warmest temperature season in history

papazoid

i don't have any weather data, but this season's average outdoor temperature of all Bills home games has got to be the all time highest.

The big picture irony of this is that though the actual weather record is far too short to prove or disprove climate change theory (100+ years vs. 1000s of years which is a true indicator) it is the amazing real world record of weather pattern change which worries most folks that climate change theory does snot bode well for short-term survival of life as we know it.

Most normal folk understand that the stakes for inaction are incredibly high. Yet, most folks are not in charge and big money interests with short-term goals are in charge so we fiddle while the climate may literally burn. NFL stats like the weather record may well turn out to be interesting sidelights while we do nothing.

The big picture irony of this is that though the actual weather record is far too short to prove or disprove climate change theory (100+ years vs. 1000s of years which is a true indicator) it is the amazing real world record of weather pattern change which worries most folks that climate change theory does snot bode well for short-term survival of life as we know it.

Most normal folk understand that the stakes for inaction are incredibly high. Yet, most folks are not in charge and big money interests with short-term goals are in charge so we fiddle while the climate may literally burn. NFL stats like the weather record may well turn out to be interesting sidelights while we do nothing.

rest assured as long as the earth is here we will have all 4 seasons, planting and harvest.

rest assured as long as the earth is here we will have all 4 seasons, planting and harvest.

Uh, not if weather changes drastically. Plants and animals that survive have to adapt and/or successfully deal with the plant and animal life that would thrive in the alerted climate. Will some life thrive? Yes. Well it be the ones we want? Not necessarily.

FYI everything is glazed in ice in Depew this morning.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

i don't have any weather data, but this season's average outdoor temperature of all Bills home games has got to be the all time highest.

And I just saw a report this week on TV, of how the ice on the Great Lakes is early. It is threatening to reduce the shipping on the lakes. Guess it all depends where you are.

Uh, not if weather changes drastically. Plants and animals that survive have to adapt and/or successfully deal with the plant and animal life that would thrive in the alerted climate. Will some life thrive? Yes. Well it be the ones we want? Not necessarily.

FYI everything is glazed in ice in Depew this morning.

PTR

Haven't most life forms left Buffalo mainly because of the foul winters? Maybe if it gets a little more like Miami, people will flock to the Queen City once again.

But seriously folks, turn down the hysteria...if the Bills were playing on tuesday (21 degrees), this thread wouldn't have been posted. Also, the Bills haven't played in Buffalo for 5 weeks, so it should be no surprise that the "average hoem game temp" looks higher than memory serves.

This whole thing seems to me to offer a common sense approach if one choose to approach this logically rather than based on some doctrine. Does anyone know for sure (me or you) what will happen in the future?

Nope. Not for sure. We all have estimates or guesses, but no one knows the future.

Are there some actions which it is logical to take based on the fact no one knows for sure.

No, No and Yes.

1. Do not do radical things like sit in the dark ending the use of power.

2. Do not do somewhat radical things that might or might not be needed or even useful.

3. Yes do things that make you more efficient in and of themselves that also have the side effect of reducing carbon production.

What this means is that we currently do some things (massive subsidies to the oil companies for example when we should not be giving our tax dollars to these massive profitable companies) which there is no need for us to do, or we subsidize or allow pollution which hits hard lower income communities which we end up paying a lot economically to deal with relatively common impacts from air pollution.

The only folks one can virtually guarantee are wrong on this are folks who claim we should do everything (end all use or production of energy) or we should do nothing as the free market will handle all these problems.

The market is far from free as well capitalized forces simply need a check and balance on their activities. I do not trust guvamint, but I do not trust Exxon or British Petroleum either.

It is a mirage, lot of Bills games in late fall have been road games! And one in TOR.

This whole late FALL, has been cold, cold, COLD! Around the Great Lakes the water is freezing in record time! We do have a short warm spell now, if you consider being in the high 30's and rain/ice warm! Honestly, in 20+ years here in Chicago, I haven't seen the water in the river/canals and lake get this cold so fast... Water temp is 32 and ice is about 6" thick (lesser the last few days with rain and high 30's)! Some years we don't get anything but skim ice... For the whole winter... With the ice coming for a day and then burning off.

Now... It will only get worse since we are still on the "down swing" a little more past the solistice. We should be seeing lake temps in the high 30's and 40's now...

Is this winter shaping up like the late 1970's??? When the lakes froze early? You remember what happened in 1977 before The Blizzard... There was a slight thaw...

Any, we are entering the deep freeze again just before Christmas, temps, highs in the single digits, lows in the negatives! All the ice on the water will "knit" back up stronger! Temps are expected to recover, BUT not abover freezing too much.

Note... Some tour boats @ Navy Pier, Chicago, usually make it through the winter with their bubblers on... They are getting stuck in the ice and heading south (along the canals) for winter storage. We usually have a few yachts straggling around Christmas to head south to The Gulf... Not this year, if the yachts are there, they are stuck in the ice and their "plastic" hulls are being craned out of the water onto flatbed trucks to head south... Ice is becoming a problem all the way south on The Illinois Waterway above Peoria! Already width restrictions on tows. Locks are 110' feet wide and tows can make it in @ 108'... The restriction has been set @ 105' due to the forming ice shelf in the chambers...

Can anybody give me a scouting report on what Lake Erie is doing... I haven't been to Buffalo in about a month. It has gotta be the same, 32 degrees, w/ice forming.

Again, this mini-thaw is a mirage unless the weather pattern really changes!

Haven't most life forms left Buffalo mainly because of the foul winters? Maybe if it gets a little more like Miami, people will flock to the Queen City once again.

But seriously folks, turn down the hysteria...if the Bills were playing on tuesday (21 degrees), this thread wouldn't have been posted. Also, the Bills haven't played in Buffalo for 5 weeks, so it should be no surprise that the "average hoem game temp" looks higher than memory serves.

I hate to say it, but you are spot on! ;-)

BINGO! We have a winner. Johnny, tell... Mr. WEO what they have won!

Sorry... It is only a ham sandwhich! Because you defend those cheaters from the other end of I-90. ;-P ;-P

It is a mirage, lot of Bills games in late fall have been road games! And one in TOR.

This whole late FALL, has been cold, cold, COLD! Around the Great Lakes the water is freezing in record time! We do have a short warm spell now, if you consider being in the high 30's and rain/ice warm! Honestly, in 20+ years here in Chicago, I haven't seen the water in the river/canals and lake get this cold so fast... Water temp is 32 and ice is about 6" thick (lesser the last few days with rain and high 30's)! Some years we don't get anything but skim ice... For the whole winter... With the ice coming for a day and then burning off.

Now... It will only get worse since we are still on the "down swing" a little more past the solistice. We should be seeing lake temps in the high 30's and 40's now...

Is this winter shaping up like the late 1970's??? When the lakes froze early? You remember what happened in 1977 before The Blizzard... There was a slight thaw...

Any, we are entering the deep freeze again just before Christmas, temps, highs in the single digits, lows in the negatives! All the ice on the water will "knit" back up stronger! Temps are expected to recover, BUT not abover freezing too much.

Note... Some tour boats @ Navy Pier, Chicago, usually make it through the winter with their bubblers on... They are getting stuck in the ice and heading south (along the canals) for winter storage. We usually have a few yachts straggling around Christmas to head south to The Gulf... Not this year, if the yachts are there, they are stuck in the ice and their "plastic" hulls are being craned out of the water onto flatbed trucks to head south... Ice is becoming a problem all the way south on The Illinois Waterway above Peoria! Already width restrictions on tows. Locks are 110' feet wide and tows can make it in @ 108'... The restriction has been set @ 105' due to the forming ice shelf in the chambers...

Can anybody give me a scouting report on what Lake Erie is doing... I haven't been to Buffalo in about a month. It has gotta be the same, 32 degrees, w/ice forming.

Again, this mini-thaw is a mirage unless the weather pattern really changes!

I hate to say it, but you are spot on! ;-)

BINGO! We have a winner. Johnny, tell... Mr. WEO what they have won!

Sorry... It is only a ham sandwhich! Because you defend those cheaters from the other end of I-90. ;-P ;-P

Dang, I just made a ham sandwich!

Dang, I just made a ham sandwich!

LoL... Crap! Know we gotta give you something better for your "brilliant" incite! ;-P

In all seriousness, you are absolutely right... Last time Bills played in BFLO was over a month ago... LoL We hit the deep freeze since! Boy did they pick a good year to schedule games away! The schedule makers must have been reading boyst's Old Farmer's Almanac! ;-)

Really... The thing I said with the ice. Usually some boats will just hunker down and put on their bubbler's/water circulators to stay out of the shifting ice. Water circulators are like giant propellers that circulate the warm water to the surface, leaving the veesel ice free around it. BUT, those boats are leaving for dry dock this year because they usually don't turn them onto mid to late January. Usually, if ice starts forming the thrid week of January and into February, we are out of the woods!

Now... Looking @ the forecast, we (here in Chicago) are in for another week with lows in the teens and single digits. With a little snow cover, the cold arctic air can keep diving south (to an extent).

Oh well... What a misguided (and I am not helping... LoL) thread!

wonder what ham sandwich will say about that.....

LoL...

No offense papazoid (not picking on you or the thread... threads like this are always great!), but WEO nailed it. Weather and our home games have been a bit skewed this year. It may have not been sloppy, but temps the last 5 weeks, I would say, have been below average... Then the one game, MIA @ The Ralph is a tad warmer! Go figure, LoL... With a deep freeze mixed in there... Bills just dodged bullets with so few late season home games!

We will be back to go into a deep freeze in about few hours... It is starting now here...

for November in some areas. Montana had a week of -15

http://www.weather.com/news/science/environment/cold-records-beat-warm-records-first-time-1993-20131203

With a large chunk of the U.S. having endured one of the coldest Thanksgiving holidays in years and even more brutally cold weather in the forecast over the next few days, 2013 is poised to have daily record lows outnumber daily record highs for the first time in 20 years.

location, location, location

LoL...

No offense papazoid (not picking on you or the thread... threads like this are always great!), but WEO nailed it. Weather and our home games have been a bit skewed this year. It may have not been sloppy, but temps the last 5 weeks, I would say, have been below average... Then the one game, MIA @ The Ralph is a tad warmer! Go figure, LoL... With a deep freeze mixed in there... Bills just dodged bullets with so few late season home games!

We will be back to go into a deep freeze in about few hours... It is starting now here...

3 home games in September and only one home game in the final 6 weeks helps the high temp stats.......

for November in some areas. Montana had a week of -15

http://www.weather.com/news/science/environment/cold-records-beat-warm-records-first-time-1993-20131203

With a large chunk of the U.S. having endured one of the coldest Thanksgiving holidays in years and even more brutally cold weather in the forecast over the next few days, 2013 is poised to have daily record lows outnumber daily record highs for the first time in 20 years.

location, location, location

And rightly so... This is normal. BFLO has a very tempered climate. It is cool in the summer and warm in the winter. It is the warmer winter that brings a ton of snow off the lake... Unless it freezes, which given the cold temps, probably already is... Very much a microclimate.

I still don't think it has been warmer than usual, probably colder than usual this past month... They only played one game in over a month in WNY and it was on a warmer/rainy trend. Back to the freeze starting this week... Temps here are already falling... It isn't supposed to be above freezing for the heartland/upper midwest for 10 days now.

3 home games in September and only one home game in the final 6 weeks helps the high temp stats.......

Okay, I see what you are up to. Yes, I agree. Yet, this season is grossly skewed. You should have mentioned how skewed it is in your original post.

So... You have to throw this season out as not counting.

See the supposed global warming of the earth has its benefits..despite unseasonably warm weather for a late December game in Buffalo, we still beat down the Fish...without the benefit of, and built in excuse for the Fins to lose another cold weather game in blustery Buffalo

did a little research......average temp of all 7 home games per year, last 5 seasons:

2013 - 61

2012 - 52

2011 - 59

2010 - 44

2009 - 49

I agree with what you say... But 2013 should be thrown out and not counted... Only one game was played outside @ The Ralph in the last 5 weeks... 2013, I will give you is the warmest, BUT should count! The schedule makers totally fudged it this year.

AND do the count the temp @ the TOR game? LoL That had to be like 72 in a dome... LoL They must not looking @ 2010!

EDIT: I see where you say 7 home games... Ooops, my bad about the TOR game.

See the supposed global warming of the earth has its benefits..despite unseasonably warm weather for a late December game in Buffalo, we still beat down the Fish...without the benefit of, and built in excuse for the Fins to lose another cold weather game in blustery Buffalo

How was today unseasonably warm? Wasn't it in the high 30's? It felt warm today because the last 3 weeks have been so damn cold!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Duh--you have 4 home games before Columbus Day its going to skew warmer not to mention moving a December game to Toronto.

Yeah this.

But it is hard to ignore the fact that for the last week or so it has been unseasonably cold, then by Tuesday it is going to be back in the teens. It warmed up for three days.