Fitzpatrick the coach killer

uticaclub

Chan actually picked Fitz as a starter. That bad decision is on Chan.

In Tennessee, Locker was the starter before going down. There's a little bit of a difference there

They have informed Locker he will have to compete for the starting JOB next year!

I'm willing to risk it

Well, apparently you are not Marrone. ;)

Marrone placing all of his chips on a single bet seems rather gallant perhaps. On the other hand, blowing the place up every 3 years or so because the bets never pay off has helped create a culture of losing, instability, and futility for 14 years.

I'd like Marrone to have every chance at success. Not just be the latest in a long line of talk-toughs that hop on the sled and ride it down the hill into oblivion.

They have informed Locker he will have to compete for the starting JOB next year!

Didn't they fire the coach?

Chan actually picked Fitz as a starter. That bad decision is on Chan.

In Tennessee, Locker was the starter before going down. There's a little bit of a difference there

This. While Chan didn't acquire Fitz, I'm sure Chan had input into the decision to offer Fitz starter money and to not enter the QB Draft Sweepstakes 'cuz he thought Fitz was The Man.

On the other hand, there aren't many teams that can lose the starting QB and not miss a beat, and actually Fitz did a pretty good job for Tenn as the backup and is one of the better backups in the league. He's just not the guy who can carry a team in the absence of stout D etc.

I would imagine the Flaming Thumbtacks will be drafting a QB. Or at least, they will if the new coach is smart.

I always liked Fitz. Took his guys out to lunch every week win or loose. Took a beating and kept on ticking. Made a ton of money. What isn't there to like. He is a good backup any place but in Buffalo thank you. We have Thad. I always liked Thad. etc. etc.

Nah, EJ's doing just fine (2.9% int rate comparable to Fitz's 3.4%) in that category...

If you think EJ has an INT problem you have your head in the sand. The guy only threw 10 picks on almost 400 throws his senior year, and did an outstanding job this year as an nfl rookie.

His only bad game was Tampa (4 picks) and if you watched the game you would know that only 2 of those were on him. He averaged less than one INT per game outside of Tampa.

Think before you post.

Fitz had one of his classic seasons - just enough performance to convince the fan base he could win, then rips the rug out from under their feet in clutch moments.

That being said, if he was our QB for all of this last season, we would have made the playoffs

If you think EJ has an INT problem you have your head in the sand. The guy only threw 10 picks on almost 400 throws his senior year, and did an outstanding job this year as an nfl rookie.

His only bad game was Tampa (4 picks) and if you watched the game you would know that only 2 of those were on him. He averaged less than one INT per game outside of Tampa.

Think before you post.

And then there's the problem of comparing the rookie's interception percentage with that of a 9-year veteran.

Amusingly, the rookie's percentage was lower.

Think before you post.

Couple of things...

For obvious reasons, college stats are irrelevant for this discussion. EJ looked like a much different player against the ACC.

Take away Fitz's Indy game and he too had less than an int per game, but that's not how stas are kept (nor is that a stat that is kept).

You take pains to tell us that some of EJs nits were not his fault, yet you make no such qualification for Fitz's ints. Why is that?

Couple of things...

For obvious reasons, college stats are irrelevant for this discussion. EJ looked like a much different player against the ACC.

Take away Fitz's Indy game and he too had less than an int per game, but that's not how stas are kept (nor is that a stat that is kept).

You take pains to tell us that some of EJs nits were not his fault, yet you make no such qualification for Fitz's ints. Why is that?

Ryan Fitzpatrick's career interception percentage is actually higher than the one he had last year (that you posted).

In 2013 it was 3.4%.

For his career it is 3.6%.

EJ's interception percentage as a rookie was 2.9%.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Ryan Fitzpatrick's career interception percentage is actually higher than the one he had last year (that you posted).

In 2013 it was 3.4%.

For his career it is 3.6%.

EJ's interception percentage as a rookie was 2.9%.

.....and in Buffalo it was 3.7% (ranging from 4.4% to 3.2%).

Fitz had one of his classic seasons - just enough performance to convince the fan base he could win, then rips the rug out from under their feet in clutch moments.

That being said, if he was our QB for all of this last season, we would have made the playoffs

(Cue Mora voice) Playoffs? Playoffs?C'mon, man!!! Fitzpatrick will NEVER lead any team to the playoffs. Your statement to the contrary is unfounded and is not remotely based in fact. Sure, Fitz will catch lightning in a bottle and win a few games, but the playoffs? Where has Fitz EVER been a winner?

Fitzy is a good guy, no question. He'll never say anything stupid in front of a mic. I would doubt you'd catch him out at a strip club at 2am. He's an extremely bright guy. That being said, he just doesn't have decision-making skills and arm to make all the throws needed to be a starting NFL QB. It's not a knock on him as a person at all, but he just doesn't have it. He could be a good backup now that he's got a lot of experience, but not for more than 2-3 games.

Well, yeah, but so were the total # of passes thrown. Not that the comparison makes any sense in any event, but just sayin'

To that I would say that Fitz' numbers are Fitz' numbers. After 9 seasons, they aren't gonna deviate much from what they are.

As for EJ, 300 passes is a pretty good sample size and he was a rookie so I think you just have to say that he did a good job of avoiding picks.

When you add that this was one of his proficiencies in college, I think it's safe to say that he'll do a good job of not throwing interceptions.

Now if one were to say that Fitz' percentage is higher because he's more of a high risk-high reward thrower, I'd agree.

To that I would say that Fitz' numbers are Fitz' numbers. After 9 seasons, they aren't gonna deviate much from what they are.

As for EJ, 300 passes is a pretty good sample size and he was a rookie so I think you just have to say that he did a good job of avoiding picks.

When you add that this was one of his proficiencies in college, I think it's safe to say that he'll do a good job of not throwing interceptions.

Now if one were to say that Fitz' percentage is higher because he's more of a high risk-high reward thrower, I'd agree.

If Fitz only threw one pick a game, you knew it was going to come in the 4th quarter with the outcome in question.

I wonder....can thousands of people thinking the exact same thing at exactly the same time will it to happen?

If Fitz only threw one pick a game, you knew it was going to come in the 4th quarter with the outcome in question.

I wonder....can thousands of people thinking the exact same thing at exactly the same time will it to happen?

Well we always wish and hope on our beloved Bills and that doesn't seem to have had much of an effect.

:D

Anyways, hope 2014 is a better year for all of us.

Happy New Year, T.

Hi SJBF, to that last, that was exactly my point. Fitz INT percentage is higher because he's more of a "gunslinger", high-risk, high-reward type thrower. Neither B'lo while Fitz was here, nor the Flaming Thumbtacks, were high percentage run teams.

EJ's INT percentage is lower, but to many eyes (mine included), all too often, he gave up on the play too early and ran. Often, he simply failed to take a shot downfield to an open WR.

If he's going to become the elite QB we hope he will, he needs to take some of those shots, and some of them will turn out to be mistakes (picks). He also needs to learn patience, learn to use his feet to extend the play and make the pass rather than "spin move and run" which he exhibited enough that there's plenty of tape on it and opposing defenses are waiting to nail him now. And the Bills need to open the playbook (to be able to open the playbook for him, perhaps)

Thus, the jury is still out on what kind of accuracy a less conservative, less "ready to run" EJ will demonstrate as he develops at the NFL level, whereas Fitz at this point "is what he is" (I agree with you there). Which is why I say the comparison doesn't make sense at this point.

Edited by Hopeful

Munchak was offered and extension but he did not want to make the staff changes his employer required. He pulled a Wade and was loyal to those men so now he is out of work. Fitz did the best he could in a back up role. Next season he resume his role on the bench. If you look at all the back up QBs in the NFL, Fitz is one of the more reliable ones. You know what you get with him. Coach killer he is not but just an average QB.

Well I'd go so far as to say that EJ will have a lower interception percentage than Fitz when the smoke clears on his career.

Hopefully he becomes a more aggressive passer as well.

I hope you're right on the lower INT percentage, but if he doesn't become a more confident (I like that word, confident. Not aggressive, confident) passer and willing to use his feet to extend the play, I fear he will not be The Man we all want him to be but rather just another notch on the Bills Failed QB yardstick.

You can have a zero INT percentage if you never take a shot, and what good is that?

(Cue Mora voice) Playoffs? Playoffs?C'mon, man!!! Fitzpatrick will NEVER lead any team to the playoffs. Your statement to the contrary is unfounded and is not remotely based in fact. Sure, Fitz will catch lightning in a bottle and win a few games, but the playoffs? Where has Fitz EVER been a winner?

Tuel straight up cost us the Browns and Chiefs games. 2 wins and we are 8-8. Those are gimmes if you just had a QB with a 60-70 rating.

EJ and Lewis were at best slightly below average, QB ratings off 77.7 and 81 respectively. Fitz had a 82 QB rating, which is about his long-term average as a starter with the Bills. With 2 overtime games and other close 4th quarter games that might have been good for another win. I'm not saying I want Fitz to be the long-term starter by any means, just that, if we had Fitz there's a good shot we'd be 9-7 or 8-8 and probably in the playoffs.