Manuel and the deep ball

Thirdborn

I'm wondering if the wind was a factor in Manuel's favor. Yesterday he was letting the ball fly, wasn't trying to 'guide' the ball. Is it because he had to let it rip in the wind? I don't know, but, it's the only thing I've been able to come up with to explain his game yesterday. If that's the case he needs to remember how he played yesterday and keep doing it.

I see what you are saying. Start tuel when weather is nice, and go with EJ when the wind is over 20 mph. I like it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering if the wind was a factor in Manuel's favor. Yesterday he was letting the ball fly, wasn't trying to 'guide' the ball. Is it because he had to let it rip in the wind? I don't know, but, it's the only thing I've been able to come up with to explain his game yesterday. If that's the case he needs to remember how he played yesterday and keep doing it.

Or he just hasn't played in weeks and after a poor but safe game they told him to open it up.

Not here. All out blitz, no safeties... I love that he just threw it up and gave Graham a chance to beat a rookie DB...

No no no no hell no. Manuel had a great day I thought hitting the slants and outs, largely due to the Jets DBs playing off so far (and Manuel and the WRs recognizing it). But that long ball was very horrifying. Manuel did not put the ball up for Graham to use his speed to run under it. He put up a jump ball into the wind that should never have been thrown, much less completed. Any competent DB is able to at least defend it or even intercept. Manuel deserves a lot of praise for his play yesterday, but not that particular one.

No no no no hell no. Manuel had a great day I thought hitting the slants and outs, largely due to the Jets DBs playing off so far (and Manuel and the WRs recognizing it). But that long ball was very horrifying. Manuel did not put the ball up for Graham to use his speed to run under it. He put up a jump ball into the wind that should never have been thrown, much less completed. Any competent DB is able to at least defend it or even intercept. Manuel deserves a lot of praise for his play yesterday, but not that particular one.

I said this in another thread, but I really liked that play. EJ knew he had single coverage on the outside, it was an all-out blitz, and 3rd down (I think). Just throwing the ball up there was a clever move. At worst, it's a pick, and then probably no different than a punt.

I said this in another thread, but I really liked that play. EJ knew he had single coverage on the outside, it was an all-out blitz, and 3rd down (I think). Just throwing the ball up there was a clever move. At worst, it's a pick, and then probably no different than a punt.

I am certainly no turd-polisher, and I thought it was a great throw. He was about to get drilled, saw that the coverage was over-the-top and inside, and tossed up a prayer as far outside as he could. Graham tracked it and made a nice play.

I'll disagree with you. Actually the Jets completed a very similar play in this very game. He threw the ball, the wind grabbed the ball, the wr made an adjustment. More times than you realize do qbs throw balls up and let the reciever adjust to it. Specifically on deep balls. Was it a perfect pass in a perfect spot? No. It was however, a pass to a spot that his receiver could make a play on it.

His TD to Goodwin went about 47 yards in the air and hit the fastest player on the field in the hands without breaking stride. Directly into the same wind that made Folk's FG attempt corkscrew into the seats. One of the best deep balls by a Bills QB in a long, long time.

he was throwing into the wind in all of those throws yesterday. Every single one. They were all in the tunnel side end zone which is where the Jets missed a fairly easy FG.

He never had the advantage of the wind on any of those long throws yesterday.

i was about to reply the same thing. graham (for once) made a nice adjustment on the ball

That TD pass made me think of the Bridgestone commercials where they have Troy Aikman throwing a pass using a ball made from the tire materials ("Giddyup now, Deon!"). I know it was just the wind, but the trajectory of the ball looked like he put a backspin on it to intentionally make it hold up in the air. Luckiest TD I've seen in a long time.

Really? He's been injured all year, and is the only guy I know of to school Revis so badly. Let's not get hasty.

EJ and Marrone had good days yesterday, so Stevie is the easy one to go after since he didn't play. Caught me by surprise as I was waiting for people to want McKelvin's scalp* for the dropped endzone pick.

*The reference to McKelvin's scalp is strictly metaphoric and in no way is meant to cast an unfavorable light on any Native Americans...or Tim Graham.

While doing my pregame reading yesterday morning I came across several references to the coaches encouraging EJ to "let it rip" all week in practice. Let's hope it continues.

While doing my pregame reading yesterday morning I came across several references to the coaches encouraging EJ to "let it rip" all week in practice. Let's hope it continues.

My favorite news of the week was that the team was practicing outdoors. Some players gave credit to that fact helping the team. I think it was hugely beneficial. Knowing the elements and practicing in the elements only can help prepare players. Marrone pushed the right buttons this week for sure!

The TD to Graham was horrifying.

Agreed, but the wind caught the ball. When he let it go I thought it had interception written all over it. Still it was nice to have a break go our way - don't forget EJ had a similar throw that his receiver made a good play on.

Not here. All out blitz, no safeties... I love that he just threw it up and gave Graham a chance to beat a rookie DB...

I am certainly no turd-polisher, and I thought it was a great throw. He was about to get drilled, saw that the coverage was over-the-top and inside, and tossed up a prayer as far outside as he could. Graham tracked it and made a nice play.

Totally agree. I'm not sure how much of the throw hanging up there was due to the wind and how much due to him being hit right as he threw, but it was a fine (and quick!) decision by EJ. Barring a totally blown coverage or DB falling down, there's never going to be a deep bomb where the receiver is open when the ball is thrown. All the QB can really do is recognize single coverage with no help (check), and huck it up in a way that gives his guy a chance to win the 1-on-1 matchup. With our guys, that'll usually mean throwing it really far and hoping our WR outruns the DB, but in this case, we got lucky with a way underthrown ball. But even if we didn't get lucky, I still like the decision. Worst case is an INT that's basically a punt. That's fine. Much more likely is an incomplete pass, which is still way better than the sack he would've taken if he didn't make that throw. Remember, it was an all-out blitz and Manuel was hit on a 3-step drop. Remember also, it was 3rd and 12.

If our receivers can't consistently win those 1-on-1 matchups, then we need to get better receivers. As long as the QB is giving them a fair chance (which he didn't do in the first Jets game), that's all you can ask for.

Flatulence is the key to EJ's good play? That's weird and gross, but if it works, I'm fine with it. I just feel bad for the poor bastards whose lockers are next to EJ's.

I'll add my 2 cents about the first TD.

It was a risky pass for sure, but the reward was much greater than the risk. It was 3rd and 12 from the jets 34. As you guys have said, it was against the wind, so you know Marrone was going to punt if it was an incomplete pass. EJ was about to get sacked, so it was absolutely going to be a punt if EJ goes down.

Worst case scenario is one of the DB's makes a play on the ball, picks it off and is able to run for a big return. The more likely scenario is a DB picks it off and is tackled at the 6, similar to a very good punt.

EJ took some chances, something people have been criticizing him about not doing. It was a calculated risk with a high reward and I liked it, well loved it since it was a TD.

Were you not entertained? I wondered if he could, or was allowed to make those throws... into the wind, no less. I think there is a huge upside to EJ Manuel. If the season ended today, I would say that every position, from top to bottom, is as good as or better than last years. I'm not smelling the old carcass of the last decade .... It smells good

very entertained and pleased. its about freaking time!!!

And yet I see a guy like Drew Brees get away with throwing balls into coverages and windows that he probably shouldn't but he gets away with it. It happens.