John Bongiovi interested in buying the Bills

Doc

Bon Jovi is worth $300 million... I wonder who would win the bidding war...

Aren't there NHL provisions against owning another sports franchise in the same town?

Also, I always thought of Terry as a guy who got into this because he loved hockey and the Sabres. It's not that I don't believe he could really also love the Bills, but I haven't ever seen him comment on them or their ownership situation.

One thing I do imagine Pegula understands is the meaning and value of the Bills to the region.

It would not be the worst thing to have a deep pocketed owner running both teams and to have some synergy between the two.

Jon Bon Jovi owning the bills makes perfect sense to me because the Bills are always " livin on a prayer."

The Bills are also always playing second banana to those f**ks in Jersey.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct, but the non shared revenues created by the new stadiums in Dallas, NY, Arizona, Indy, etc... were nowhere near the levels that they are at now. For example, the stadium in NY is about $50M in suite revenue (the Bills are around $7M). Those numbers drive the cap and would have put the Bills in a rough position. That is why Ralph voted against the CBA when everyone thought that he was nuts. It turns out that he was right. The Toronto deal offsets a good deal of revenue that the Bills are unable to make up playing at RWS.

All true.

but as you say, it "offsets some of the lost revenue"............not keeps the Bills afloat.

They are a very valuable franchise that makes a profit (even without the Toronto money)

so the "play in Toronto or lose them" meme is all spin................................that many love to repeat.

Aren't there NHL provisions against owning another sports franchise in the same town?

Also, I always thought of Terry as a guy who got into this because he loved hockey and the Sabres. It's not that I don't believe he could really also love the Bills, but I haven't ever seen him comment on them or their ownership situation.

One thing I do imagine Pegula understands is the meaning and value of the Bills to the region.

It would not be the worst thing to have a deep pocketed owner running both teams and to have some synergy between the two.

The Bills are also always playing second banana to those f**ks in Jersey.

There are NFL provisions that state you can't own a team in another market if there is an NFL team in that market. Pegula would then be fine to own the Bills and Sabres. He just couldn't own the Bills and Rangers for instance.

All true.

but as you say, it "offsets some of the lost revenue"............not keeps the Bills afloat.

They are a very valuable franchise that makes a profit (even without the Toronto money)

so the "play in Toronto or lose them" meme is all spin................................that many love to repeat.

There would have come a point (not too far away) that the non shared revenue would have driven the cap to a place that the Bills could not reach financially. The Toronto deal was/is imperative (at least until the Bill get a new stadium or a more advantageous deal with the county). Look at the deal that the Saints signed with the state of Louisiana. That is basically their Toronto deal. I don't like conceding a home game but it has provided $70 some odd million in direct revenue and helped infiltrate the wealthy Toronto business community. It is necessary. Without that deal the Bills would not have remained in WNY (unless they got a new stadium).

Edited by Kirby Jackson

There are NFL provisions that state you can't own a team in another market if there is an NFL team in that market. Pegula would then be fine to own the Bills and Sabres. He just couldn't own the Bills and Rangers for instance.

Aha, got it. I think when it's been bandied about that Jeremy Jacobs could be a potential owner that this was the roadblock (that he owns the Bruins). That's what I was thinking of.

Not to mention Golisano would also be interested in keeping the team in Buffalo, and he's worth $1.9B.

I think the team wouldn't get the commitment it needs from ownership with Golisano holding the purse-strings. I guess it could help keep the team in town, but I see it as a holding pattern for football operations.

The team needs someone who loves football and really wants the Bills to win (a Pegula for football -- maybe even the man himself).

I see very little evidence that Bon Jovi is a guy who knows football and will do whatever it takes to win (though a winning on-field product is the most marketable and profitable asset).

AKA Jon Bon Jovi, as per Jason LaCanfora. Thoughts?

Does this mean he will do concerts at halftime to try and draw in fans like he did when he was part of Philadelphia Soul ownership?

I'm for anyone at this point except Rogers Communication bc we all know what that means

Edited by Max997

Aha, got it. I think when it's been bandied about that Jeremy Jacobs could be a potential owner that this was the roadblock (that he owns the Bruins). That's what I was thinking of.

I think the team wouldn't get the commitment it needs from ownership with Golisano holding the purse-strings. I guess it could help keep the team in town, but I see it as a holding pattern for football operations.

The team needs someone who loves football and really wants the Bills to win (a Pegula for football -- maybe even the man himself).

I see very little evidence that Bon Jovi is a guy who knows football and will do whatever it takes to win (though a winning on-field product is the most marketable and profitable asset).

I doubt he knows football any better than Pegs or Golisano.

I have no idea how Bon Jovi would work out for the Bills, but I do know that he has been a very enthusiastic owner of the Arena team in Philly. He wants to win.

There is a vast difference in the economy of scale between an Arena team and the NFL.

Does this mean he will do concerts at halftime to try and draw in fans like he did when he was part of Philadelphia Soul ownership?

I'd bet anything he would. But if Rogers is part of the deal, forget it.

I think that is the first time I've read about how serious Rogers Communications was about buying the team. If they do then we are 110% moving to Canada. As the article says, it's going to be hard for any individual or group of investors to compete with a multi-billion dollar corporation. I'm really sad now. If Buffalo loses the Bills I don't know what we'll do. It's one if the only things going for us

I don't know. There would be more obstacles the article doesn't say. NFL teams can't be owned by a cooperation. So the rogers family are the real buyers. They still have a lot of money, but the article suggesting the cooperation is the competition is misleading. Toronto would prob need to build a new stadium to get the bills as well, and I am not sure NFL would allow them to buy it. I think it is 50/50 rogers family buys it

I think it makes sense. It's all coming together. For how many years have we heard Bon Jovi time after time played before the game? It was the organization softening up the transition.

If that's the case, then why isn't Phil Collins/Genesis been mentioned?

There is a rumor on another board saying the Bills have been sold to a group including Bon Jovi and Jim Kelly and the news will break later today.

There's always an "another board/rumor with breaking news" about every 6-8 months.

If that's the case, then why isn't Phil Collins/Genesis been mentioned?

They are more interested in a London team.... :doh:

Jon Bon Jovi owning the bills makes perfect sense to me because the Bills are always " livin on a prayer."

We aren't half way there......

Correct, but the non shared revenues created by the new stadiums in Dallas, NY, Arizona, Indy, etc... were nowhere near the levels that they are at now. For example, the stadium in NY is about $50M in suite revenue (the Bills are around $7M). Those numbers drive the cap and would have put the Bills in a rough position. That is why Ralph voted against the CBA when everyone thought that he was nuts. It turns out that he was right. The Toronto deal offsets a good deal of revenue that the Bills are unable to make up playing at RWS.

For New York to get that extra $50M, they had to invest hundreds of millions of dollars in a new stadium with expanded premium seating. Buffalo has no real stadium costs. Plus there are only a handful of teams that see that kind of revenue. I'm willing to bet that Tennessee, Cleveland, and Jacksonville are a lot closer to Buffalo in premium revenue than they are to New York and Dallas.

The real issue is that TV is king in the NFL. Each team receives $125 million annually from the current TV contracts, and for most teams, it's regular old ticket sales, not premium seats, that are the next biggest slice of the pie. While it would be nice to be able to sell more premium seats, it's not a requirement to have a profitable NFL franchise.

According to several sources in the music industry, Bon Jovi's dismissal of longtime guitarist Richie Sambora is likely even related to his pursuit of a franchise, as Sambora was the highest-paid member of his band and the next most prominent member, and by using session musicians or unknowns, he is then able to keep his costs down. Bon Jovi is a shrewd businessman who has kept much of his operation in-house and has long been the central figure in making deals for the band.

Sounds like a salary cap move, practice makes perfect!