Texans Hire Bill O'Brien as Their Next Head Coach

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what irks me, as well. I don't understand how these college coaches can be so deceitful.

Don't make any promises if you aren't going to keep them.

What are they supposed to say in interviews or to recruits? "Maybe I'll be back, I'm hoping to go pro but we will see what happens"

It's a tough spot. It frustrates me but I have a hard time staying mad.

He pulled the PSU football program out of the dumpster, but he's a traitor? You make no sense.

job wasn't done yet, who says the next guy can convince the recruits to stay or commit.

It is different for the student athletes as their peers. They are shopping for a school to fit their needs and sometimes the first choice is the wrong one for them. Plenty of students transfers for academic and other reasons. I don't rip on them. The coaches are promising the young men that he will be there to help develop, mentor and coach them. These adult men have no honor because their word means nothing. How about when they pull scholarships for no reason? So when they dump on the students and flee to the next job all I feel is contempt for these men and sympathy for these kids.

This @ 26

job wasn't done yet, who says the next guy can convince the recruits to stay or commit.

He took a job not knowing what recruits would stay or go and how much the sanctions would influence his recruiting in the future. If you want to crusade against college coaches there are better targets than O'Brien.

What are they supposed to say in interviews or to recruits? "Maybe I'll be back, I'm hoping to go pro but we will see what happens"

It's a tough spot. It frustrates me but I have a hard time staying mad.

I think there is an ethical and persuasive way to do it. You say, "I am committed to the program, but I take each day one day at a time. I am not going to make any promises to you, just like I don't expect you to promise to stay here 4 years if the nfl scouts think you should go pro early."

Maybe I am wrong, but I think recruits would respect that honesty.

I think there is an ethical and persuasive way to do it. You say, "I am committed to the program, but I take each day one day at a time. I am not going to make any promises to you, just like I don't expect you to promise to stay here 4 years if the nfl scouts think you should go pro early."

Maybe I am wrong, but I think recruits would respect that honesty.

Do you think that any player takes a coaches statements as anything other than what you just wrote? When your boss asks about your future do you say your commitment to the company is one day at a time til something better arrives?

Do you think that any player takes a coaches statements as anything other than what you just wrote? When your boss asks about your future do you say your commitment to the company is one day at a time til something better arrives?

But the issue I have is the guy is supposedly telling recruits, "don't listen to the rumors. I am not taking that job." That's just a bold face lie.

But the issue I have is the guy is supposedly telling recruits, "don't listen to the rumors. I am not taking that job." That's just a bold face lie.

Are you sure?

Maybe at the time he said it, it was 100% true.

All we see is the end result.

We have no idea what was happening at the time the statement was made and what happened afterwards.

With the big buyout money PSU received, they can afford a quality coach to replace him.

Ironically, they basically had Obrien for free for 2 years.

The names emerging are

1. James Framklin, Vandy

2. Greg Schiano

3. Mike Muncak

4. Al Golden, Miami

Those seem to be the big 4....with some thought Greg Roman SF-OC might be considered, but he is Obrien 2.0 with nfl aspirations. Also Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern has been considered.

One thing I know, if this is anything like last time, we won't know squat until its announced. Nobody even knew Obrien was a candidate until it was announced he got the job.

Me, I'm pulling for Franklin, Fitzgerald and Golden.

Are you sure?

Maybe at the time he said it, it was 100% true.

All we see is the end result.

We have no idea what was happening at the time the statement was made and what happened afterwards.

You might be right; I have no idea. It just seemed deceptive to me, and if you aren't sure or you plan on interviewing with other teams, then you should avoid making any promises.

But I guess who am I kidding-- all of these college coaches are like this and will always be like this.

You might be right; I have no idea. It just seemed deceptive to me, and if you aren't sure or you plan on interviewing with other teams, then you should avoid making any promises.

But I guess who am I kidding-- all of these college coaches are like this and will always be like this.

I'm sure the entire program prefers he say he's there 100% until pen hits paper. That he was interviewing for the second year in a row wasn't a secret to you or I, it wasn't a secret to these kids....would it make him more honest if he was lying to the job offers saying he was in play if he wasn't and was just leveraging the offers?

It's a tough spot but it's a business, and a job as much as we like to think of college coaches as mentors. While it doesn't feel good sometimes, I also get why it's the way it is. Especially when every word that's short of 100% committed gets back to the media and makes your ability to stay much harder if that's what you choose. Reporters, other coaches will all use even a firm "I'm very happy and want to stay here but willing to listen" against you as dodging a commitment.

Edited by NoSaint

How is this different from the Marrone situation last year? He resurrected a struggling Syracuse program, then left for the NFL which most likely left some of his Syracuse players, recruits and fans confused and unhappy.

I know, I know, Syracuse isn't the same as Penn State, and the Syracuse program was doing well but not great when Marrone left, but I still believe the situations are similar.

Shefter is a bum. A week ago he was finally "able to report" that Obrien reduced his buyout making him more attractive to nfl teams. While grew, this was not breaking news, and not worthy of espn's home screen. Anyone following penn state knew this 6 months ago.

Schefter fluff piece: http://espn.go.com/b...widens-nfl-door

Real story from June: http://profootballta...r-an-nfl-owner/

The. Schefter comes out and says Obrien is the top guy and they are working on a deal (http://espn.go.com/n...xans-head-coach)

Then the owner of the texans says: not true. More interviews coming. http://profootballta...view-next-week/

Obrien tells 5 star recruits recruits and star QB not true. I'm staying.

http://www.blackshoe...tian-hackenberg

Ten penn state picks up a new 3 star commit http://victorybellri...-add-3-star-ol/

Now the are interviewing wisenhunt, and people think its because talks broke down... This is ALL espn spin. It's house of cards...nfl style. Which coincidentally would make a great miniseries somewhere.

Based on everything I think i know of Obrien, the man is not going anywhere. Last year he did basically the same thing, telling his recruits he is not going anywhere. http://www.pennlive....ng_at_penn.html

I gotta believe this is all smokescreens (by all parties). http://profootballta...ons/. I'll believe it when it's announced. Not until then.

I love it when posters go "all in".

@JasonPhilCole

Awesome column with insight into why Bill O'Brien left Penn State for #Texans: http://tinyurl.com/onb3nck

That is a great article. Penn State sounds like a nightmare. The cancer that Paterno became to that school lives on in his looney boosters. The whole place seems dilusional with their "Penn State way". Their descent from football elite began years ago under Joe Pa. Time and exciting football have passed them by.....

I had a professor who gave a great lecture on "Right vs Reality". That would be the 'right' thing to do, but the reality is that it would have sabotaged the university and he would have been trashed up and down for tanking the program on his exit.