Texans Hire Bill O'Brien as Their Next Head Coach

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ironically, they basically had Obrien for free for 2 years.

The names emerging are

1. James Framklin, Vandy

2. Greg Schiano

3. Mike Munchak

4. Al Golden, Miami

Those seem to be the big 4....with some thought Greg Roman SF-OC might be considered, but he is Obrien 2.0 with nfl aspirations. Also Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern has been considered.

One thing I know, if this is anything like last time, we won't know squat until its announced. Nobody even knew Obrien was a candidate until it was announced he got the job.

Me, I'm pulling for Franklin, Fitzgerald and Golden.

What's interesting is that Munchak is still the coach of the Titans.

I haven't heard when Munchak's scheduled to meet with the sons of Bud Adams or whoever is running that franchise.

I love it when posters go "all in".

That is a great article. Penn State sounds like a nightmare. The cancer that Paterno became to that school lives on in his looney boosters. The whole place seems dilusional with their "Penn State way". Their descent from football elite began years ago under Joe Pa. Time and exciting football have passed them by.....

Ya know, its crazy...that "Penn State Way". The thought that somehow student athletes can get a good eductation, graduate, and be productive members of society...and while they are in school manage to participate in a highly successful and ethical football program that has NEVER had even a minor NCAA violation (yes, even today). Thats the "Penn State Way" that I subscribe to, regardless if it is Paterno, O'Brien, or whomever at the helm. If thats not the model the NCAA wants...then the NCAA isnt doing its job (which...I guess...sadly...is not really even debatable).

Ya know, its crazy...that "Penn State Way". The thought that somehow student athletes can get a good eductation, graduate, and be productive members of society...and while they are in school manage to participate in a highly successful and ethical football program that has NEVER had even a minor NCAA violation (yes, even today). Thats the "Penn State Way" that I subscribe to, regardless if it is Paterno, O'Brien, or whomever at the helm. If thats not the model the NCAA wants...then the NCAA isnt doing its job (which...I guess...sadly...is not really even debatable).

Google joe paterno covers up for players..

"Vicky Triponey, a former Penn State standards and conduct officer, wrote an email in 2005 to the PSU president at the time Graham Spanier. The email described how she felt that football players got special treatment for their misbehaving. One line in particular alludes to his actions in 2002 against Sandusky: "Coach Paterno would rather we NOT inform the public when a football player is found responsible for committing a serious violation of the law and/or our student code," she wrote, "despite any moral or legal obligation to do so"

No violations of NCAA rules, but the same law enforcement stuff all big programs engage in.

Penn St folks may eat up that stuff with a fork and spoon, but Joe ran that school--especially during the time his buddy was showering with little boys in Joe's locker room.

"Vicky Triponey, a former Penn State standards and conduct officer, wrote an email in 2005 to the PSU president at the time Graham Spanier. The email described how she felt that football players got special treatment for their misbehaving. One line in particular alludes to his actions in 2002 against Sandusky: "Coach Paterno would rather we NOT inform the public when a football player is found responsible for committing a serious violation of the law and/or our student code," she wrote, "despite any moral or legal obligation to do so"

No violations of NCAA rules, but the same law enforcement stuff all big programs engage in.

Penn St folks may eat up that stuff with a fork and spoon, but Joe ran that school--especially during the time his buddy was showering with little boys in Joe's locker room.

While I love the ideals that are tossed around, as you point out, even Pre-Sandusky there were a whole lot of cracks in the foundation of that ivory tower. I hope that despite obvious short comings that those ideals weren't simply 100% BS but to Jimbob I have to say its hard to say with any certainty that Penn state actually valued much of that or simply coupled a great marketing dept with a great job covering things up. Truth is likely somewhere in the middle.

Bill O’Brien blasted ‘Paterno people’ before leaving Penn State

http://ftw.usatoday....enn-state-rant/

Not surprised at all.

It's like replacing a legendary QB. You don't want to be the guy replacing the QB. You want to be the guy that replaces the guy that replaces the QB.

The specter of Joe Paterno looms large at PSU, needless to say.

GO BILLS!!!

Off topic a bit, but why should ANY university announce publicly ANY student who violates the law (or even worse, the student code)?

Also off-topic, but I cant stand how Vickey Triponey is being painted as "The Woman who stood up to Paterno". Truth is, she was a power hungry, snake, who was terrible at her job (and this comment has NOTHING to do with Paterno or Football). She was fired for her power grabs, eliminating critical student organizations, and her sheer incompetence...oh, and her ability to tick off anyone who ever crossed her path.

Here is her "timeline of terror" http://safeguardoldstate.org/the-vicky-triponey-timeline-of-terror/

Not saying Paterno was a saint, or that he didnt try to protect his players whenever he could, but anything Triponey says/does/did is suspect with me due to her known behaviors on non-football related issues.