John Bongiovi interested in buying the Bills

Doc

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, if any musician would go in with Jimbo on buying the Bills, I would have thought it would be Eddie Van Halen.

Second, in what world does firing some second-rate over-the-hill guitar player set you up with the scratch to buy an NFL team?

I said IF it was true, and since it has been reported for years that Kelly was interested in being part of the new ownership I really didn't find the rumor that outlandish...

I didn't say it was implausible. I only said that it was completely unsubstantiated and probably fabricated.

The bathroom situation can be addressed without building a new stadium. As can many of the Ralph's other issues: narrow concourses, crappy seats with broken erin holders, and poor concessions.

What about stupid fans and railings that are too low to protect them from themselves?

For the record, I believe strongly that if this were to come to fruition, Bongiovi would come in and say and do all the right things to ingratiate himself to the region, league, and fanbase, and move the team to LA (or Toronto) within 10 years.

You don't buy a team and leave it in Buffalo unless you have some strong ties to and feelings for the region.

ive seen websites show completely different numbers. Anywhere from $125m to $300m. At this point, I think Forbes is probably the most accurate so I'll go with Forbes. They show he has a net worth of $290m. And although that might not be enough to own the team himself, he contribute a huge chunk of money to say... The Kelly ownership group. $200m+ maybe. Would be anywhere from a quarter to a fifth of what it is estimated to purchase the Bills organization.

http://www.forbes.co...n-bon-jovi.html

NFL rules require the new primary owner of a team to have a minimum 30% share. If Bonjovi wants to be the primary owner of the Bills, estimated worth about $750 million, he needs to pony up something like > $230 million.

NFL rules require the new primary owner of a team to have a minimum 30% share. If Bonjovi wants to be the primary owner of the Bills, estimated worth about $750 million, he needs to pony up something like > $230 million.

And they examine the deal so that the primary owner can't be too heavily leveraged. So the lion's share has to be cash.

Don't worry, it's just Toronto fish wrap making false claims. Terry Pegula and Tom Golisano have the inside track on the Bills given their money, ties to Buffalo, and experience owning professional sports teams. And Poloncarz said he won't talk to anyone interested in moving the team.

As I said above--no way he has the 30% liquid. He's Jay Z on this one--a peripheral character who wants to live the life. Not a serious bidder.

As I said above--no way he has the 30% liquid. He's Jay Z on this one--a peripheral character who wants to live the life. Not a serious bidder.

I imagine he could have a larger stake than Jay-Z - just more years in the biz pulling in those huge tour numbers. I'll bet he could pull together 10-15%, but I think you're right in principle.

The article is not a good one, but I have to believe the next owner is going to be someone who isn't talking about buying the Bills right now. Fortunately for Buffalo there are a host of people who have the cash to make this happen either individually or as part of a consortium---Pegula, Golisano and the Jacobs family and Bob Rich spring to mind. Their company isn't publicly traded, but I have to think the Wegman family has the money for something like this, too. I have to imagine a new stadium is part of the equation for any prospective local buyer, and I wonder if we see the state government start to address this issue in the very near future.

Edited by BuffaloPowerEye

How rock n roll of Bon Jovi. Let's partner with a bunch of corporate billionaires and move a team with a blue collar fan base and means everything to its city to a giant metropolis that doesn't care about the NFL whatsoever in order to become even richer. After all, that's what rock n roll is all about.

Bon Jovi is buddies with Jim Kelly

I really really REALLY don't want Kelly to have any ownership or say. That would officially kill my interest in the team. And they'd be terrible in that situation anyway

Sometimes I think all you're doing is trolling on this website. So let me get this straight: you're a big Bills fan and the Bills are in danger of leaving Buffalo. If the Bills went up for sale and the man who is essentially the face of the franchise you love were a minority owner in the new ownership group and helped keep the team in Buffalo, you would cease being a fan of the Bills? Gotcha.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I imagine he could have a larger stake than Jay-Z - just more years in the biz pulling in those huge tour numbers. I'll bet he could pull together 10-15%, but I think you're right in principle.

apparently you don't know what your talking about. And Jay Zs numbers are most likely all on paper, not to mention all the drug money he's accumulated over the years.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomalleygreenburg/2013/03/27/the-forbes-five-hip-hops-wealthiest-artists-2013/

I think that is the first time I've read about how serious Rogers Communications was about buying the team. If they do then we are 110% moving to Canada. As the article says, it's going to be hard for any individual or group of investors to compete with a multi-billion dollar corporation. I'm really sad now. If Buffalo loses the Bills I don't know what we'll do. It's one if the only things going for us

The chances of the Bills staying in WNY after Ralph passes are nil and none. That's a given, no one is spending a Billion $$ on a team and then running it in WNY. Ralph runs it there because he paid 25 grand for the team.

So? Poloncarz can't stop a sale. And if a new owner wants to move the team, how could the County Executive stiffarming him possibly prevent a move?

You're right that he can't stop a sale per se, although he can play a role in any renegotiations of the lease. As it stands, the lease basically prohibits a move (except for that one time opt out).

By the same token, that "out" could be used to move the Bills into a new stadium, and not necessarily out of Buffalo. It's pretty brilliant, IMO. Especially considering that a new stadium will almost certainly play a big part in any future owner's plans.

I think what Poloncarz is getting at is that he won't renegotiate the lease unless the buyer is intent on keeping the Bills in Buffalo.

Also, in regard to another post upthread, I wouldn't count out Jeff Gundlach as a buyer. He's worth a billion himself, and manages billions for some of the richest people in the world. Between Gundlach and the others already mentioned, I think there's enough people and capital to keep the Bills viable in Buffalo, even if it means building a new stadium with cushy luxury suites for rich Torontonians.