My take after some research on Byrd

D521646

I really don't know how people can still say the Bills are cheap.

Maybe because they have jerked around one of their very few home-grown pro bowlers over money and traded one of their eight home games for a few extra bucks in Ralph's pocket?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jimmy Leonard had, what-- 5 picks this year?

I have been a big Leonard fan. The team never should have released him the first time. But I can't erase from my mind the image of LeGarret Blount (a 250 pound RB) blowing past him twice for long TD runs in the last game. He is either too slow to play in the NFL or he wanted no part of tackling Blount.

A question: Byrd rejected a top 5 safety contract offer. I understand there are many ways such contracts can be structured with far different realities as to what ultimately gets paid out to the player. That said, what was Byrd's counter? Did his agent actually offer a counter-proposal? Or did they simply say "No."? IOW was there any negotiation? If not, then he has zero desire to stay in Buffalo. If there was some good faith negotiation and a deal simply wasn't reached then it is a different story. It seems like it is the former more than the latter and in that case I'd be looking to tag and trade.

If Byrd did not have PF he would be worth what he is asking, but long term guaranteed money is risky in his case. If he would sign long term with only 1 year at a time guaranteed would be the safest way to go. If the Bills could get a 2nd rd pick for him ,they could draft a reasonable replacement.

I have been a big Leonard fan. The team never should have released him the first time. But I can't erase from my mind the image of LeGarret Blount (a 250 pound RB) blowing past him twice for long TD runs in the last game. He is either too slow to play in the NFL or he wanted no part of tackling Blount.

He's just not very good in run support. There were 2 or 3 big runs this year that were a direct result of a missed tackle or assignment by Leonard.

But the question is if you compare Leonard and Searcy's production at their cost against byrd's production at his cost, are we going to be a better team with Byrd? I am not sure.

if we give Byrd a big deal and then don't have the money to re-sign Williams and dareus, I think I would have problems with that.

Tyrd does NOT WANT to play in buffalo (unless of course they make him the highest paid safety in the league).

his agent does NOT WANT his player to sign with buffalo (teaching the bills and the league to not jerk his clients around).

the Bills will Franchise Tag him again (they don't want to walk away with nothing ).

Tyrd will again wait until he is 100% healthy before playing.

he will be traded before ever playing again for the bills.

Byrd wants to get paid and will play anywhere, for any team, that agrees to pay him the most. The Bills will certainly try to negotiate, but given past history with Byrd, and particularly with his agent, I think the expectation should be that no deal will be struck. I do not see the Bills simply ceding to a demand by another party who refuses to negotiate. This is bad business and bad precedent, especially since they own the biggest card - Franchise Tag. They can, and should use the tag again. He will then either negotiate or not. If not, so be it. The Bills still have options at that point with their asset, including keeping him on the roster. This is going to go on for a while, so I am sure this is one of many discussions on the topic this board will have over the next 6 months.

.......if we give Byrd a big deal and then don't have the money to re-sign Williams and dareus, I think I would have problems with that.

I don't have much worry about that. It seems to me that the Bills have already factored Byrd's contrct into their future cap management(though possibly a couple of million lower than they will need, which shouldn't make any difference).

I for one will be greatly annoyed at the Bills if Byrd is not on the roster in 2014......unless Byrd gives them absolutely no choice in being determined to leave.

Of course the Bills want to keep Byrd. But you don't break the bank on any safety in today's game. He is not Ronnie Lott. They will make him a very good settlement offer. But it will not set new standards for safety's, nor should it. He will decide whether to take it. if he doesn't the Bills will tag him. Or trade him if some teams wants to over pay. Bottom line, we have never won many games w Jairus Byrd. Nor have we won many games with anyone on this roster. We need much better QB play. When we get that, we will win a lot more games whoever is playing safety for us. Seriously, do you think the best teams in the NFL overpay for safety's? No, it is not a gamechanging position. There hasn't been one since Ed Reed in his prime 5-7 years ago. So lets get over the Byrd is our savior talk. Because he is not. He is a good player.

I agree with an earlier post this could become an elite defense with retaining Byrd and adding a stud ILB. I want us to keep him with a solid contract, but more importantly we beef up the deal with excellent guaranteed money.

If we find a passing game, we have a top defense. We can't be an elite defense with an anemic passing game on offense no matter how good our running game plays.

A question: Byrd rejected a top 5 safety contract offer. I understand there are many ways such contracts can be structured with far different realities as to what ultimately gets paid out to the player. That said, what was Byrd's counter? Did his agent actually offer a counter-proposal? Or did they simply say "No."? IOW was there any negotiation? If not, then he has zero desire to stay in Buffalo. If there was some good faith negotiation and a deal simply wasn't reached then it is a different story. It seems like it is the former more than the latter and in that case I'd be looking to tag and trade.

I really hope this is not the case.... however, I have feeling it is and he is just waiting for his opportunity to play elsewhere. I hope I am wrong.

There's a giant difference in passing out good contracts with the long term future in sight and being cheap. I really don't know how people can still say the Bills are cheap. Because they didn't pay a guard who hasn't made one pro bowl $8 million? At the same time, people say the Bills are dumb for overpaying for guys like Mario and Stevie. Which one is it?

You are right that is the 'rub'.

Personally i think the Bills need to learn how to spend wisely. Sometimes it is not their fault that a deal turns bad, ie a player gets paid and then his production diminishes.

Byrd is one of those guys i would be hesitant, not saying i would not do it, to make the highest paid guy.

I really hope this is not the case.... however, I have feeling it is and he is just waiting for his opportunity to play elsewhere. I hope I am wrong.

I guess the only other thing it could be is that he's simply looking for the biggest and best contract and will go to the highest bidder. Washington will have some decent cap space available this offseason and we know they'll be looking to overspend. Perfect fit.

Tyrd does NOT WANT to play in buffalo (unless of course they make him the highest paid safety in the league).

his agent does NOT WANT his player to sign with buffalo (teaching the bills and the league to not jerk his clients around).

the Bills will Franchise Tag him again (they don't want to walk away with nothing ).

Tyrd will again wait until he is 100% healthy before playing.

he will be traded before ever playing again for the bills.

And you know all this how?

I guess the only other thing it could be is that he's simply looking for the biggest and best contract and will go to the highest bidder. Washington will have some decent cap space available this offseason and we know they'll be looking to overspend. Perfect fit.

I can certainly see this happening. I hope it doesn't, But that's how it works.

And you know all this how?

because his agent is EUGENE PARKER !!!

maybe you've heard of him.....he will not flinch.....but the bills will.

please google some of his clients that held out and tell me how it ended ???

i'll save you some time....the player won......Jairus Tyrd will become the HIGHEST PAID SAFETY IN FOOTBALL (just not with Buffalo).

Cornelius Bennett - held out......became highest paid defensive player in the league.

Curtis Martin - New England to the Jets

Jason Peters - Buffalo to Philly

Richard Seymour - New England to the Raiders

Ndamukong Suh - Detroit $40 mil GUARANTEED

Michael Crabtree - SF

In 1995, Parker negotiated Deion Sanders lucrative seven year, 35 million dollar contract, with a 13 million dollar signing bonus, which at that time made Sanders the highest paid defensive player in the NFL.

In 2004 he negotiated a six year deal worth $60 million for wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, making him the highest paid rookie in the NFL ever.

Other holdouts that have been Parkers clients include:

Derrick Brooks-10 days-2001

Cedric Benson- 36 days- 2005

Hines Ward- 14 days- 2005

Richard Seymour- three days- 2005

Devin Hester- two days- 2008

Steven Jackson-27 days- 2008

Sedrick Ellis- six days-2008

Parker and the seven holdouts listed above were pretty clear winners in all of the holdout negotiations once all were said and done.

http://sportsmanagementdegree.org/2012/agent-spotlight-eugene-parker/

Edited by papazoid

Byrd is an elite safety and a consistent playmaker on defense....you look at his numbers and hes on his way to a hall of fame career. We drafted him and the BIlls in this long streak of playoff futility have a track record of letting their best homegrown talent go (peters, greer, winfield, p williams, mcgahee, clements, whitner, lynch)....its time to put an end to this terrible trend.

Byrd deserves to be one of the highest paid players at his position and he needs to be a buffalo bill for the rest of his career. If we let him get away it truly is a failjob by upper management and sign this team truly isnt interested in winning.

Also for those who still think Byrd isnt an elite player check this out:

Byrd: 73 games played 22 INTS 260 tackles 2 TD's

Ed Reed: 74 games played 27 INTS 276 tackles 3 TD's

Edited by TallskiWallski83

The situation is pretty cut and dry to me.

Bills will try to sign Byrd long term, if the can't the will tag him and then try to trade him. If they can't arrange a trade at that point then he will walk at the end of next season (for nothing) with no third franchise tag. I suspect that the Bills will offer more than they did last season but still less than what Byrd is asking and not make him the top paid safety in the league.

I think that the most likely outcome is tag and trade, but I would not be surprised at all if they ended up signing him to a long term deal.

Obviously, it would be best for the team to have him out there as he is unquestionably a top 5 safety, at least.

Brandon is almost forced to sign the Bird, simply because he has constantly mouthed the mantra: "we'll do whatever it takes to win".

Personally, I don't like Byrd/Parker's tactics (faked injury etc), but find it funny that Russ has painted himself in this corner (plus the giveaway home field corner).

These two deserve one another, but not sure the Bills do.