Why isn't anyone talking about Stevie?

Alphadawg7

After reading all of these posts, I think the real question is: Is Stevie worth the 9 million per season he is making? IMO, Hell no. He makes an average to good play to make a first down and he spins the ball like a top, in front of the defenders. That is a 15 yarder waiting to happen. Dude, you caught a ball, big deal. You get paid 9 mill per year. You should make plays. In addition, he is more known around here for his drops instead of great catches. Someone tell me otherwise. I'm not saying trade him, no one will take on that salary for a 7th round pick who thinks he's the cat's meow. All I am saying is he is not worth what we are paying him and he doesn't seem to want to change that. He already mentions how he really doesn't work out in the offseason and we wonder why his kitty(groin) is always hurt. Again, I am not saying trade him. I am saying we are stuck with him cause he makes too much money for an average wr with no top end speed and who drops too many clutch passes. Lets not forget "why so serious", pretending he shot himself in front of Plax, pretending to be a "Jet" that was shot down against the Jets and getting flagged for removing his helmet on the field after a nice catch. ALL OF THESE DURING LOSSES! Come on Stevie, grow up already. We sure could use a mature Stevie, but I don't see it happening.

I like the Steven Ridley approach. Bench him and make him walk around all week with a football in his hand. Bring his ego back down to earth (though I have no idea why its so high to begin with). Humble him. If he doesn't want to be humbled, trade him. If he comes back and chokes again, trade him.

:thumbsup:

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if he has repeatedly demonstrated that he isn't the leader you want him to be, why do you continue to expect a change from him? Not every good player on a team is a born leader and role model.

Can't he be an over achieving 7th round draft pick who carved out a nice career for himself? Is there room on an NFL roster for a player who has consistently finished in the top 20 in all major receiving metrics for the past 4 years?

Are you suggesting I said otherwise? Or are you suggesting my assertions are non sequitors because no one around here thinks of Stevie has our best player, or a team leader, or the face of the franchise, and so on...?

Also, he hasn't been in the top 20 of all major receiving metrics for four years. That's false. He was 35th in TD's last year.

25th the year before.

He's 65th this year.

And had 0 in 2009.

So, I'm not sure what you consider "major metrics," or how TD's are excluded from that, nor am I sure how you're measuring four years, because it's not accurate in either respect.

Edited by The Big Cat

After reading all of these posts, I think the real question is: Is Stevie worth the 9 million per season he is making? IMO, Hell no.

on the brightside, 5 years at $36m works out to far less than $9m per year. hes paid as a good, not great WR. he plays like a good not great WR.

I like the Steven Ridley approach. Bench him and make him walk around all week with a football in his hand. Bring his ego back down to earth (though I have no idea why its so high to begin with). Humble him. If he doesn't want to be humbled, trade him. If he comes back and chokes again, trade him.

:thumbsup:

Applying that argument, why are Woods, Graham, Goodwin, Hogan, Chandler, Easely, and Gragg on the roster? Who cares what we do with them. Cut them all tomorrow.

Cuz they don't make #1 reciever money and they have there ego's in check. Listen, Stevie asks for the attention when he does something good, he will get it when he screws up.

Are you suggesting I said otherwise? Or are you suggesting my assertions are non sequitors because no one around here thinks of Stevie has our best player, or a team leader, or the face of the franchise, and so on...?

Also, he hasn't been in the top 20 of all major receiving metrics for four years. That's false. He was 35th in TD's last year.

25th the year before.

I'm trying to figure out what exactly you "told everyone was so" but we refused to listen to you. For what exactly are you giving yourself so much credit?

I'm trying to figure out what exactly you "told everyone was so" but we refused to listen to you. For what exactly are you giving yourself so much credit?

Throughout the off season, I said this his stunts and his off-color incidents point to a lack of focus and maturity. Like others, I connected those behavior traits to his inability to make plays when they matter most. I was told I was an old fuddy duddy and that he's out there "having fun" being "great for the city."

Well, he made another extremely costly mistake, and in its wake, he steered clear of the mature route and took no ownership, whatsoever.

So, in summary: his lack of focus (all he had to do was go down, they had a time out to burn/all he had to do was hold on to the ball) potentially cost us the game. That points to his inability to handle big situations like grown-ass multi-million dollar man, and his post game interview only reinforces that.

These are behaviors I've been point to for a long time. And I'm not the only one.

on the brightside, 5 years at $36m works out to far less than $9m per year. hes paid as a good, not great WR. he plays like a good not great WR.

I stand corrected, he is making $2,550,000 this year. Not too much for an good receiver. Now that I see he is not being paid too much, I say coach has to sit him down and explain what is expected of him. If he doesn't show up for the next 4 games and plays hard, he will have a fight on his hands next year to make the squad. Woods, Goodwin, Hogan, Chandler, and a FA or another draft pick will do. Wake up Stevie!

Throughout the off season, I said this his stunts and his off-color incidents point to a lack of focus and maturity. Like others, I connected those behavior traits to his inability to make plays when they matter most. I was told I was an old fuddy duddy and that he's out there "having fun" being "great for the city."

Well, he made another extremely costly mistake, and in its wake, he steered clear of the mature route and took no ownership, whatsoever.

So, in summary: his lack of focus (all he had to do was go down, they had a time out to burn/all he had to do was hold on to the ball) potentially cost us the game. That points to his inability to handle big situations like grown-ass multi-million dollar man, and his post game interview only reinforces that.

These are behaviors I've been point to for a long time. And I'm not the only one.

So what should be done with this Stevie Johnson?

I stand corrected, he is making $2,550,000 this year. Not too much for an good receiver. Now that I see he is not being paid too much, I say coach has to sit him down and explain what is expected of him. If he doesn't show up for the next 4 games and plays hard, he will have a fight on his hands next year to make the squad. Woods, Goodwin, Hogan, Chandler, and a FA or another draft pick will do. Wake up Stevie!

the way its structured, its almost a gimme he makes the team next year, but im ok with that as losing him is creating a hole i dont particularly want to see them scrambling to fill. itd be great to see a top notch receiving threat (TE or WR) added this year and then after the season evaluate whether stevie makes sense still.

So what should be done with this Stevie Johnson?

He needs to be in a system where he's not treated like a delicate snow flake. His ego's entirely too fragile and he's not mature enough to be a featured player. So, we either create that system here, or send him to a place where that will be the case.

For the fans: please be honest about what he is, and more importantly who he is.

I'm the last kind of fan that wants to get down his players. I hate having to admit they have flaws, too.

Why not just keep him but simply not throw to him when the game is on the line? The other 53 minutes of the game aren't really a problem, after all.

Then he's just a decoy and defenses will pick up on this, no? If he's wide open and not being thrown to with a chance to win it all, there'll be all sorts of second-guessing, probably from the same crew who don't trust him to begin with (and I'll be honest and count myself among that crew).

Then he's just a decoy and defenses will pick up on this, no? If he's wide open and not being thrown to with a chance to win it all, there'll be all sorts of second-guessing, probably from the same crew who don't trust him to begin with (and I'll be honest and count myself among that crew).

You could just bench him in the final couple of minutes. Regardless, if you keep him in, remember that these incidents don't happen very often, so it'll take a couple more for opponents to catch on to the plan. By that time, Johnson's contract will be done.

He needs to be in a system where he's not treated like a delicate snow flake. His ego's entirely too fragile and he's not mature enough to be a featured player. So, we either create that system here, or send him to a place where that will be the case.

For the fans: please be honest about what he is, and more importantly who he is.

I'm the last kind of fan that wants to get down his players. I hate having to admit they have flaws, too.

Maybe you could just ignore him?

You could just bench him in the final couple of minutes. Regardless, if you keep him in, remember that these incidents don't happen very often, so it'll take a couple more for opponents to catch on to the plan. By that time, Johnson's contract will be done.

Flash forward to week 17, a win and a few other losses around the conference and we're in.

Bills down by 2, driving with 1:30 to go in Foxboro.

Maybe you could just ignore him?

I don't follow. I should pretend that last night's play at the end of regulation never happened?

Not that you need support for your points, but just for fun, I dug up this thread and some post in them to bolster your statements above .... Glancing through that thread, I realized that there were very few of us who called him out on his immaturity and likely negative impact on the field.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/159612-are-the-billsstevie-gonna-regret-this-photo-posted-on-fb/page__st__160

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/159612-are-the-billsstevie-gonna-regret-this-photo-posted-on-fb/page__st__200

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/157064-steve-johnsons-interesting-tweet/page__st__160

Shameless & depressing 'I told you so' from April , 2013:

"He was in check last season but this transgression makes me wonder if he will once again cause a stupid penalty or drop a catch that costs us a game. I am not confident any more that he is mature enough to handle all game situations."

I'd bench him, but I'd be happy to have him in in there for the first 57-58 minutes.

What about Chandler? To be honest, my heart stops EVERY TIME he's lumbering across the middle. I always feel like he's a fumble waiting to happen, especially the way he tries to stay on his feet.