Mike Silver on Andre Reed HOF

FluffHead

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smith won the league rushing title 4 times and also won an MVP. I don't think there's any comparison.

You would because you're a Bills fan! Carter was far better at one thing than just about any receiver ever - making tough catches in the end zone that virtually no other receiver could make on a consistent basis. Plus he had dominant numbers both in numerous individual seasons and over time despite screwing up for a few years in Philly. Carter is annoying, but he was a better and more physically imposing receiver than Reed. I don't disagree about Monk. I don't think he was especially great.

Carter was a very nice WR, but I don't think he scared anyone. You didn't have to gameplan for him like you did for Randy Moss. 'All he ever did was catch TDs" lol. OTOH, you had to account for Reed at all times. If you didn't you would get burned.

I don't disagree that Reed should be in the HOF. The fact is, that other WRs are in that have produced less. But as Bills fans we need to let go of this "everyone hates us" chip on our shoulders.

I agree with this...but I also think some Bills fans need to get the "I hate the Super Bowl" era Bills players chip off their shoulders at the same time.

hall of fame not hall of stats. Even the name says it all.

It all depends on what argument somebody is trying to win! :lol:

NFLN is broadcasting a show analyzing the HOF announcement of the 25 semi finalists. A panel is debating Tim Brown vs Andre Reed. 3 of the four panelists say they believe Reed gets in before Brown.

Then Silver goes on to say someone has to explain to him why Andre Reed quit in a playoff game before he ever views him as a HOFer. It was a pretty damning statement. When questioned what game Andre "quit" in, Silver says something along the lines of "I don't know, I think I remember something, maybe at the end of his career, I'm not sure".

After such a strong accusation for him to basically say that he doesn't even really remember if that happened or not, made him seem like an unprofessional douche who had an axe to grind. Thank god he doesn't really have a vote.

Does anyone remember Andre quitting in the playoffs? I believe he was once ejected but that is different

I recall Andre getting a severe case of alligator arms in Super Bowl XXV after getting absolutely laid out as the Bills were driving from right to left. He may not have quit, but he sure seemed to disappear...

Cris Carter never dominated games, but he's in the HOF. So is Art Monk. I would put Andre in way before either of those guys.

This pretty well sums up my opinion. If guys like this, Irvin and Sapp, get in... Reed should easily be in. He's not in the HOF today for one reason only. He retired and dropped off the radar; no announcing gigs, no analyst gigs, no real public ass kissing of the voters.

This simply isn't true. Reed only had 1000 yards four times and over 70 catches only five times. He piled up impressive lifetime stats because he played for a very long time. But he was never, ever near the top in in terms WR production in any single year.

With regard to receiving yardage rankings, here's how he did in the Levy era (1986-96), which coincided with his prime:

1986 - didn't make the top ten

1987 - didn't make the top ten

1988 - didn't make the top ten

1989 - 5th

1990 - didn't make the top ten

1991 - 6th

1992 - didn't make the top ten

1993 - didn't make the top ten

1994 - 5th

1995 - didn't place (injured)

1996 - didn't make the top ten

Bills fans need to take off the blinders. Reed was a very good player, but he was never a dominant player who took over games.

If you ask me, the YAC stat was basically invented for him. That said, you have to understand that the way that defenses respected Thurman helped open things up for Reed.

I agree with this...but I also think some Bills fans need to get the "I hate the Super Bowl" era Bills players chip off their shoulders at the same time.

It all depends on what argument somebody is trying to win! :lol:

yup

Silver is an idiot if he did indeed say that. Reed got a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct flag thrown at him in SB 26,because he was incensed that he was being interfered with constantly....this particular flag, as I recall, came on a third down play, and took the Bills out of field goal range...the game was not a blowout yet, so it was viewed as costly. He was also ejected from the 1998 playoff game against the Dolphins, in the final moments, when the ref ruled that he hadn't broken the plane of the endzone as time was running down...as you recall, Flutie was stripped of the ball on the next play by Trace Armstrong...as time ran out. Reed never quit a playoff game... just curious how Silver will view his NFLN co-worker, LaDanian Tomlinson when he is eligible...

I never blamed him for that. I was so incensed by what was going on, I would have done the same thing. Nobody talks about what the refs did in Super Bowl 26.

I think nowadays, that ship has sailed in journalism (see MSNBC, CNBC, NBC.........)

It's what is reported that counts. not the substance or truth of the reporting. If that was the case, the current President wouldn't be the current President.

In terms of the HOF, there seems to be a leaning towards players with a very partial media behind them (Sapp, Irvin, Carter) and a few others that I just can't think of off the top of my head but the bias is there.........and yes, possibly the numbers for those players might help them but they still don't stack up with some players of the 60's, 70's or 80's when the game was a bit different overall.

See FOX News, ya mean? Or any of the last few Republican presidents either, ya mean?

Why do people drag politics into a discussion like this, unnecessarily?

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

I recall Andre getting a severe case of alligator arms in Super Bowl XXV after getting absolutely laid out as the Bills were driving from right to left. He may not have quit, but he sure seemed to disappear...

I remember him making his living going over the middle, and making huge plays on short crossing patterns all season long, in the most dangerous areas of the field.

I'm watching Reed touchdowns and it's so great it sickens me to think of how anemic the offense has been since. It just looks so easy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z__w7_Eo030

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Jerry Rice seems to think Andre Reed belongs in the HOF....what would he know?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-hall-of-fame/0ap2000000285352/Hall-of-Fame-Jerry-Rice-on-most-deserving-wide-receiver-candidates

I remember him making his living going over the middle, and making huge plays on short crossing patterns all season long, in the most dangerous areas of the field.

I'm watching Reed touchdowns and it's so great it sickens me to think of how anemic the offense has been since. It just looks so easy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z__w7_Eo030

Yes, I have heard this misconception repeated numerous times over the last few years, that Andre Reed couldn't/wouldn't "go over the middle"..which only proves to me that his detractors either really didn't see him play very much, didn't know what they were watching, or just don't know wtf they are talking about...

I don't remember one good goddam thing about that Steelers game related to Andre Reed "quitting." I do remember Bruce not getting a flu shot, and I remember Kelly breaking his collarbone. But Andre quitting? As an earlier poster said, Andre was nowhere near 100% all year long.

Who the hell is Mike Silver anyway?

Maybe he's talking about THE drop in SB XXV?

Ha ha, I was going to almost say the same thing, but I think it's the drops, not drop. I watched that game again a few years ago and he dropped like five passes that game. But that one that would have been a first down ya.

Anyone else think the HOF is a glorified popularity contest?

CBF

Yes

No. Nobody thinks that.

Apparently I'm nobody :cry:

Seriously though when it comes to borderline HOFers doesn't it seem like those that are still in the limelight make it more often. ESPN/NFL Network analysts seem to get a bump. I'm surprised Carter's off the field troubles weren't even MENTIONED when he was up for election and then when he made it in. Whether it is that they are in the public eye or buddy buddy with the election comittee it is at least a strange coincidence.

As an aside - it is very difficult finding out who sits on this comittee. Anyone better at the internet than me that can find a list? It would be interesting to say the least.

I never blamed him for that. I was so incensed by what was going on, I would have done the same thing. Nobody talks about what the refs did in Super Bowl 26.

During that game, I remember asking a buddy of mine (sarcastically) whether the NFL had suspended pass interference calls. It was completely ridiculous.