Jerry Hughes and Mario Williams chasing history

SBUffalo

This year, the defense has improved in a lot of areas. The offense also needs to do their part by playing good on a consistent basis.

They've gotten more sacks. They're still not stopping the run. They're still not holding teams on 3rd down. They're still giving up more points than most teams in the league.

The offense has scored a lot of points this season. Enough to win most games.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Annddddddd nobody cares about history.

Sacks are inflated now because of Goodell's happy fun passing league where the best defense is rushing the QBs

And guys like Hughes who basically useless outside of pass rushing can gain stats

So, meh

The Bills are worse in the only stat that matters. And I find it amazing that the Bills lead in INT's and Sacks, yet are routinely shredded. These "blip stats" can't hide the fact that this is not yet a consistent defense.

Or that the offense is bad and QB isn't adequate

Sacks are inflated now because of Goodell's happy fun passing league where the best defense is rushing the QBs

And guys like Hughes who basically useless outside of pass rushing can gain stats

So, meh

Didn't Hughes have two sacks last game on third downs? I can't remember the second but I know the first was.

That's one of the most valuable plays in my mind. Get's the offense on, and it pushes the opposition back.

Also, if the league is pass happy, which most on here would agree with, don't you want guys who can deter the oppositions QB from making plays?

Edited by stony

They've gotten more sacks. They're still not stopping the run. They're still not holding teams on 3rd down. They're still giving up more points than most teams in the league.

The offense has scored a lot of points this season. Enough to win most games.

Where I see the run defense improved is up the middle, there's no doubt the Bills need to do a much better job of containing the edges. I'm not sure if it's due to the over-aggressive style of the Bills that's leaving the sides vulnerable or if it's the play of the LB's, but that area needs to improve.

The offense has put up a good amount of points in the last 2 games, but struggled most of the season. Granted, it was tough when you're playing with 3 QB's this season, but we've seen the offense go 3 and out a ton of times and with a high-paced/no huddle offense, those fast 3-and-outs have put a ton of on the defense.

So, meh

And that the play calling has been highly questionable.

Where I see the run defense improved is up the middle, there's no doubt the Bills need to do a much better job of containing the edges. I'm not sure if it's due to the over-aggressive style of the Bills that's leaving the sides vulnerable or if it's the play of the LB's, but that area needs to improve.

The offense has put up a good amount of points in the last 2 games, but struggled most of the season. Granted, it was tough when you're playing with 3 QB's this season, but we've seen the offense go 3 and out a ton of times and with a high-paced/no huddle offense, those fast 3-and-outs have put a ton of on the defense.

I don't know. Here are the Bills' points in their losses:

21 - NE

20 - NYJ

24 - CLE

24 - CIN

17 - NO

13 - KC

10 - PIT

31 - ATL

The defense (lack thereof), in my opinion, is the reason we lost all but the NO, KC, PIT games. All the other ones, I believe the offense put up enough to win.

21 - NE

20 - NYJ

24 - CLE

24 - CIN

17 - NO

13 - KC

10 - PIT

31 - ATL

The defense (lack thereof), in my opinion, is the reason we lost all but the NO, KC, PIT games. All the other ones, I believe the offense put up enough to win.

Point totals can be misleading. You are not factoring in field position, time of possession, or number of possessions.

For example, the Bills offense scored 31 points last week - but they had 14 offensive possessions. The offense punted 7 times and made 2 turnovers. Additionally, when the offense makes the defense play for 38+ minutes and withstand 14 possessions, it makes it possible to make a lot of good plays and still give up 34 points.

Kyle Williams is within striking range of Cortez Kennedy's' season sack record for interior linemen.

What is the record for interior lineman ?

With Jerry Ball in Techno Bowl I had 101 sacks in a season. And that was only like 8 games or so.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Point totals can be misleading. You are not factoring in field position, time of possession, or number of possessions.

For example, the Bills offense scored 31 points last week - but they had 14 offensive possessions. The offense punted 7 times and made 2 turnovers. Additionally, when the offense makes the defense play for 38+ minutes and withstand 14 possessions, it makes it possible to make a lot of good plays and still give up 34 points.

I agree a ball control offense (especially) can help a defense. But make no mistake, when a defense is on the field for 38 minutes, it's because they didn't do their primary job which to GET OFF THE FIELD.

GO BILLS!!!

21 - NE

20 - NYJ

24 - CLE

24 - CIN

17 - NO

13 - KC

10 - PIT

31 - ATL

In the KC game the defense allowed only 9 points, and three of those came after the Bills turned over the ball in their own end of the field. The only two touchdowns scored by KC were from interception and fumble returns. They shut down the KC running game, and most of their passing game. That was probably one of the defense's best games of the season, wasted.

Edited by Dr. K

21 - NE

20 - NYJ

24 - CLE

24 - CIN

17 - NO

13 - KC

10 - PIT

31 - ATL

25 teams are averaging 20+ points per game, and 2 more at 19.8

if you go back 10 years, in 2003 only 15 teams average 20 points per game.

I think its tough to pin a loss on the defense if they are at, or near 20 points, and that as fans scoring growth league wide is outpacing our changing perceptions of a successful defensive game.

Correct. Not to mention we needed our diapers changed after a long night.

To the original point of the thread ... Hughes was a great pick up this off season.

absotively .

hughes pick up i meant. not the diaper thing so much

I didn't check but right off the top of my head I would have thought Warren Sapp and John Randle had more sacks in a season than Cortez Kennedy?

Kennedy: 14 in 1992

Randle: 15.5 in 1997

Sapp: 16.5 in 2000

Not much chance of record being broken this year.

For the record, I don't give a **** about moral victories. This thread was just noting the history. History is history. It could be happening. Doesn't mean the team is good, but you have to note it.

14 seasons. Longest current streak in the NFL. That, my friend, is the history that counts most.