John Bongiovi interested in buying the Bills

Doc

Aha, got it. I think when it's been bandied about that Jeremy Jacobs could be a potential owner that this was the roadblock (that he owns the Bruins). That's what I was thinking of.

I think the team wouldn't get the commitment it needs from ownership with Golisano holding the purse-strings. I guess it could help keep the team in town, but I see it as a holding pattern for football operations.

The team needs someone who loves football and really wants the Bills to win (a Pegula for football -- maybe even the man himself).

I see very little evidence that Bon Jovi is a guy who knows football and will do whatever it takes to win (though a winning on-field product is the most marketable and profitable asset).

But if the rumor is true about him buying it with Kelly, then it doesn't matter, because Kelly does and will.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Repetition of this false spin does not make it true.

The Buffalo Bills were NOT losing money before the "Toronto deal"

Adding the deal money of course adds to the Bills stability, but those who keep repeating the mantra that, the Bills can't survive without playing in Toronto, are incorrect.

You ignore the fact that the Bills are debt-free right now. THAT'S what keeps them profitable in a low-revenue market. Ralph has no mortgage to pay. But if anyone buying the Bills has to borrow money or build a new stadium then the nut is going to be HUGE! Suddenly Buffalo-only becomes a losing proposition.

PTR

For New York to get that extra $50M, they had to invest hundreds of millions of dollars in a new stadium with expanded premium seating. Buffalo has no real stadium costs. Plus there are only a handful of teams that see that kind of revenue. I'm willing to bet that Tennessee, Cleveland, and Jacksonville are a lot closer to Buffalo in premium revenue than they are to New York and Dallas.

The real issue is that TV is king in the NFL. Each team receives $125 million annually from the current TV contracts, and for most teams, it's regular old ticket sales, not premium seats, that are the next biggest slice of the pie. While it would be nice to be able to sell more premium seats, it's not a requirement to have a profitable NFL franchise.

I do agree on the debt free part.

Obviously, the TV rev is king but it is equal for all. Suites, PSL and I believe local sponsorships are all non shared. These revenues are not split but go towards the league revenue used to determine the salary cap. There will come a point when the cap is driven past the shared revenue creating haves and have nots. The Toronto deal is the Bills response to those factors. The Ralph cannot generate the revenue of these new stadiums.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

The rumor about him buying it with Kelly has only been "reported" by someone here who has 44 posts to his/her account. I'll take that with a healthy dose of skepticism.

To be fair, they did say the read it on a website. The interwebz don't lie.

Edited by NoSaint

I do agree on the debt free part.

Obviously, the TV rev is king but it is equal for all. Suites, PSL and I believe local sponsorships are all non shared. These revenues are not split but go towards the league revenue used to determine the salary cap. There will come a point when the cap is driven past the shared revenue creating haves and have nots. The Toronto deal is the Bills response to those factors. The Ralph cannot generate the revenue of these new stadiums.

Look at the Forbes rankings for NFL team revenues. There are a handful of teams that are over $300M of revenue: Dallas, Houston, Washington, New York (x2), New England. The rest of the league is in the range of $230M to $300M and Buffalo is close to the middle of that group at $256M. If Buffalo had a competitive team, I think they'd do much better revenue-wise.

It's true that as more of the big market teams get new stadiums, the number of "haves" are increasing, but once San Francisco and Atlanta have their new stadiums, I think that that's mostly played out. In fact, I believe the focus on premium seats has hurt the NFL by worsening the in stadium experience for the majority of fans that sit in the cheap seats. I sometimes wonder if some of these new stadiums will seem as out of date 10 or 20 years from now as the multipurpose stadiums of the 60's and 70's are to us today.

This a long shot- but if he did somehow get the Bills, I would be concerned he would move them. He is a smart business guy and a move would increase the value. I'd rather see Golisano or Jacobs step up. Golisano being my top choice- he has the cash and would never move the team. He has big league ownership experience with the sabres too.

RWS is going to have to be replaced within 10 years. It will be 50 years old then.

I disagree. Stadiums don't have a fixed life. They don't become obsolete because they are old, there needs to be a reason. Most NFL teams have built new stadiums to increate club and suite seating, but the 1998 renovation to the Ralph addressed this pretty well and the next renovation will probably add additional club seating.

We should go on Shark Tank and offer to sell the Bills to Mark Cuban. We should ask for $500,000,000.00 for 100% stake in the company. Let's hope he doesn't bring up all the reasons NOT to buy the Bills...

Cuban is from Pittsburgh and has love for Buffalo - It's On Like a MoFo! :D

I say we get Kelly, Cuban, Bon Jovi and a conglomerate of a 80's bands. Crue, Kiss, Poison, G'nF'nR - heck even Whitesnake and Cinderella! Let's do this!!

I'm down for whatever it takes to keep the Bills in Buffalo...

Cuban is from Pittsburgh and has love for Buffalo - It's On Like a MoFo! :D

I say we get Kelly, Cuban, Bon Jovi and a conglomerate of a 80's bands. Crue, Kiss, Poison, G'nF'nR - heck even Whitesnake and Cinderella! Let's do this!!

I'm down for whatever it takes to keep the Bills in Buffalo...

Revenge of the hair bands, I like it.