What's the magic answer?

Dorkington

Last year and over the off season, many said the following changes were guaranteed to bring us more wins, and even the playoffs!

Replace Fitz - He, alone, was responsible for our offensive woes. Replacing him with a first round QB, and a solid vet would bring us success on offense. Drafted EJ, signed Kolb... and our offense has been roughly the same, and even worse in some metrics.

Fire Chan! - Chan is a softie. He's too old for the modern NFL. He doesn't know how to use his offensive weapons. Replacing him with an up and coming, no nonsense coach will result in our team being relevant. We hired some guy named Marrone... a plain spoken, package offense, no bull **** coach. Same record, maybe he needs to curse some more?

New Defensive Coordinator! - Stache was the worst. The guy before him was even worse! And the guy before that? UGH. We need a new, new guy! A guy that can get us pressure on the QB! Stop the run! In comes Pettine. Granted our defense has improved... we get more sacks and interceptions! But teams still, on average, have no real problems scoring on us. Scores are what counts, right? Or is it entertainment?

New Middle Linebacker! - Oh god, that guy last year... what was his name? Sheppard or something. Let's draft a stud! Legend of KIKO ALONSO time! Hey, also improved! Awesome! But wait... we're still 20th-ish in run defense, hm. He made a sweet leap over the pile though, that was cool.

----

Ok, that was mostly tongue in cheek. It's just frustrating that we do all the things we "needed" to do last off season, and still find ourselves at 6-10. What do we do next? Replace the cheerleaders?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We wait with patience for the team to develop under it's new players, coaches, and schemes, that's what. It takes time for rookie QBs to develop, and it takes time for teams to adjust and become comfortable with new schemes. Does anyone not think that our defense is going to be even better next year, with a full year of Pettine's scheme under their belts? They're just getting started.

The magic answer is that there is no magic answer. The Bills have sucked for a very VERY long time and sadly it is going to take some time to get back to respectability. Unless Manuel somehow transforms into the second coming of Jim Kelly this offseason and Spiller becomes an every down back, that's just the way it is.

The magic answer is player selection and retention. The Bills had a good draft and picked up some nice pieces in trades and UFDA.

If they can keep it up, resign who they should and EJ improves this team will be a playoff contender.

Coaching is important but show me good players and I will show you a good coach, especially true with QBs.

Ps new cheerleaders are always a good idea.

Experience for the youger players in the system and WINNING. Winning brings confidence all across the board and the guys begin to buy into the systems that are in place. A lot of that hinges on the developement of our QB. Hopefully we have one who does on the roster. The defense is having a great deal of success and you are seeing the growth in our players right now. Hopefully the defense keeps it rolling and the offense rounds into form next year.

Edited by H2o

The magic answer is that there is no magic answer. The Bills have sucked for a very VERY long time and sadly it is going to take some time to get back to respectability. Unless Manuel somehow transforms into the second coming of Jim Kelly this offseason and Spiller becomes an every down back, that's just the way it is.

Could not have said it better; they have been a bad organization - Drafting, Scouting, FO, FA, coaching - for over ten years.

There is what WE know. The collective fan who watches from afar in the bleachers on our couches. WE knew Chan and Fitz were not the answer to a championship team. Looking back now it is still pretty safe to assume that thinking to be correct. WE knew Wannstadt was not up to speed with current NFL defenses, despite the year before being so panicked for an answer we rejoiced at landing him.

This team makes a lot of mistakes and that's just up there with the rest of the league. But, if you look at it WE do not really know that much when it comes down to it. WE said Dareus was a bust, were ready to cut Chandler for Lee Smith, Gragg, and Caussin, and most importantly thought someone like Lynch was never going to get his head out of his butt and/or have a solid NFL career.

As a collective, the fan base doesn't know enough about the entire league or have the ability or insight to make the best calls. Otherwise, we'd have Chan as OC, ??? at HC, Pettine as DC and Bobby April or Crossman was it? at ST.

Keep doing what they are doing. Thats the magic answer. The had a very good draft. The defense is dramatically better thanks to Pettine. The offense needs a tackle, a guard, a receiver, and a tightend. If they could fill two or three of those holes this offseason theyd be in good shape. Im as confident as I ever have been in this front office since Polian left primarily because it looks like they can spot talent both in the draft and outside the draft(Jerry Hughes anyone?). The jury is still out on EJ but Woods, Alonzo, and Goodwin all look like they will be very good players for a long time. Another good draft added to the current roster plus a free agent or two and we should be a playoff team.

Patience....

We almost there on D. One more stud OLB like Kiko.

Oline needs some upgrading. Better QB play from E.J. ( which might happen)

I have confidence that Wailey will get it done THIS off-season.

Heck , I expect the playoffs next year. They would have made a serious run this year if not for injuries,turnovers at key times.

This one is easy.

Bring back the 90s uniforms and the red helmets. The Bills and the NFL made the decision to change uniforms in late 2000, to be unveiled in 2002. The die was cast.

Hire Dick Enberg for play by play. Whatever it costs.

In Madden 25, I simply replace TJ with CJ and dominate. I'm certain this would work in real life. Imagine Stevie, Woods, Chandler and CJ as passing targets with Freddie at HB! That's our best personnel in a powerful formation. One that has never been used by Hackett. Even Old Gailey Magoo was smart enough to pass to CJ.

Keep doing what they are doing. Thats the magic answer. The had a very good draft. The defense is dramatically better thanks to Pettine. The offense needs a tackle, a guard, a receiver, and a tightend. If they could fill two or three of those holes this offseason theyd be in good shape. Im as confident as I ever have been in this front office since Polian left primarily because it looks like they can spot talent both in the draft and outside the draft(Jerry Hughes anyone?). The jury is still out on EJ but Woods, Alonzo, and Goodwin all look like they will be very good players for a long time. Another good draft added to the current roster plus a free agent or two and we should be a playoff team.

this.. and the coaching staff building on what they've learned to improve productivity.

I can think of a few magic answers...

1. Replace Legursky and Pears on the offensive line. I'd spend 2 draft picks within the first four rounds on the offensive line, or spend 1 high pick and bring in a high quality free agent. Some people might disagree with me regarding Pears, but IMO he was wildly inconsistent this year. His run blocking was especially bad.

2. Bring in a legitimate #1 WR. A guy that is "open when he isn't open." Something this team has been lacking since Moulds. Mike Evans in the draft would be nice.

3. Bring in a legitimate QB coach to mentor EJ. Hackett is not that guy IMO.

4. We need to bring in a quality OLB to work with Kiko and Manny. Moats and Bradham are good back-ups/situational players...nothing more. I would like to see this done through FA so that we can draft offense, offense, offense.

5. Adding another pass catching TE would be nice, however, I personally do not see one worth drafting in the middle of the 1st.

6. Might seem like small potatoes, but we need a punter. Moorman was a band-aid (a terrible one at that), and we need a better player at that position. That said, I have tremendous respect for Moorman, and I hope he retires a Bill.

7. Find a way to adjust the offensive scheme such that CJ can get the ball in space. I realize that this has become cliche at this point, but really, it this that hard to figure out? Posts about CJ being a bust and trading him just make me sick. Most poorly utilized player in the NFL, IMO.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks