Texans Hire Bill O'Brien as Their Next Head Coach

26CornerBlitz

Report: Penn State coach Bill O’Brien to interview with Houston Texans

Penn State coach Bill O'Brien is set to interview with the Houston Texans for their head coaching vacancy, per NFL Network.

O'Brien has been at Penn State for two years after he was the offensive coordinator for the New England Patriots. According to NFL Network's Ian Rappoport, the interview is scheduled for after Christmas -- meaning it could have already taken place.

Earlier this year, O'Brien's buyout for an NFL job was reduced from $13 million to $6.5 million. That's certainly a number much more palatable to NFL teams.

Update: @AdamSchefter

Filed to ESPN from me and @mortreport: Bill O'Brien has reached agreement to become the new head coach of the

Houston Texans, per sources.

@McClain_on_NFL

Bill O'Brien's introductory news conference is Friday at 11.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't see him Leaving that school with all the Kids who stayed and the recruits who committed like Hackenberg. You would have to be a self centered, no character guys to leave right now.

To become an nfl head coach, there are probably a lot of overlapping characteristics- success at all costs, putting his own progress above the well being of those around him etc.... As a coach we call it a hard worker instead of a workaholic, and dedicated instead of self centered... But they are very fine lines.

I just don't see him Leaving that school with all the Kids who stayed and the recruits who committed like Hackenberg. You would have to be a self centered, no character guys to leave right now.

LOL. The kids are expected to be committed. The coaches grab the next big offer and split.

Curious, what makes O'Brien so coveted?

I agree it would be pretty lame for him to take the job, talk a lot of players into staying and going there then leave after two years.

He also has a disabled son who from what I read goes to a special school in the area that the family is happy with so although it wouldn't be completely shocking I don't see him leaving this year. This could be a ploy to get a raise

Edited by Max997

LOL. The kids are expected to be committed. The coaches grab the next big offer and split.

Curious, what makes O'Brien so coveted?

PSU should have been crippled by the sanctions and ensuing exodus of recruits but went 15-9 over his two seasons. I would say that is a pretty solid job.

Just got two texts from espn saying O'Brien is working on deal to become Texans coach. Shame on you Bill, those kids were there for you, now you are dumping them. You could have built something special in college station but now you are going to be 3 and out in Houston. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

According to Bleacher Report, a couple of big recruits said they spoke to OBrien and he said it wasn't true......we shall see.

If he wants to be a head coach at the NFL level he would be hard pressed to ever finding a better situation.

Houston has talent to turn around quickly and it will be easy to impress the faithful because Kubiak have grossly underachieved for years and Bridgewater can come in and take a good team to the playoffs as a rookie.

A division with Luck and Bridgewater and two struggling teams(Tenn and Jax) is a recipe for two teams to make the playoffs.

Houston couldn't have had a better interim coach to make a bad thing worse than the epically inattentive to detail Wade Phillips. He can take SB talent to the wild card round so running a team thats down COMPLETELY into the ground is no problem for him.

O'Brien should take it.

If he wants to be a head coach at the NFL level he would be hard pressed to ever finding a better situation.

Houston has talent to turn around quickly and it will be easy to impress the faithful because Kubiak have grossly underachieved for years and Bridgewater can come in and take a good team to the playoffs as a rookie.

A division with Luck and Bridgewater and two struggling teams(Tenn and Jax) is a recipe for two teams to make the playoffs.

Houston couldn't have had a better interim coach to make a bad thing worse than the epically inattentive to detail Wade Phillips. He can take SB talent to the wild card round so running a team thats down COMPLETELY into the ground is no problem for him.

O'Brien should take it.

I think you're right. And if he passes on it, then it's clear he's going to stick it out at penn state until they are back to being an elite program.

A couple comments on this.

1. While his 15-9 record is not great, he kept the team together, and continued the psu tradition of success with honor. His intangibles are through the roof.

2. Matt Mcgloin was a worthless scrub walkon QB (and a bad one) until Obrien. Now he is the starter for the raiders. This is nothing short of a miracle for anyone who saw mcgloin pre Obrien.

3. Obrien needs more time learning to be a head coach. His in game management is very poor.

4. He is a man of extreme integrity. He has promised his kids will stay at psu for 4 years (min). As recently as today he has told recruits "ignore the noise, I'm staying at penn state"

5. One of his kids is disabled and requires significant care. The penn state area is one of the top areas in the country for the care he needs. Coincidentally, Houston is also very good, but it is possible no amount of money will be enough to change health care providers again.

6. He has a 6m buyout at penn state. That is significant for any nfl team to pay for an unproven coach.

All things considered, I'd take a chance on him if I was an nfl team. But I think all parties would be better suited if he stayed in the college game for a couple more years.

A couple comments on this.

1. While his 15-9 record is not great, he kept the team together, and continued the psu tradition of success with honor. His intangibles are through the roof.

2. Matt Mcgloin was a worthless scrub walkon QB (and a bad one) until Obrien. Now he is the starter for the raiders. This is nothing short of a miracle for anyone who saw mcgloin pre Obrien.

3. Obrien needs more time learning to be a head coach. His in game management is very poor.

4. He is a man of extreme integrity. He has promised his kids will stay at psu for 4 years (min). As recently as today he has told recruits "ignore the noise, I'm staying at penn state"

5. One of his kids is disabled and requires significant care. The penn state area is one of the top areas in the country for the care he needs. Coincidentally, Houston is also very good, but it is possible no amount of money will be enough to change health care providers again.

6. He has a 6m buyout at penn state. That is significant for any nfl team to pay for an unproven coach.

All things considered, I'd take a chance on him if I was an nfl team. But I think all parties would be better suited if he stayed in the college game for a couple more years.

I think he just got benched for horrible TP. Anyway, I didn't know about his child. That is significant. Quite the buyout too especially for as you say an unproven guy.

I think he just got benched for horrible TP. Anyway, I didn't know about his child. That is significant. Quite the buyout too especially for as you say an unproven guy.

Well...true...although I would argue that mcgloin didn't really play his way out of the job. He played decent enough. Probably Better than Manuel this year.

Regardless, if you asked me 2 years ago, I would have said mcgloin was a 3rd stringer at penn state, with ZERO chance at an nfl practice squad. Instead he broke penn state records after Obrien came on. It's stunning he STARTED an nfl game this year. 5 star qbs are lining up at penn state because of mcgloin and Obrien, who is getting the reputation as a great QB coach.

I think the tea leaves are lined up that he states at penn state this year. But i can see where this Houston job is tempting. But at the end of the day, I think Houston goes with lovie smith.