded ex-gf. She picked a new man that's much more successful than you. Move on...

I love talking about the performance of former Bills in a non-axe-to-grind way.

Ouch. But no surprise. Whitner is not good in coverage. He's also not good against the run. And he seems to be terrible in the clutch. Otherwise, he is a pro bowl safety.

guys, how can this be hating on the guy when every analytic out there supports the fact that whitner isn't any good?

Ouch. But no surprise. Whitner is not good in coverage. He's also not good against the run. And he seems to be terrible in the clutch. Otherwise, he is a pro bowl safety.

Haha. Ya he was super lucky Alex Smith saved his bacon after getting destroyed by the Saints too.

Not my style to start these kinds of threads personally, but it is odd to me that so many can't wait to rush to his rescue. Supposedly it's just haters being bitter but I mean, nobody was ripping Pat Williams & Winfield in Minnesota because they were ya know, good. And they talked less (well maybe not Pat).

Edited by BuffOrange

Whitner wasn't on the field that play.

He played well yesterday and had a very strong, pro bowl-level season this year.

How many Niners' games did you watch this year? Whitner had an excellent season - better than the previous two seasons. His play certainly passed the eyeball test this year, but he also 15 passes defensed - 50 percent more than his previous high. 15 is a lot for a safety. Aaron Williams had 11. Gilmore had 10 and Byrd 6 (obviously, they all missed some time, butthere's something to be said for durability). Leodis had 20 - a great season.

Actually, I watched quite a few 49ers games this season. They typically played the later games, and Frank Gore was one of my FF running backs.

Look, there is no question that Whitner makes plays. He had a tremendous pass break up during the game on Sunday. The problem is his inconsistency. I think as Bills fans, we all can recall the way he was so poor at defending the deep routes. This is nothing new. I can't understand why folks are so quick to come to his defense when his shortcomings are so well documented (and oft on display for a national TV audience). I don't hate the guy...that would be silly. I just think that his "self-promotion" is classless, and is not supported by his play on the field. His inadequacies are sometimes masked, IMO, due to the fact that he is surrounded by very good players on a very good defense.