possibly the best player in the NFL this year

dave mcbride

Shockingly, it may be Philip Rivers when factoring in his supporting cast. His numbers are unbelievable:

71 percent completion rate

22 TDs to 8 INTs

8.5 ypa

106.6 rating

A very low 4.8 percent sack rate (behind an average at best o-line)

http://www.pro-footb.../R/RivePh00.htm

Of all the 5-6 teams, the Chargers seem to me the likeliest candidate to sneak in.

Edited by dave mcbride

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always wondered how he flies so under the radar? The west coast drawing a lack of attention?

Eli gets toasted and roasted weekly. Brees is a stud. Dalton gets a lot of love. But Rivers get nothing. He is a very solid game manager that plays QB very well. I always hoped Fitz would get to Rivers level.

The funny thing is that some people (fans and experts) thought his arm was shot or that something was wrong with him. He definitely should be in the MVP conversation.

Agreed. I think he was playing injured last year. He has been lights out. That pass on Sunday was as perfect as they come with less than a minute left in the game.

Shockingly, it may be Philip Rivers when factoring in his supporting cast. His numbers are unbelievable:

22 TDs to 8 INTs

8.5 ypa

106.6 rating

Of all the 5-6 teams, the Chargers seem to me the likeliest candidate to sneak in.

Yeah he has been going in...lit up the Chiefs for almost 50 points last week and I sat him on one of my fantasy teams cause I thought the Chiefs D would limit his point total and cost me the game after he put up 49 fantasy points...

I have always wondered how he flies so under the radar? The west coast drawing a lack of attention?

Eli gets toasted and roasted weekly. Brees is a stud. Dalton gets a lot of love. But Rivers get nothing. He is a very solid game manager that plays QB very well. I always hoped Fitz would get to Rivers level.

It took several years of missing the playoffs before he was removed from the elite group. Circa 2007 he was seen as a solid top 5.

22 TDs to 8 INTs

8.5 ypa

106.6 rating

Well, other than last week, the Chargers are 0-for-November, with Rivers amassing a whopping 4 TDs over those 3 weeks (and 3 ints, 2 of whcih led to Redskins scores).

Meanwhile, Nick Foles has lead his team to 4 wins in 5 games. He 16 TDs and zeero Ints.

I was one who believed he was washed up. Frankly, the previous three years he was a turnover machine and horribly unclutch in end-of-game situations. He is playing much better this year and if not for some late game defensive breakdowns, the Chargers would be at 8-3 or so. He is definitely NOT a game manager. Reminds me a lot of Kelly in that he's immobile, strictly a pocket guy, and willing to take big risks pushing the ball down the field.

Well, other than last week, the Chargers are 0-for-November, with Rivers amassing a whopping 4 TDs over those 3 weeks (and 3 ints, 2 of whcih led to Redskins scores).

Meanwhile, Nick Foles has lead his team to 4 wins in 5 games. He 16 TDs and zeero Ints.

It's a team game, and one is judged on the full season, not two losses in two weeks. I'm not sure why you're excluding the good November game from the overall November stats.

If Rivers had DeSean Jackson and Shady McCoy he would likely have better #s too.

It's a team game, and one is judged on the full season, not two losses in two weeks. I'm not sure why you're excluding the good November game from the overall November stats.

Rivers was good in the Denver game too. His defense was not. They lost, but not because of him.

That said, if you ever look at a Chargers fan message board the majority cannot wait to get rid of him. They have no idea how hard it is to find a franchise QB, apparently.

He always strikes me a choke artist. But thats just my opinion and that and $2.85 will get me a cup of coffee.

He played in the AFC Championship game with a torn ACL. Edited by YoloInTheBlo