NFL Execs: Rob Ryan being denied HC jobs because of his hair

Big Turk

I think the coolest thing about him is his hair. Definitely the better looking of the Ryan brothers. I don't want to think this is true but given that Norv Turner keeps getting head coaching jobs, who knows? Personally, I think it's more due to the fact that he is overrated as a DC.

...personal appearances are not show fodder...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a silly story. If Bellichick or either of the Harbaugh's decided to gro frohawks at the end of their current contracts, owners would be lining up to hire them.

Some owners are dumb, but not that kind of dumb.

Those 2 are already established as HCs

It is funny that self promotional hair will work for players like Poz and Polamalu to be seen as better than they actually are, but that for coaches it is seen as a negative.

If I ran an N.F.L. team, I would enforce a rule like George Steinbrenner's. Long hair has a detrimental effect on football performance.

If I ran an N.F.L. team, I would enforce a rule like George Steinbrenner's. Long hair has a detrimental effect on football performance.

Hilarious. Clay Matthews and Troy Polamalu are laughing at you.

This is nuts. This is the league that requires middle age and elderly men typically overweight to wear athletic gear on the sideline. The NFL should start a line of suits and dress wear and have the coaches wear that on the sidelines and sell that.

Its okay to look like a morbidly obese Ned Flanders...but a morbidly obese Big Lebowski, never. I'd take Ed Wood in drag if it meant we were playing this weekend. Stop with the fake morals and standards NFL. Two things matter money and winning. Thats it. Rob Ryan is not an HC. He has not fielded that many dominant defences.

This is nuts. This is the league that requires middle age and elderly men typically overweight to wear athletic gear on the sideline. The NFL should start a line of suits and dress wear and have the coaches wear that on the sidelines and sell that.

Its okay to look like a morbidly obese Ned Flanders...but a morbidly obese Big Lebowski, never. I'd take Ed Wood in drag if it meant we were playing this weekend. Stop with the fake morals and standards NFL. Two things matter money and winning. Thats it. Rob Ryan is not an HC. He has not fielded that many dominant defences.

What are you talking about?

I don't see what's so shocking about this. More so than the owner or GM the HC is the face of management the teams project to the public. NFL clubs have a brand they're selling and the wino look isn't what they're after.

I understand why the owners don't want to hire someone who looks like a non conformist. The man does look like he could break out with a fat doobie at any min. :lol:

Lets face fact tho, if his defenses were winning championships like his brother Rex's did, well then he would at least get some HC looks, even with all that hair.

There is a look the NFL wants, but why on earth do they allow Bella cheat to wear the cut off sweatshirt?

Why?

Because men play this game.

Because there should be standards othweise there is chaos.

Long hair is dangerous , its legal to tackle someone by the hair, but not to horse collar them...hmmm

Im not saying everyone needs a crewcut, but you dont need hair down to your ass.

It's just like any other industry. You have to look the part and play the game. He doesn't.

Yup. Some people will always whine about it, but the guy who owns the billion dollar business has every right to have the public face of his enterprise look presentable.

I have a feeling this is a "Yahoo headline" style, hit generator. In other words, Mortenson asks some "NFL Executive" (That could be a wide range of people) what he thinks of Ryan as a head coach, and the answer includes something negative about his hair. So then Mortenson starts asking other "executives" specifically about his hair. All it takes is one guy to say "Yeah, that could be part of the reason why" and now the headline can read "NFL Executives say Ryan's Hair is a problem".

Great, time to see if it will generate some "hits".

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Hilarious. Clay Matthews and Troy Polamalu are laughing at you.

Long hair does not preclude competence. I never said that. It does, however, reduce speed and provide a target for opposing players to grab on, as hair is considered part of the uniform. Players constantly get their hair pulled under the pile, and potentially suffer injury as a result. Work on your reading comprehension.

What are you talking about?

Coaches require special privileges to wear suits.

They said the same thing about Ray Horton's dreads.

Horton who coached a bang-up defense in Arizona in 2012, only to be overlooked in favor of Arians seems now to be repeating the process in Cleveland for a HC TBD.

He did, however, cut the dreads.

Horton looks way better in his photos where he doesn't have corn rows. Like way, way, way better. Like a normal dude.

I have a hard time taking Rob Ryan seriously. Every time they show him on the sideline with his weird facial gestures and his hair flopping around, I can't help but think he should be a professional wrestler.

He just looks like a guy who is going to grab the microphone and talk some smack with a ridiculously deep voice..... then jump in the ring and go clothesline some little muscular dude running at him.....