Why isn't anyone talking about Stevie?

Alphadawg7

Right, because as regulation was winding down yesterday, I was keeping my fingers crossed that Stevie !@#$ it up somehow so I could report back to a message board and really rub it in the faces of digital strangers.

I do hate to say I told ya so. I want Stevie to be the player we need him to be. But I've been saying for a long time that he isn't. And he keeps proving me right.

I am not one of the guys who camps on the negative story lines.

No, you don't hate to say it, or else you'd simply be discussing it without pointing out how you said all of these things about him during the off-season, vis-a-vis:

Throughout the off season, I said this his stunts and his off-color incidents point to a lack of focus and maturity. Like others, I connected those behavior traits to his inability to make plays when they matter most. I was told I was an old fuddy duddy and that he's out there "having fun" being "great for the city."

Well, he made another extremely costly mistake, and in its wake, he steered clear of the mature route and took no ownership, whatsoever.

So, in summary: his lack of focus (all he had to do was go down, they had a time out to burn/all he had to do was hold on to the ball) potentially cost us the game. That points to his inability to handle big situations like grown-ass multi-million dollar man, and his post game interview only reinforces that.

These are behaviors I've been point to for a long time. And I'm not the only one.

It would be quite easy, and just as insightful, to state the points that you've included between the bold text only. You didn't/aren't doing so; obviously you don't hate to say it.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flash forward to week 17, a win and a few other losses around the conference and we're in.

Bills down by 2, driving with 1:30 to go in Foxboro.

I don't follow. I should pretend that last night's play at the end of regulation never happened?

You should definitely refrain from anymore "told ya so('s)".

Told ya he was immature!!! Everyone doubted me but I !@#$ing told ya so!!!! Hes not the leader we need and I have no real opinions on what should be done with him, but I !@#$ing TOLD YOU SO!!!

No, you don't hate to say it, or else you'd simply be discussing it without pointing out how you said all of these things about him during the off-season, vis-a-vis:

It would be quite easy, and just as insightful, to state the points that you've included between the bold text only. You didn't/aren't doing so; obviously you don't hate to say it.

You should definitely refrain from anymore "told ya so('s)".

Told ya he was immature!!! Everyone doubted me but I !@#$ing told ya so!!!! Hes not the leader we need and I have no real opinions on what should be done with him, but I !@#$ing TOLD YOU SO!!!

Given the volume, severity and depth of the debates that I'm referencing, I'd say it's well worth checking back in on those who's take on Mr. Johnson has been smited once again. Mostly because the aforementioned like(d) to pretend that each incident is isolated and never connected.

Also, this is a message board where opinions are defended and likewise challenged. When vindication arises, we should let all prior debate remain suspended in the ether?

So do we just automatically assume the defensive player didn't make a good play? And just chalk it up to this being Stevie's immaturity?

That's one excuse, sure.

Yes. BigCat will then graph fumbles as a function of maturity.

He could have just gone down. Would have been an appropriate move, given the situation, and undoubtedly what a receiver in a New England uniform would have done.

He needs to be in a system where he's not treated like a delicate snow flake. His ego's entirely too fragile and he's not mature enough to be a featured player. So, we either create that system here, or send him to a place where that will be the case.

For the fans: please be honest about what he is, and more importantly who he is.

I'm the last kind of fan that wants to get down his players. I hate having to admit they have flaws, too.

I agree with this. I think Stevie feels like the big fish in a little pond here, and Gailey went out of his way to make him feel that way by giving him freedom that no other WR in the league has. And he's not the personality you want for that situation.

There's never been middle ground with Stevie. Most think he's a good WR1 and this fun guy, 1000 yard seasons like that means anything in the current league. And then when he screws up, which he does often on and off the field, dump him.

The reality is Stevie is a good possession WR. A fine WR2 to have, with some immaturity issues you need to keep in check. He's a lil' overpaid now, so I don't know what the Bills can do with him. Trade value probably isn't there.

Coach Marrone is going to have a decision to make after this season. Sure SJ runs nice routes and catches footballs early in games. But he habitually drops them when the game is on the line. In other words, he's a loser. You can't win with losers. If we keep him around it's only a matter of time before he DROPS THE BALL AGAAAAAIIIIIIIIN !! Anyone doubt that that will happen?

Only next year it could be in a real win and in scenario. We can't take that chance.

I'd trade him for a sack of used footballs if I could get it. If not we may have to cut our losses and move on from SJ. We need winners.

If we really want to win, we can't do it with choke artists.

Also, this is a message board where opinions are defended and likewise challenged. When vindication arises, we should let all prior debate remain suspended in the ether?

Why would even want to claim vindication on the most sackless and nebulous of points? You definitely called your shot. Stevie is immature and that could lead to more dropped passes. Strong language. Could.

I think its worth noting that he did indeed catch the ball, but he subsequently fumbled. Take your victory lap if you wish, riverboat BigCat. That was the mother of all calls.

Why would even want to claim vindication on the most sackless and nebulous of points? You definitely called your shot. Stevie is immature and that could lead to more dropped passes. Strong language. Could.

I think its worth noting that he did indeed catch the ball, but he subsequently fumbled. Take your victory lap if you wish, riverboat BigCat. That was the mother of all calls.

And that fumble was in fact not a result of a good defensive play. Stevie caught the ball and then just fumbled it as immature people do...

Well, if you had been a part of any of the discussions several months ago, you'd understand the degree to which it was treated as heresy then.

And that fumble was in fact not a result of a good defensive play. Stevie caught the ball and then just fumbled it as immature people do...

You're one of the posters who continually swoops in to parrot Stevie's excuses. So which is it? Stevie deserves no blame for failing to protect possession there? I'm wrong to say he's immature? You're mashing and parsing arguments to satisfy...what, I'm not sure.

Well, if you had been a part of any of the discussions several months ago, you'd understand the degree to which it was treated as heresy then.

I recall that discussion to a point. Many people wanted SJ cut for his antics, some thought he would be a bonified top 10 with a real QB, others were more rational, but everyone was very upset. You could start a thread just presenting yesterday's stat line and box score without any opinion and it would still be hotly contested.

I recall that discussion to a point. Many people wanted SJ cut for his antics, some thought he would be a bonified top 10 with a real QB, others were more rational, but everyone was very upset. You could start a thread just presenting yesterday's stat line and box score without any opinion and it would still be hotly contested.

Actually, I linked two of those threads a couple of pages back. As I just said a few posts back, a simple glance through the pages shows that a majority were actually excusing his North Korea comment and 'USS FUHKMORE' shirt as merely funny transgressions which have no bearing on on-field performance. Unfortunately, the growing body of evidence clearly suggests that he is unable to contain his antics off the field, concentrate fully at key moments on the field and has little inclination to own up to his mistakes.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

You're one of the posters who continually swoops in to parrot Stevie's excuses. So which is it? Stevie deserves no blame for failing to protect possession there? I'm wrong to say he's immature? You're mashing and parsing arguments to satisfy...what, I'm not sure.

Excuses? Look, the guy is a decent WR who made himself a career in the NFL from a very low pick. The guy has worked hard to get here and no player on the Bills roster is without fault, according to fans... apparently have short term memory.

It's funny, 3 years ago people were talking about how terrible McKelvin was. Failing in the most crucial situations. Another failed first round draft pick... Now, he can do no wrong.

EDIT: to answer your questions, it's a little of all those things but has nothing to do with his immaturity. He should have done a better job protecting the ball and the defensive back made a great play.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

I am not a guy who thinks we should just trade good players, but I am coming around to the thinking that we should seriously consider moving Stevie. The guy is hurt every week. How many games has he left now? The wind blows by him and he gets a spasm.

I like Stevie, and he runs good routes. However, Woods can already do what Stevie does and can be everything Stevie can be with better hands. Goodwin is too good not to get on the field more too and can stretch the field opposite Woods. We have youth at WR and talent there beyond just Stevie.

He frequently comes up small in big situations and is always leaving games hurt. Would rather trade him for a 3rd, and use our first few rounds of picks targeting OL, physical WR, and dynamic TE.

He is in no way the reason for our woes, but I just can't see having a #1 WR anymore who isn't physical, has inconsistent hands, disappears in big moments or flat our drops the passes, and can't stay on the field.

So we don't get what we should out of him, so we should trade him.....first round pick on the way! :doh:

Actually, I linked two of those threads a couple of pages back. As I just said a few posts back, a simple glance through the pages shows that a majority were actually excusing his North Korea comment and 'USS FUHKMORE' shirt as merely funny transgressions which have no bearing on on-field performance. Unfortunately, the growing body of evidence clearly suggests that he is unable to contain his antics off the field, concentrate fully at key moments on the field and has little inclination to own up to his mistakes.

Actually, I just referenced your links.

How dare they???

You couldn't even begin to prove anything even remotely resembling that point. Patrick Kane is twice the !@#$wit Stevie Johnson is, yet he seems to score timely goals and win championships. Go chart maturity, clutch, concentration and key moments and all sorts of other bull ****.

Edited by Jauronimo

Actually, I just referenced your links.

How dare they???

You couldn't even begin to prove anything even remotely resembling that point. Patrick Kane is twice the !@#$wit Stevie Johnson is, yet he seems to score timely goals and win championships. Go chart maturity, clutch, concentration and key moments and all sorts of other bull ****.

You seem to be beating down on points that Big Cat and I am making - that Stevie has repeatedly shown a lack of maturity on and off the field.

What point are you making or defending ? You are coming across as a rebel without a cause.

stevie's contract says he isn't going anywhere until after the 2014 season.

until then, they need to move him to the inside slot. let woods,goodwin & graham handle the 2 outside spots.

2013 CAP HIT $5,650,000 - DEAD MONEY $11,300,000

2014 CAP HIT $8,500,000 - DEAD MONEY $8,475,000

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/stevie-johnson/

You seem to be beating down on points that Big Cat and I am making - that Stevie has repeatedly shown a lack of maturity on and off the field.

What point are you making or defending ? You are coming across as a rebel without a cause.

You just responded to my point. You, the vindicated party, have taken your victory laps, and issued your "told ya so('s)". But there is no victory and there is no vindication. There are only "told ya so('s)".