Best NFL coach the last 25 years...

Dopey

Hey guys, it's the off season for us again so I'm going a little of topic(not really a Bills topic). I saw the post regarding being sick of Manning and Brady. It got me thinking of how Billecheck(sp) has made this team a winner. I know, I know they have Brady, but this guy is a genius. He adapts his game plan every week to take advantage of weaknesses of the opposing team. I know all coaches try to do this, but he does it right. No receivers to throw to?!?! No problem. No marquee Rb, no problem. I know he cheated, but other teams were doing the same(just never caught). IMO he is the best coach I've seen in the last 25 yrs. Also, I could be wrong but Parcells didn't win a SB without him. I don't think Parcells would have won 1 SB without Bellicheck . Sure Bills fans can't stand him, but he is damn good. Any thoughts or other coaches you think is better?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just dopey....

If BB is the best all-time, he is the best of the last 25 years (and I am not arguing that point). I would rank Joe Gibbs #2 all time, or at least in my 40+ years of following the NFL.

Edited by Buftex

Not sure if anyone here is old enough to remember Don Shula, Vince Lombardi, Bill Parsells, Tom Landry or even Bill Walsh for that matter. Each of these guys were pretty darn good too.

What separates Bellichich IMO is the length of time he's been on top.....not to mention during the era of free agency.

Certainly an amazing career. Nothing but respect for BB.

BB will be tainted by spy gate (or should be).

In the last 25 yrs (since 1989), I think unfortunately jimmy Johnson has to get some consideration. as does marv levy and bill cowher.

I just can't agree on Jimmy Johnson getting consideration. He built a great team down in Dallas and I'll give him credit for that. A team that was so great even Barry Switzer won a ring with them. Also Johnson and his 3 year Super Bowl plan failed in Miami and he left the Dolphins a mess. Jimmy owes his legacy to that Ridiculous Walker trade in '89.

Belichick is a great coach, deserving of a place on a short list with the Shulas, Walshes, etc. Which is what makes his cheating all the more galling to me. Like Arod and Bonds, these are guys who didn't need to cheat to achieve greatness and did anyway.

Walsh didn't cheat. Shula didn't. Jimmy Johnson jumped on cereal boxes, but he didn't cheat.

Are we talking all coaches or just head coaches?

If we're including all coaches, I have to think Dick LeBeau's job as a DC in Pittsburgh over the past decade is up there. This year was the first time since he got back to Pittsburgh they weren't in the top 10 in yards allowed. That's insane.

Gibbs because of three different QB's.

Not sure if anyone here is old enough to remember Don Shula, Vince Lombardi, Bill Parsells, Tom Landry or even Bill Walsh for that matter. Each of these guys were pretty darn good too.

What separates Bellichich IMO is the length of time he's been on top.....not to mention during the era of free agency.

Certainly an amazing career. Nothing but respect for BB.

I don't agree with this popular theory that sustained winning is necessarily harder in this FA/Cap era. I mean it's harder if you have an average trigger man, sure, because it's harder to build a dominant team. But with an all-time elite QB I think the fact that the rest of the talent is spread out makes it easier because you're never in a 1991 Miami situation where the rest of your roster is just overmatched.

Don Shula and it's not close. He won more longer and more consistantly than any head coach. He did it with great QBs and pedestrian ones. Take bellicheats record without Brady and he barely cracks .500

What about when Brady went down and Cassel went in?