Texans Hire Bill O'Brien as Their Next Head Coach

26CornerBlitz

What "football resources" don't they have at Penn State?

Good question...and i cant really intellegently debate this...but from what i gather, the recruiting budget, # of recruiting staff members, and some facilities are not up to par with top football schools. There has also been a reluctance from the administration to do anything positive for the football program for 2 years due to the scandal.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont want to turn this into mcgloin vs manual...but...

EJ: 180/306 58.8%

MM: 118/211 55.9%

EJ: 11TDs in 10 Games

MM: 8 TDs in 7 Games

EJ: 1,979 yards, 6.44 avg

MM: 1,547 yards, 7.33 avg

EJ: 77.7 rtg; 42.3 QBR

MM: 76.1 rtg; 49.5 QBR

Honestly, 2013 as a guide...the two were pretty damn similar in stats.

On O'Brien...the PSU channels are extremely quiet. Recruits who previously said "obrien told me today he was staying, ignore the noise" are now backing away, and all of them are using the same terminology "i have spoke to obrien and i am comfortable with the situation". almost appears as if it is talking points, and someone told them to back off on their rheteric. Other reports indicate obrien is negotiating with PSU *AND* houston, and that his demands of PSU are minor. The biggest sticking point appears to not be money, but additional football resources, which the university is afraid of providing in fear of stoking the "football culture" issue.

This sounds like a big bold power play by obrien against the PSU administration (which does not have alumni support i might add). I am about 60% sure he stays at PSU. Today should be interesting.

The numbers are fine, but I watched both play and sorry, the eye test tells me otherwise. JMO... as always.

Sounds like he tried to pressure penn state into some things without any intent on leaving, but is now sitting on a VERY good offer, and is conflicted...get your popcorn ready.

if the earlier reference to shanahan money was even in the ballpark... that would make for quite the decision.

if the earlier reference to shanahan money was even in the ballpark... that would make for quite the decision.

I dont know how you begin to make that decision. He has (likely) a job for life at PSU if he wants it...or potentially only 2-3 years in Houston, then toiling around as an OC or lesser college HC if it doesnt work out. Short term money may not beat long term money at PSU. But i guess you have to believe you will be successful wherever you go, or you wuoldnt be a college/nfl head coach.

I dont know how you begin to make that decision. He has (likely) a job for life at PSU if he wants it...or potentially only 2-3 years in Houston, then toiling around as an OC or lesser college HC if it doesnt work out. Short term money may not beat long term money at PSU. But i guess you have to believe you will be successful wherever you go, or you wuoldnt be a college/nfl head coach.

I would go for the quality of life. I am willing to bet he will have a much better quality of life as a coach at PSY-- nice college town, job security, good money, better hours.

I would go for the quality of life. I am willing to bet he will have a much better quality of life as a coach at PSY-- nice college town, job security, good money, better hours.

His sons medical care is also a HUGE factor. But I think Houston is one of the places that can compete with Penn State on that front.

His sons medical care is also a HUGE factor. But I think Houston is one of the places that can compete with Penn State on that front.

O'Brien has set himself up perfectly at PSU. He showed real character in taking the job with the sanctions in place. Then he exceeded everyone's expectations. He has set himself up to almost have 100% job security, and build PSU into an elite program, giving himself a great legacy.

He could go to Houston, win a Super Bowl, and probably still end up worse in the long-term than if he stays at PSU.

his pay bounces around between 1m-2m per year currently right? if so, hed be the lowest paid HC in the NFL. if the shanahan comment is true thats 5 years 35m. id guess its shy of THAT being offered.... but still.... especially if youve dreamed of being an NFL head coach, hoisting the lombardi, etc... while no doubt being in his current situation sounds great, i think many coaches dream bigger that simply comfortable in order to get as far as they do.

Edited by NoSaint

his pay bounces around between 1m-2m per year currently right? if so, hed be the lowest paid HC in the NFL. if the shanahan comment is true thats 5 years 35m. id guess its shy of THAT being offered.... but still.... especially if youve dreamed of being an NFL head coach, hoisting the lombardi, etc... while no doubt being in his current situation sounds great, i think many coaches dream bigger that simply comfortable in order to get as far as they do.

He made $3.2M in 2013. but it looks like it is giong down in 2014...I would expect a new contract if he stays at PSU in the 3-4M/year range.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9407519/bill-obrien-penn-state-nittany-lions-gets-pay-raise

4M/year for 20 years (if he wants to stay that long) = $80M

7M/year for 5 years + $2M for 15 years =$65M

Its a tough decision any way you slice it.

I think just about any major city can compete with Penn State in providing better medical care....

O'Brien has set himself up perfectly at PSU. He showed real character in taking the job with the sanctions in place. Then he exceeded everyone's expectations. He has set himself up to almost have 100% job security, and build PSU into an elite program, giving himself a great legacy.

He could go to Houston, win a Super Bowl, and probably still end up worse in the long-term than if he stays at PSU.

The days of "coach for life" at PSU died with Joe Pa. Everyone there sees the obvious problems that kind of culture bred. PSU's days as an elite program (top 5 or 10) over also.

I think just about any major city can compete with Penn State in providing better medical care....

The days of "coach for life" at PSU died with Joe Pa. Everyone there sees the obvious problems that kind of culture bred. PSU's days as an elite program (top 5 or 10) over also.

Bogus. Regardless if they can even compete from a medical perspective, changing doctors & treatment centers is a HUGE deal for this kind of thing.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/26/obrien-may-not-be-a-sure-thing-to-jump-to-nfl/

"O’Brien wouldn’t be the first (or the last) football coach to say one thing and done another, and it would be hard to fault him for making a money grab at the next level. But family considerations also come into play, given that O’Brien’s 11-year-old son, Jack, has a medical condition that prevents him from walking or talking and results in near-daily seizures. The O’Briens reportedly have a high degree of comfort with the local medical care Jack is receiving and the elementary school Jack is attending; uprooting him from that while at the same time finding an acceptable replacement in a new city will present a considerable challenge."

He made $3.2M in 2013. but it looks like it is giong down in 2014...I would expect a new contract if he stays at PSU in the 3-4M/year range.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9407519/bill-obrien-penn-state-nittany-lions-gets-pay-raise

4M/year for 20 years (if he wants to stay that long) = $80M

7M/year for 5 years + $2M for 15 years =$65M

Its a tough decision any way you slice it.

well, unless he succeeds at the next stop, or gets another chance at either a big school or the NFL.

but general agreement that it can be a tough spot - especially when you factor in family, and the crazy idea that he might care about promises to players, etc.... i just think you are leaning a little to heavy on being a penn state fan in selling the position. who knows in his head though.

Just got two texts from espn saying O'Brien is working on deal to become Texans coach. Shame on you Bill, those kids were there for you, now you are dumping them. You could have built something special in college station but now you are going to be 3 and out in Houston. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Dont judge.

Bogus. Regardless if they can even compete from a medical perspective, changing doctors & treatment centers is a HUGE deal for this kind of thing.

http://profootballta...to-jump-to-nfl/

"O’Brien wouldn’t be the first (or the last) football coach to say one thing and done another, and it would be hard to fault him for making a money grab at the next level. But family considerations also come into play, given that O’Brien’s 11-year-old son, Jack, has a medical condition that prevents him from walking or talking and results in near-daily seizures. The O’Briens reportedly have a high degree of comfort with the local medical care Jack is receiving and the elementary school Jack is attending; uprooting him from that while at the same time finding an acceptable replacement in a new city will present a considerable challenge."

I agree changing doctors and health care team can be a big decision. However, you claimed that Houston was one of the "few places that could compete" with Penn State as far as medical care. This just isn't true. It's a decent regional health system, but that's it.