Why isn't anyone talking about Stevie?

Alphadawg7

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a Stevie fan. He is a drama queen who craves attention, but when he gets it the pressure of the moment has been too much for him. He is a significantly worse player in big situations than in less meaningful ones.

That all being said.......the team just can't afford to give away talent. Stevie is the only proven capable receiver on the roster. No matter what people project from Woods and Goodwin neither has been consistent and both have missed games due to injury. Graham may have a future but he was at best a late draftable prospect/UDFA type and he is far from ready for primetime.

I don't think our receiving corps is bad...we won't know what we have until a good NFL QB is throwing them the ball......but this organization can't afford to trade proven talent with a 15th consecutive missed playoff season on the line next year.

Stevie is what he is. It's not like he hasn't been a prominent player for the Bills for 4 years and had a number of critical mistakes/failures to come thru in the clutch.

He is a quality player for the vast majority of the game but he is the opposite of clutch.

Nothing changed for me today. I cursed and rolled my eyes like everyone else when he fumbled the ball in the clutch after playing a very solid game to that point but I was not surprised.

If you were surprised you either don't follow the team closely or you just can't be objective about the player. That game effectively ended the competitive portion of the Bills season and isn't going to do anything to break down that mental barrier he has in the clutch. Very disappointing year for Stevie.

Stevie is what he is. It's not like he hasn't been a prominent player for the Bills for 4 years and had a number of critical mistakes/failures to come thru in the clutch.

He is a quality player for the vast majority of the game but he is the opposite of clutch.

Nothing changed for me today. I cursed and rolled my eyes like everyone else when he fumbled the ball in the clutch after playing a very solid game to that point but I was not surprised.

If you were surprised you either don't follow the team closely or you just can't be objective about the player. That game effectively ended the competitive portion of the Bills season and isn't going to do anything to break down that mental barrier he has in the clutch. Very disappointing year for Stevie.

cant disagree with any of this post. Still don't understand what any of this has to do with Stevie's conditioning but I do agree.

Re Stevie, I am guessing he was thinking more about getting to the sideline or into FG range, and probably lost concentration on securing the ball.

I am assuming concentration has usually been the issue in the clutch. In the heat of the moment he just can't repeat what he does naturally most of the time. As discussed many times, he doesn't drop a lot of passes on the whole. He also doesn't fumble a lot. But in the clutch anything goes with him. It's a dilemna for the team. They just don't have the QB play to drop that ball at the end of the NE game this year or to cap off this year in a shootout against Matt Ryan. They need their best players to come thru in the clutch.

As I recall, this is the 3rd critical error Stevie has made to lose us a game (falcons fumble, steelers drop of GW, jets drop of GW in 2011). He made one GW TD catch against Carolina. I don't think he has any others.

Not a great track record in the clutch.

As I recall, this is the 3rd critical error Stevie has made to lose us a game (falcons fumble, steelers drop of GW, jets drop of GW in 2011). He made one GW TD catch against Carolina. I don't think he has any others.

Not a great track record in the clutch.

you forgot the fumble against the Bengals 2 seasons ago.

But also forgot the 3 TD game against the Bengals the year before where he took over the game himself and almost single handedly win the game for us.

But hey, gotta make note of those drops.

From Twitter

The frustration's mutual. However, the longer we hold on to negative emotions - the longer we'll have to deal with them. • Forever Love

3385f79240abb289c52edacdee146a02_normal.jpeg

Stevie Johnson

@StevieJohnson13

The offender thinks everyone should just forgive and forget. :doh:

The first thing the coach said when he came in was that he was going to demand accountability. I am not sure that telling the fanbase to get over it represents personal accountability. :doh:

if Stevie's fumble is the cause and the defense and the general play of the team through out 60 minutes is just contributing factors. What does the Chandler play earn? End of the world?

Experience suggests you aren't very interested in trying to understand what another poster is attempting to communicate but I'll recap briefly:

1) Despite all previous play, Stevie has a final-minute chance to make a catch and retain possession of the ball (that's his job)

2) high probability Carpenter kicks the winning field goal

3) game ends, we win

Instead games goes to overtime. What happens in overtime can be subjected to a similar analysis.

One does wonder how the analogy to causation assignment in professional accident investigation gets translated into "end of the world", but, whatever.

Chandler, Stevie come to grips with fumbles

“It hurts,” said Chandler. “You hate to let the fans down and you really hate to let your teammates down.

But that’s part of the game. You want to make all the plays and you want to finish all the plays the right way. I just didn’t do it that time.

“It was a great throw by EJ [Manuel] out in front and I put the ball away. I didn’t get my hand underneath it enough and the guy hit it right on the ball and just knocked it loose. Really disappointing. Obviously you want to be able to protect the ball in that situation. And you want to make a play that helps your team win and not the play that really turns the tide to make your team lose.”

Stevie Johnson, whose fumble came late in regulation with the team within yards of a game-winning field goal attempt, took his miscue especially hard.

“Yeah, I was just running with the ball,” said Johnson. ”I knew we were down there and had the game

sealed and he came from behind and made the play, a helluva play.”

We want to bring this town, this region the playoffs,” he said. ”To know that kind of slipped away on that play is tough. But that’s part of what we do. We’re putting ourselves out there. If you want to be a guy who is making plays for your team then you’re going to have to deal with the disappointment when you don’t make a play.”

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I think he should sit down next week , the season is over lets roll with hogan in the slot, or woods and play tj and goodwin outside.

He has 3,000,000 due to him in feb and he should never see it. A number one reviever wins games , this guy loses them.

The cut Stevie now posts are annoying. Sure. He fumbled. It didn't cost is the game.

He just didn't win it. It went into OT and Chandler lost the game for us. Or maybe we can blame the defense for not stopping them after that fumble. Or maybe Pettine for not getting them ready. Or maybe Marrone for hiring Pettine. How about Whaley for hiring Marrone. Oh, I got it, Russ for hiring Doug. No... Wait, it's for Ralph hiring Russ. Oh crap!!! It's for Ralph's B%#^H of a mother for having Ralph back in 1742.

Get a grip people. We gave up the game today on all sides of the ball. We played like chit and didn't deserve to win. Nobody has ever said SJ is Jerry Rice. But he is a solid WR. Cutting him would make this team worse at the WR position.

Not sure how it would make the team worse. Woods can step in and play the slot. Stevie hasn't really been useful all year.

I am assuming concentration has usually been the issue in the clutch. In the heat of the moment he just can't repeat what he does naturally most of the time. As discussed many times, he doesn't drop a lot of passes on the whole. He also doesn't fumble a lot. But in the clutch anything goes with him. It's a dilemna for the team. They just don't have the QB play to drop that ball at the end of the NE game this year or to cap off this year in a shootout against Matt Ryan. They need their best players to come thru in the clutch.

Robert Woods is Mr. Clutch. He should be on the field more often. He adjusts his routes, catches the ball and PROTECTS It. I hope the Bills coaching staff take SJ out and put Woods in. Woods, Goodwin could be a good combination for a long time.

Robert Woods is Mr. Clutch. He should be on the field more often. He adjusts his routes, catches the ball and PROTECTS It. I hope the Bills coaching staff take SJ out and put Woods in. Woods, Goodwin could be a good combination for a long time.

Hasn't RW been on the field nearly 100% of the time when healthy? I thought it was a pretty high percentage last it saw.

The offender thinks everyone should just forgive and forget. :doh:

The first thing the coach said when he came in was that he was going to demand accountability. I am not sure that telling the fanbase to get over it represents personal accountability. :doh:

I'm of two minds about it. I think everyone wants him to own up to it (and rightly so) but football players do have to turn the page and move on to the next opponent, even if that means facing another week where there is probably little to play for.

That said, I want this team to believe it can go 8-8 and give it everything they've got.

The rest of this season is about seeing if this team still buys into Marrone, if he can keep them on an even keel, and if EJ can develop some more.

Nobody has a lockdown on their roster spot, and they should be gently reminded of that fact based on how they play from here on out.

Atlanta was freaky lucky to cause both fumbles. The odds of that happening again will be very low now that the bills see it possible.

That's not how I saw it. I saw it as two plays made by defenders who knew they needed to cause a turnover or else lose the game. They made the plays that had to be made.

The Falcons were lucky that the Bills players minds were not thinking about ball security in those crucial moments. I wonder if after the Stevie fumble, did Hackett or Marrone go to his playmakers and remind them that ball security is of upmost importance at this point? I am guessing neither of them did. Yes these players should automatically know that, but it is easy to forget about ball security when you are trying to make a play on offense. Would that have made the difference with Chandler? Maybe, maybe not.

But then after it happens and the Falcons get the ball back, why isn't our defense out there holding up the ball runner while other guys try to strip the ball? The Bills looked like they were playing normal defense to me with zero emphasis on creating that possible game winning turnover.

I thought that both times it looked like the Falcons defenders were obviously going for the strip. And it worked. Hats off to them. Neither Stevie nor Chandler are habitual fumblers. I think in both situations they just got outplayed by a mindful defender who wanted the ball at least as badly as he wanted the tackle.